Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya ZD 22 MP Digital Back...?  (Read 7115 times)

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
Mamiya ZD 22 MP Digital Back...?
« on: January 23, 2011, 03:28:32 pm »

I know the early versions of the Mamiya ZD 22 MP Digital Backs had some issues, namely that it had some ugly "purple worms"....
I am just wondering whether you are recommending this back for people photography for someone who is just about to enter the MF world. I am planning to buy a top back in the near future but I just want to get a more affordable back to start with...

1. Have you ever owned this back? Did you like it? Didn't you like it?

2. Does it make sense to start with a cheaper back?

3. How about colors on this back compared to other backs?

Thanks!

gmerrell

Re: Mamiya ZD 22 MP Digital Back...?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:45:17 pm »

I owned and used the ZD back for about a year. I now use the P45 back.
I liked the ZD back. I used it mostly for landscape. Never saw any purple worms no matter how hard I looked.
The exposure had to be perfect to get good results. The back doesn't compare to the P45 but if it could be bought
cheap enough it might be a good entry MF back for an amateur. I wouldn't waste the time if you are a professional.

Good luck

GM

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 10:15:17 pm »

A few of the very early versions of the ZD back had the purple problem. Those were repaired/replaced. The issue was resolved and subsequent backs did not have that problem. I had shot with the ZD back, actually the camera version, that is with the Mamiya 645AFDII body. I probably was the first person editorially published with photos from it, a cover and two magazine features.

Anyway I thought it did an excellent job for the money, but now there is some competition with newer backs at almost the price range of the ZD. With that said, a good ZD back at the right price could be really good.

Here is a story about shooting with the ZD; on my Blog just about 3 years ago...

http://secondfocus.blogspot.com/2008/02/mamiya-645zd-its-winner.html
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 11:56:12 am »

A few of the very early versions of the ZD back had the purple problem. Those were repaired/replaced. The issue was resolved and subsequent backs did not have that problem.

Above is absolutely correct. At time it was reported that certain batches had the 'purple worms' issue which had been encountered and reported by Frank Doorhof. That was limited to certain batches of ZD backs only. It was reportedly reported by Mamiya as corrected and fixed, gone and NO MORE.

On other hand, what should be recognized clear was that the 'purple worms' issue was very limited. Instead that what I brought fourth at the time can be labelled as 'purple artifacts' and which was what I posted in thread on 'Mamiya ZD has problem' here at LuLa at the time, and which appeared to to be true for ALL ZD backs and ALL ZD cameras at the time (and for sure those backs and cameras that my agent tested; all of them had same issue). Technically I was told by someone in industry without naming a name, that the hardware and firmware was not properly implemented into ZD. It is unknown what has been corrected if anything in the backs since then (one could speculate in cost issue), because Mamiya unfortunate have stayed quiet and not come frank to inform. Thus I would advise to be cautious of old series ZD backs.

What can be said are two things:
1. It is possible (but I do not know if so) that raw converters such as latest Capture One assist to tune down the purple artifact problem, and thus confirmation should be referred to new users (but do look with critical eye for purple and purple artifacts in darker regions). Back around 2007 when I used ZD the purple artifacts even showed in blacks when photographing a color chart under office lighting at ISO 50 (thus this could be something to test for, but do use critical eyes)...
2. Leaf Aptus 22 backs with same identical sensor from Dalsa (same sensor as ZD) did not have same problem. They are available used.
Myself I went with Leaf Aptus 65 which was cheaper than Aptus 22 at the time, but a newer generation sensor (44x33 instead of 48x36 but more MP :) ). No single problem at all with this one. Complete solid, thank you Leaf!

Indeed the ZD could produce high quality images, but restricted under certain conditions at the time, which were uniform strong light. As for that it is hungry for light, I would assume that part remains.

In the end you are the one to judge risk of quality vs. risk of cost. There are options of used/refurbished backs from Leaf and Phase One with which there can also be provided good support if you speak to an agent.

Myself I know where I put the $, and I will put it again on a Leaf :). It all bottoms down to risk, support and personal choice.

To clarify: All of above is meant to inform of sheer facts. Nothing else.

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:06:21 pm by Anders_HK »

billthecat

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 01:50:18 pm »

I've had a ZD back for a few years. I'd suggest to get an Aptus 22 if possible, but from what I can tell the ZD files are similar to the Aptus but not quite as good.

My ZD back freezes up often, but pushing display clears that up. Every so often it has a major freeze where I reset with the battery. Then the back might go to sleep and I have to start it up, but that isn't the fault of the back. Every now and then I have a funny color effect where it seems the black level is set wrong, and I reset with the battery, so I have to keep a look out on the LCD, but the screen is slow displaying images, perhaps 8 seconds after taking, but if you take a lot of images you might have to wait a minute to see the last one.

My AFD2 body sometimes freezes up on it's own, and I reset with the body batter removal. Then sometimes a lens on the AFD2 looses connection to camera and it reports no F stop on the top, but I can reset and fix that, though I often don't notice that in time.

I checked all my contacts and cleaned them but they appear to be fine.

Every so often I have a file corrupted on the ZD but it only happens to one image.

The LCD is pretty bad on the ZD but you get used to it and you can see something, and it works outdoors. If I see the image is ok on the LCD it has always come out correctly, but the problem is that you can't check each image on the LCD as it's too slow, but I try to keep checking when I can.

Bill

Aztecaphoto

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 06:30:59 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up