Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Art Wolfe's 'Travels to the Edge'  (Read 30130 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Art Wolfe's 'Travels to the Edge'
« on: October 07, 2010, 01:36:40 pm »

I have posted the first of a new (to Lu-La) series of videos in our Store.

Art Wolfe's 'Travels to the Edge'

It is Season 1; Episode 6: Alaska - Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

The product is not yet generally announced and may make a revised disappearance/appearance in the store as I modify things. However, if purchased, the download file will always be available.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:09:47 pm by Chris Sanderson »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Art Wolfe's 'Travels to the Edge'
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 05:44:56 pm »

Now the first episode Bolivia: The Altiplano

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 12:20:22 pm »

Bo Koue Callesen

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 03:09:28 pm »

It looks like the Alaska - Glacier Bay file (t2e_01-02.zip) is damaged, I have now tried 3 downloads and all files are reported as a damaged zip file, whereas the other files did download OK.

/Bo

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 04:33:30 pm »

Sorry about that. I will have to pull the product off line. I will not be able to replace it until Sunday evening. I will post here when it is replaced.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 07:06:38 pm »

OK T2E #2 is back up.

I have also added #5 on Madagascar

Bo Koue Callesen

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 01:00:32 pm »

Thanks the downloaded file is now valid  :)
/Bo

JRKO

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 04:53:03 pm »

Quick question and this is not a complaint or wanting to start flame wars.  Why so expensive for the download?

Its only $65 for the complete season 2 (13 episodes @ $5 each) on Amazon or about $17 for a 4 episode DVD ($4.25 each) from series 1

Are there extras on the download?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 05:22:46 pm »

No, no extras - just a high quality downloadable HD video. This is only available on Lu-La.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 05:41:29 pm by Chris Sanderson »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 03:06:25 pm »

An FYI before we announce and post any further episodes of Art Wolfe's Travels to the Edge.

We will be making each 13 episode season available as a package for $99.00

For those who have already purchased some shows: if you purchase 10 shows, you may ask our Customer Service for a coupon for the complete season's 13 episode package - thus allowing you the discounted price.

Please note that this applies only to each separate season and the package price does not apply to purchases of 10 shows across different seasons.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 04:52:23 pm »

An FYI before we announce and post any further episodes of Art Wolfe's Travels to the Edge.

We will be making each 13 episode season available as a package for $99.00

For those who have already purchased some shows: if you purchase 10 shows, you may ask our Customer Service for a coupon for the complete season's 13 episode package - thus allowing you the discounted price.

Please note that this applies only to each separate season and the package price does not apply to purchases of 10 shows across different seasons.

Thank you for the bundle pricing - this is quite reasonable if the quality is as good throughout as the sample clip. I'll certainly get this after I'm done watching the LLVJs I've bought!

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 08:02:01 pm »

Episodes 7, 8, 9 & 10 are now posted. Peru, Kenya, Mt. Fitz Roy in Patagonia and the US SouthWest

I will likely have the final three episodes up tomorrow along with a package of all thirteen episodes of Season One

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 11:46:33 am »

All 13 episodes of Season 1 are now in the Store along with the $99 package of 13 episodes.
The latest shows posted are on India, South Georgia and a quite remarkable trip to the Omo Valley in Ethiopia which features Art photographing in the middle of a serious stick fight!

jenbenn

• http://
Excellent but too expensive
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 12:03:50 pm »

I just bought the India episode and  really enjoyed it. Excellent series! However, I felt a bit of buyer's remorse thinking I paid 10 dollars for about 20min of video. compared to an equally excellent BBC documentory  (the story of India) which runs for 180min and cost 10 dollars for two dvds shipped, I have trouble justifying more episodes. Charging about 100 dollars for all epsides (approx. 260mins)  seems like a rip off when considering that this show has been broadcasted by many tv stations and is also sponsored by canon and Microsoft, so  production cost must have been paid by now, assuming a normal  run of business.

