Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H3d-39 actuations?  (Read 5138 times)

Leifotog

H3d-39 actuations?
« on: October 01, 2010, 07:16:17 am »

Hi all,

Maybe some can help me. I've been looking for the actuation count for my newly acquired H3D-39. I can't seem to find it in the exif data. I am using several different apps to read the data (exiftool,PS CS4, Aperture, Phocus 2.5).

If anyone could point me to the right direction, that would be great.

Thanks.   ;D

JonathanBenoit

Re: H3d-39 actuations?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 07:20:10 am »

It's in the menu settings on the body. I cant remember exactly, but you have to shuffle through a couple times.

Leifotog

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 10:38:16 am »

Still can't find it... I've been through the menu 10  times. It's not in settings... Hmmm

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 10:48:32 am »

Still can't find it... I've been through the menu 10  times. It's not in settings... Hmmm

If you are looking at the settings on the back, you wont find it.
Maybe someone with an H3D can add more specific directions.

Leifotog

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 10:59:20 am »

I was looking at both. On the back an on the body... Well, I hope someone can help me. Thanks for your advice. Do you know if the exif data in the files should contain the actuation number?

stewarthemley

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 12:19:46 pm »

On the handgrip LCD, menu, settings, system status, next. At that point you should be able to see actuations for both body and whatever lens is on.

Leifotog

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 02:05:47 pm »

Perfect... thanks!!! Worked out well. Actuations are under what I was told. Great! ;D ;D

stewarthemley

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 04:55:25 am »

You're welcome. It's a great camera - enjoy. Oh, and you might want to set it up (for tripod use) as follows: when you press the shutter - mirror up, five second delay to let everything settle, shutter, mirror down. Sounds complicated but it's easy to do (proof - I did it!) and you can forget any problem with mirror slap vibrations even on 300mm lenses. Cheers.

darylgo

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 06:54:51 am »

Oh, and you might want to set it up (for tripod use) as follows: when you press the shutter - mirror up, five second delay to let everything settle, shutter, mirror down. Sounds complicated but it's easy to do (proof - I did it!) and you can forget any problem with mirror slap vibrations even on 300mm lenses. Cheers.
Stewart,
This is exactly what I need.
Is this a profile you created?  How were you able to accomplish this?

stewarthemley

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 10:37:13 am »

darylgo, I can't remember! I just read the manual (if you don't have one I think you can download it from Hasselblad, free, you just need to register) and stumbled on to it. I'm not at base for a few days, so from memory, you set up the user button, the one beneath the middle bit that you push to format the card, (hope these technical terms don't baffle you...) so that the mirror goes up (maybe by assigning that function to that button, in the custom settings - but you can still use the main mirror-up button as normal), also in custom settings maybe you set the interval timer to 5 secs, or whatever you decide on. Can't remember how you get the mirror to return, but mine does. Sorry it's so vague. Maybe if someone reads this and has the manual with them, or a better memory, they can explain better.

But it's a great way to make exposures and you don't need a cable. When I first got the camera I was losing loads of shots, maybe 50%, to poor technique thanks to years away from MF and relying too much on auto DSLRs. Now I take most stuff on a tripod, often set it at f16 if I' m after big DoF - slight diffraction but worth it for extra DoF and easily compensated with a bit of sharpening. Without BS, I can't remember the last time I had signs of blur from mirror slap/camera shake. The great thing with the all-leaf shutter Hass lenses is just that - leaf shutters.

darylgo

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 12:40:57 am »

darylgo, I can't remember! I just read the manual (if you don't have one I think you can download it from Hasselblad, free, you just need to register) and stumbled on to it. I'm not at base for a few days, so from memory, you set up the user button, the one beneath the middle bit that you push to format the card, (hope these technical terms don't baffle you...) so that the mirror goes up (maybe by assigning that function to that button, in the custom settings - but you can still use the main mirror-up button as normal), also in custom settings maybe you set the interval timer to 5 secs, or whatever you decide on. Can't remember how you get the mirror to return, but mine does. Sorry it's so vague. Maybe if someone reads this and has the manual with them, or a better memory, they can explain better.

But it's a great way to make exposures and you don't need a cable. When I first got the camera I was losing loads of shots, maybe 50%, to poor technique thanks to years away from MF and relying too much on auto DSLRs. Now I take most stuff on a tripod, often set it at f16 if I' m after big DoF - slight diffraction but worth it for extra DoF and easily compensated with a bit of sharpening. Without BS, I can't remember the last time I had signs of blur from mirror slap/camera shake. The great thing with the all-leaf shutter Hass lenses is just that - leaf shutters.
Thanks Stewart.  I read the manual, the self timer function is quite sophisticated in the H cameras, it's set there and is easily accomplished. 
As you mention the need for a cable release is not necessary, which is difficult at best to plug/unplug in it's recessed location.  Quite unusual as the rest of the camera is well thought out and designed, especially the leaf shutters.   

Nick-T

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 04:51:44 pm »

better yet, double tap the mirror up button, this will #1 lock up the mirror (surprise) and #2 take you straight to self timer set up as you last had it. To recap, doublr tap mirror up then hit the shuuter and the camera will start counting down.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

stewarthemley

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 04:14:33 am »

Hi Nick. I think your way is interesting and useful in some situations but often I find it difficult to get to the mirror-up button, wish sometimes it wasn't tucked away at the front, whereas I can always get to the user button at the back. Whichever, it's good to have a choice and thanks for revealing a secret of the MU button!

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 03:44:13 am »

Reroute the AE-Lock button to MuP and you will have the same. I agree the MuP button is tucked too far away.

Actually I have rerouted AF to the AE-lock button and MuP to the User button. This to me was the nicest placement of buttons. Most other people I know of reroute AF to the User button.
Pages: [1]   Go Up