Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477906 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #1400 on: January 08, 2013, 04:53:18 pm »

You're right: The second one looks more like Vermeer, because his models always face left toward the window light.
I don't think Vermeer used Compact Fluorescent lightbulbs.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #1401 on: January 08, 2013, 05:24:25 pm »

It was one of those... but what is the infra-red issue with it?

Apparently they are very spiky on the far red of the spectrum. So much so, that it even throws off the autofocus. The color spectrum doesn't play well with Canon sensors. I remember having significant problems trying to calibrate my camera during development of a calibrator, and I also continuously got unsharp color-checker images. I was like wtf? It's only a flat colorchecker? Until I read somewhere about the spectrum and realised that a lens exhibits chromatic aberrations which will focus red light slightly differently. (I used both a 24-70 mk 1, and a 200 mk2).

Before exaggerating the camera issue, I suppose it is primarily an issue of iso 6400 + light-source that is the problem here. I look forward to seeing some natural daylight images of similar subject matter. We are apparently sentenced to enjoying our cameras for a little while longer...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #1402 on: January 11, 2013, 01:00:40 pm »

My wife & youngest son. A part-family portrait? Just a snapshot at the time, but I quite like it & feel I should return for a more formal, planned shot.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:03:02 pm by Chairman Bill »

Rob C

« Reply #1403 on: January 11, 2013, 02:47:40 pm »

My wife & youngest son. A part-family portrait? Just a snapshot at the time, but I quite like it & feel I should return for a more formal, planned shot.

Never do that: the failure rate's too high. It's the downside of all recces: you learn the geography but lose the excitement of discovery.

I thought I should buy a cheap guitar this morning; then, I cast my mind back many, many decades and that old déjà vu saved the moment. Not everything had its Golden Age for me.

;-(

Rob C

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #1404 on: January 11, 2013, 03:33:01 pm »

I got my battered old Yamaha SG700s nice & cheap (second-hand, of course). Sounds wonderful. Sometimes cheap is good.

Rob C

« Reply #1405 on: January 11, 2013, 05:56:19 pm »

I got my battered old Yamaha SG700s nice & cheap (second-hand, of course). Sounds wonderful. Sometimes cheap is good.

Maybe so, but I'd still have a tin ear! I was bought a guitar when I was eleven or twelve, went to lessons and was told by the teacher that I should consider some fixed pitch instrument. Like an accordion. But I still remember E A D G B E! Almost there, then. Except that I've got small hands, too. Sigh.

Rob C

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #1406 on: January 11, 2013, 06:13:20 pm »

I realized I've never posted an image, or at least one I can remember so I thought I'd share this one.  A Mother and Marine Son.   I made the capture outdoors in 14f weather with a bit of snow falling.

----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #1407 on: January 11, 2013, 08:02:35 pm »

You might return for another go, but I find it beyond my imagination that exquisite moment of a son's love, enfolded within his beautiful long fingers and the deep calm and safety reflected in his eyes and the soft gaze of mother/wife, the link/completion between father and son is one you could "direct" for a more formal go at it. I most definitely agree with Rob's assessment. This is quite satisfyingly beautiful...this to me represents well recognized, well seen, magically captured...a fine portrait.
A common woman~

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #1408 on: January 12, 2013, 04:34:25 am »

Patricia - that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about one of my photographs. Thank you.

Rob C

« Reply #1409 on: January 13, 2013, 02:30:21 pm »

Just to prove it wasn't girls all the time, even when they were there: shot during a Tennent's Lager calendar production.

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:25:35 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #1410 on: January 13, 2013, 02:39:50 pm »

Such wonderfully organic form in that structure Rob.

WalterEG

« Reply #1411 on: January 13, 2013, 02:45:54 pm »

When I found and shot the rusted old Chevvy Ute (pick-up?) I was actually in the vicinity to shoot a motif on the other side of the road:

W

Rob C

« Reply #1412 on: January 13, 2013, 04:36:58 pm »

Sometimes I really do wish that I still owned a lens with PC; I sometimes wish all lenses could do that!

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1413 on: January 20, 2013, 06:40:09 am »

Another recent masterpiece from the Samsung Sub-Minox.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:25:54 pm by Rob C »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #1414 on: January 20, 2013, 09:58:59 am »

I don't know if your Nikon can do as well, but, if this hull is still avalable, you might reshoot it, so as to be able to print this Sub-Minox find larger some day.

Bruce
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:01:08 am by Bruce Cox »

Rob C

« Reply #1415 on: January 20, 2013, 11:35:18 am »

I don't know if your Nikon can do as well, but, if this hull is still avalable, you might reshoot it, so as to be able to print this Sub-Minox find larger some day.

Bruce

Bruce, as with pretty much everything shot with the cellphone, it's followed by regret.

The boat's been painted below the waterline and taken back out to sea because the kid who was trying to restore it ran out of marina money; I think he now hopes it'll sink before summer. Such the dreams of youth: optimism without a touch of research.

Sadness comes in so many disguises...

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1416 on: January 20, 2013, 11:46:27 am »

My usual stroll down by the boats was impossible today - well, without leaving my mind at home - but I thought I'd better shoot something anyway, just to make sure I don't forget what I'm supposed to do with that little thing in my windcheater pocket. I was thinking about a mug of coffee, one of those delightful almond-chip biscuits the local pasteleria provides, all accompanied by two squares of chocolate (dark, unsweetened). I'm finishing it off the noo, but the crumbs like to get into the keyboard, which doesn't help much.

Oh well, the wood fire's on this afternoon; psychologically cheering. Nothing's on tv tonight, though...

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:28:24 pm by Rob C »

popnfresh

« Reply #1417 on: January 20, 2013, 01:26:25 pm »

Moody and effective. I like it.

WalterEG

« Reply #1418 on: January 20, 2013, 01:38:49 pm »

Delightfully pensive shot there Rob,

We've all had drizzly afternoons stuck in the car like that.

Surely coffee and chocky are over invigorating for a calm peaceful stroll.

Rob C

« Reply #1419 on: January 20, 2013, 02:26:57 pm »

Thanks, pop; the windscreen might have shown the rain a bit better than it has, but these 'phones self-focus (or should that be autofocus?) and I suppose it locked onto something far away.

Walter - pensive is really a bad habit from which I seem to find difficulty moving on from (?) but the squally weather's just too much for actual walking. I have a brolly with me, but mostly it's in imitation of city gent: furled. The wind would ruin it more than time has already!

Got home to find that the water pump for the block has given up the ghost. Now would be a good time to have an auxiliary outdoor loo with a bucket. So, tomorrow morning it's a call to the Administrator to send his plumber... there's a saying that it never rains but it pours. These 'incidents' drive me to distraction and I wonder why there are no nice, gravity-fed header tanks in these buildings like in Britain, but best not pursue that line of thought right now.

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 75   Go Up