Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: photoshop enhance then enlarge or enlarge then enhance  (Read 1829 times)

canvasdomain

• canvasdomain - quality canvas art
photoshop enhance then enlarge or enlarge then enhance
« on: October 24, 2010, 10:39:12 am »

what is the best practice to get maximum quality do the work first then enlarge to required size or to resize first?
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!!

http://www.canvasdomain.co.uk/

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: photoshop enhance then enlarge or enlarge then enhance
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 12:15:38 pm »

I don't know if it's best or not (just a hunch), but I always do all my work (except sharpening) on the original pixels from the camera.
I then save to have a base file I like.
After that I can up/down rez the base file many times for a specific output medium and size (glossy or  matt paper, screen,....) and sharpen to taste
pieter, aka pegelli

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 04:23:02 pm »

I'd say take one image and try it both ways and print each.

If you can find a difference for the good, that's the tract to take. Otherwise, it may be simply a toss-up as to which method works for enlargement.

However, if you are simply going small, always work on the native res of the file as your largest image. Work it once and be done with it. You can always shrink the image down to a single pixel quite well, but enlarging an image you put sweat into at 4x6 and then realize you need much larger, you need to start at square one.

When it comes to shrinking a master image down, the image looks just fine using bicubic sharper as the method to throw away your pixels.

For large images, in the past few years, I've tried opening an image at the max in ACR and later taking my image and enlarging it in PS. Sometimes I've had to use both methods to get the needed size.

Between enlarging using Bicubic in PS and going for the max in ACR, it's hard to tell which one is better, so I don't worry about it too much. Both seem to look just fine when the ink hits the paper.

In any case, the last step of any of these processes is to sharpen your output print file as the last step and save the file with a new name. Your master files should remain unsharpened and with all your layers intact so that you don't skew the pixels any more than you need to.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Lightsmith

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:42:43 am »

Normally I am going to reduce the size of the image or do moderate enlargements and so all the adjustments are done before changing the size except for sharpening which I always do on the output sized image and not before. I have done significant enlargements and always done this after making adjustments and suspect that the PS algorithm is smart enough to avoid problems.

Where I do get image conversion problems is usually in the very first step in converting from RAW and not downstream.

Easy to test for yourself on different printer types with a portion of an image cropped and then enlarged 400% and printed on a 8x10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up