feppe

Re: Excellent but too expensive
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 01:19:25 pm »

I just bought the India episode and  really enjoyed it. Excellent series! However, I felt a bit of buyer's remorse thinking I paid 10 dollars for about 20min of video. compared to an equally excellent BBC documentory  (the story of India) which runs for 180min and cost 10 dollars for two dvds shipped, I have trouble justifying more episodes. Charging about 100 dollars for all epsides (approx. 260mins)  seems like a rip off when considering that this show has been broadcasted by many tv stations and is also sponsored by canon and Microsoft, so  production cost must have been paid by now, assuming a normal  run of business.

That's an unfair and even invalid comparison. First of all, BBC is a state-owned enterprise. They have economies of scale in production, manufacturing of discs, and distribution LL or Mr Wolfe can't even begin to approach. You're comparing DVD with 720p, which is a big improvement. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, those BBC DVDs sell probably in the six figures (unit volume), which allows for razor-thin margins and still making a nice profit.

To put things into perspective, Planet Earth alone has sold 5 million units, and that's a box set. I picked up the 10-disc Bluray box for a ridiculously low price of 50 EUR or so new, this at the time when when many single-disc movies with budgets an order of a magnitude less are selling at 20 EUR a pop. By the way, the documentary is worth all the hype.

Also, why do you care if the production costs have been recooped already? I'm sure you didn't mean to imply in your last sentence that production costs are all there is to running a good business. All stakeholders must make a profit, otherwise there's not much point in producing a commercial product. If they are as good as the reviews say, I hope Mr Wolfe keeps producing more - and he needs a profit to be able to do so. While I agree the single-episode pricing is high due to reasons given by Chris or Michael elsewhere, a full season is priced competitively given the above.

jenbenn

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 01:46:14 pm »

It is not worth arguing. I find it to expensive  and I wont buy more. If you  find the price right and buy, its fine. I just thought the seller might care why I wont buy more.  By the way, for comparism sake:  20 minutes at 10 dollars make it 60 dollars for 120 minutes, the normal lenth of a dvd film.  Now thats a hefty premium, even for a good product.  One more point: It might have escaped my notion, but I wasnt aware that the individual epsiodes were so short when I bought mine. I thought you d get something  in the ballpark of 60min per episode. I think the film length should be mentioned in the product description in the shop.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 01:51:41 pm by jenbenn »

feppe

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 01:57:54 pm »

By the way, for comparism sake:  20 minutes at 10 dollars make it 60 dollars for 120 minutes, the normal lenth of a dvd film.  Now thats a hefty premium, even for a good product.

Fish is sold by the kilo; I haven't heard of any entertainment sold by the minute.

jenbenn

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 02:22:52 pm »

Come on, dont be unreasonable.  Enterntainment is certainly not sold  by the minute but by shorther and longer. I think ist more or less established that for a regular cinema tickt you  get between 70 minutes and 150 minutes of movie experience. In germany, films longer than 120 minutes cinemas carry an "over-length charge", which typically amounts to 10% extra. For films  over 180 miuntes you sometimes have to pay 20% extra. So yes, entertainment is roughly sold by the time of enjoyment. (would you pay the same for a three minute short film as for a full 180minute movie?)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 02:26:59 pm by jenbenn »

jenbenn

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 05:00:13 pm »

Video length has been added in the store. Cool, thats fair business, although I still dont like the pricing :)

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 04:46:14 pm »

Without commenting on the cost of the entertainment/education, I will say:

The episodes are very inspiring, from a photographic POV.  Even though I maybe am not going to Bhutan, by showing video of Art in the scene and then the images he creates, I really get his ability to capture the image present in the scene.  Probably not coincidentally, this was always my favorite aspect of LLVJ episodes, seeing MR work through his thought process and get the shots.

It's done in an excellent way in Art's series, at least for me.  Very high production values, especially for a small team.

Bob T.
http://www.dreamtomorrowblog.com
Bob
 ht
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up