Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full Size 24x36 Nikon Sensor on Horizon???  (Read 2815 times)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Full Size 24x36 Nikon Sensor on Horizon???
« on: August 04, 2004, 08:01:52 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']If it was true, it would represent a complete volte face by Nikon.  

I therefore seriously doubt that it is true.  I am not aware of any rumours backing this up.

Quentin[/font]
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

gtal

• http://www.scenicwild.com
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 01:08:12 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I see little value in more Nikon vs. Canon fodder, but since I don't use either, I'll try to bring some historic perspective here: Nikon has often been late to market with new products, sometimes months and years behind schedule, only to rise from the ashes with category-leading products when they're finally ready.
While this has been frustrating to many Nikon users, and didn't take into account Canon's rise to power, it may well be worth the wait. If and when the next Nikon digital flagship will be to DSLR's what the F5 is to 35mm, it may well be worth keeping all that wonderful Nikon glass around.

I think it might be a while before Linhof introduces their digital body so I'm probably looking at a somewhat longer wait

Guy[/font]
Scenic Wild Photography
http://www.sc

IanS

• http://www.pbase.com/ian_stickland
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 03:05:35 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']If you have a D70 it's likely you also have DX lenses which means full frame may not be great news for you...

It seems all manufacturers have decided that except at the high end smaller sensors rule. I have no problem with this and can see the logic.

What I do find interesting though is Canon's strategy. As MR has pointed out, the 1Ds is in the ballpark to give MF a run for it's money, and I'm sure it will improve still further. This puts Canon in a unique position amongst it's competitors where it's using existing 35mm gear to compete in a different market segment using the same smaller, lighter, etc. arguments that Olympus is using against FF 35mm.

It will be interesting to see how that pans out I feel.[/font]

Quadra950

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 04:48:21 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']The D1s has banding issues if underexposed; the Kodaks were relatively limited to studio use, but look to better now.  Contax's full-frame body never really happened.  Canon's 1.3x sensor has mixed reviews (is it soft or not?!?! - depends who's talking).  Full frame is coming, but probably not as fast as some consumers want.  

Then there's another curious question of sensors outresolving today's lenses.  If the cameras go full-frame and we start seeing 14 to 22 MP sensors in 2 to 3 years, not too many lenses will stand up to the test.

Photokina can't come fast enough; I'm not really itching to buy anything - I just want to see whether this next round of bodies is more evolution or revolution.  I'm guessing evolution, but hoping to be surprised.[/font]

Kirk Anderson

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 10:55:54 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I heard a rumor from one of the Nikon Dealers in SLC, Utah that Nikon might unvail a full 24x35mm sensor camera at Photokina in Germany this fall.  Am I just hearing what I want to hear or is there any truth to this rumor?  With all my Nikon lenses and playing around with my new  D70 toy I would love for this to be true.

Please be true!

Kirk[/font]

Sfleming

• http://
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 12:38:07 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I heard a rumor from one of the Nikon Dealers in SLC, Utah that Nikon might unvail a full 24x35mm sensor camera at Photokina in Germany this fall.  Am I just hearing what I want to hear or is there any truth to this rumor?  With all my Nikon lenses and playing around with my new  D70 toy I would love for this to be true.

Please be true!

Kirk[/font]
[font color=\'#000000\']We knew you were out there somewhere.  The  last person on earth to switch to Canon.  :p

Just  kidding you.  It's a shame Nikon has removed themselves so far from any  real competition with  Canon.  It's not good for anybody.  maybe they can claw their way back.

Knowing how the Japanese are when it comes to competition and being on top they must  have sent several execs out to commit sepuku by now.[/font]

BJL

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 03:09:35 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']If you want a DSLR in the traditional 24x36mm format that uses Nikon lenses, lens mounts, AF mechanisms, light metering and other components, Kodak will sell you one.

On the other hand, Nikon has repeatedly and emphatically stated that their DSLRs wil stay at the DX format, and the commitment is both verbal and financial, due to their investment in all the new lenses intended for DX format.

So either

a) Nikon is persistently lying, and is wasting vast resources developing DX lenses and such, and is planning to burn a huge amount of goodwill by stranding its customers with lenses that will be of little use on their future professional DSLR models,
or
 No such camera is coming from Nikon anytime soon, if ever.

Of course there is one more, long term possibility:

c) Nikon still honestly but wrongly believes that they can make do with DX format, showing that they understand photographic equipment and the photographic market less well than numerous chat-room participants who know that the future is 24x36, and Nikon will have to either abandon that strategy in favor of a larger DSLR format at some stage, or surrender the professional DSLR market to Canon, Kodak, et al.

I go for (, with Nikon reasoning that the 24x36 market is small and specialized enough to be handled through the current Kodak models.

Options (a) and © seem like ill-informed wishful thinking. The fact that Olympus and Pentax are acting similarly makes it seem even less likely that all three of those companies are run by liars and/or incompetents.[/font]

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2004, 05:28:23 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']
As MR has pointed out, the 1Ds is in the ballpark to give MF a run for it's money, and I'm sure it will improve still further. This puts Canon in a unique position amongst it's competitors where it's using existing 35mm gear to compete in a different market segment using the same smaller, lighter, etc. arguments that Olympus is using against FF 35mm.
Not quite unique, because Kodak have the SLR/n.

Things move fast in Digital.  Remember it was Nikon who started the whole affordable DSLR thing with the D1.  And Nikon are still doing very well in their key pro markets.  The D2H is seeling like hot cakes amongst photojournalists, for example.

The D70 is also a class-leading product. Nikon lag in only one market, the high-resolutiion full frame 35mm body market, and while that might be our focus of interest on this board, from an overall sales perspective, it is not that important, and in any event, by the time of Photokina, I'd guess they'll have that market (maybe not full frame, but high resolution) covered too.

Quentin[/font]
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato
Pages: [1]   Go Up