Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matting using paper white reveal  (Read 1792 times)

Paul Stalker

Matting using paper white reveal
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:16:52 pm »

I really like to see some paper white between the image and mat. There is something special about seeing the actual edge of the photo. I feel cheated or that I'm cheating someone if the edge of the photo is hidden behind the mat. I wonder what's under there and what am I missing? So besides liking the actual look of showing the edge of the photo I guess I prefer it philosophically. A bonus is that a signature or any text shows on the original print surface. Another bonus is you partly get the look of double-matting with just one mat. What I'm wondering is how the rest of the world sees this. I'd like to know how pro framers, exhibitors, and galleries feel about this, as well as photographers.
cheers,
Paul

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: Matting using paper white reveal
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 12:41:12 am »

I've seen it done both ways. Do what you like!

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

aduke

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 02:11:18 am »

I was taught that the reveal was the "right" way to do it for a "museum" mount. I think I  still prefer it even though my current mounting procedure, for my own enjoyment, is to cold-mount on black foam-core trimmed to the edge of the image.

Alan

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 12:31:15 pm »

On prints of 20x30 or smaller, I typically leave a half inch reveal on sides and top and three quarters on the bottom to accommodate my signature. I think this is particularly pleasing with matte papers, especially if I'm printing on one with texture. As I print for a lot of artists as well as photographers, I have found that artists are more likely to do this but photographers are coming around to the idea now, too.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

framah

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 01:02:23 pm »

Rule number 2 is to ignore rule number 1 whenever necessary. Whatever works for you is ok. I frame stuff both ways. If you like to see the paper, then by all means, show it. If not, don't.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Light Seeker

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 01:35:38 pm »

I like to leave some paper showing when I mat. I also like to match the mat colour to the paper base. This pops the specular highlights and creates a seamless, pseudo double mat look.

Terry.

BradSmith

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 08:47:42 pm »

I think it is fine to do IF ........and for me its a big IF.........the mat can very closely match the paper color.   I hate to see a mismatch.  I recently purchased a print with signature from another photographer and wanted to reveal the signature when framed.   When I went to mat and frame it, I couldn't find a rag mat that was as white as the paper.  Came as close as I could, but every time I look at it the mismatch is what I see first. 

Brad

Light Seeker

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 12:26:10 am »

I think it is fine to do IF ........and for me its a big IF.........the mat can very closely match the paper color.   I hate to see a mismatch.

I completely agree. The match is very important.

Terry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up