Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Purple fringing on the EF-S 17-85 IS?  (Read 1568 times)

didger

Purple fringing on the EF-S 17-85 IS?
« on: September 03, 2004, 02:53:15 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']According to a huge amount of forum and review research I've done on wide angle lenses, and also a lot of personal testing, I've come to the realization that EVERY Japanese designed lens at 15 to 21mm or so has substantial chromatic aberration and substantial corner softness and poor contrast, not just if it's a $900 lens, also if it's a $1600 L glass or top of the line Nikon lens.  This is true for the most expensive Canon and Nikon ultrawide lenses as well as Sigma, Tamron, etc.  For small sensor cameras it's not so important and with zoom lenses used at longer focal lengths these problems are much less prominent.
Since I only do landscape shooting and I use wide and ultrawide lenses most of the time, I bought 4 Zeiss distagon lenses and use them with my eos 1ds with adapters.  There's no alternative if you want ultrawide lenses that take full advantage of the high res sensor of a 1ds.[/font]

cheever

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 06:57:00 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']According to a huge amount of forum and review research I've done on wide angle lenses, and also a lot of personal testing, I've come to the realization that EVERY Japanese designed lens at 15 to 21mm or so has substantial chromatic aberration and substantial corner softness and poor contrast, not just if it's a $900 lens, also if it's a $1600 L glass or top of the line Nikon lens.  This is true for the most expensive Canon and Nikon ultrawide lenses as well as Sigma, Tamron, etc.  For small sensor cameras it's not so important and with zoom lenses used at longer focal lengths these problems are much less prominent.
Since I only do landscape shooting and I use wide and ultrawide lenses most of the time, I bought 4 Zeiss distagon lenses and use them with my eos 1ds with adapters.  There's no alternative if you want ultrawide lenses that take full advantage of the high res sensor of a 1ds.[/font]
[font color=\'#000000\']Didger where did you purchase the Zeiss lenses from and what cameras does the adaptor work with?[/font]

Eug

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 01:35:53 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Over at another forum I see one report talking about purple fringing at the wide end, with the 17-85 IS. Has anyone seen pix with this at the other focal lengths? If it's just at the wide end and it's mild I can live with it. However, if it's throughout the zoom range that would be bad, for a CAD$900 lens.

I do note that Luminous Landscape says it's a "very fine lens" however.[/font]

BJL

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 05:50:11 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']
Over at another forum I see one report talking about purple fringing at the wide end, with the 17-85 IS. ...
I have a suggestion for dealing with possible image imperfections seen when images are viewed on-screen, effectively enlarged to about 100ppi.

If one is serious about image quality, any images intended to be viewed from less than about 20 inches (50cm) are likely to be printed with at least 200ppi, probably finer. So for on-screen assessment at similar viewing distances, choose a magnification that corresponds to at least 200 camera pixels per inch of screen (8p/mm). On a typical monitor, this means no more than "50% magnification": at least two camera pixels for each of those rather coarse monitor pixels. (maybe up to 60% on a 16" viewable, 1200x1600 monitor.)

- If you cannot see it then, it is probably irrelevant to print quality.

- If still in doubt, make and study prints instead.[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up