Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kodak DCS Medium Format VS Sony a850  (Read 3193 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Kodak DCS Medium Format VS Sony a850
« on: November 28, 2010, 12:39:57 pm »

If I wanted to produce the highest quality and largest prints which one of these outfits would be best? Kodak-16mp at 1.5 inches square or the Sony at 35mm dimension and almost 25mp?

BobDavid

Re: Kodak DCS Medium Format VS Sony a850
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 01:03:39 pm »

Go with the Sony. Under the "right" situations, the Kodak is capable of yielding superior results. But, that is a small percent of the time. The a850 is great in the studio and in the field. Couple it with the CZ zooms and you'll be astonished by the output.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 03:04:25 pm »

I used one of those Kodak backs for a while.  Certainly ahead of its time and great back in the day, but I concur ... go with the Sony.

Mike Sellers

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 03:36:58 pm »

Sounds like I better forget the Kodak then. Thanks for the replies

plinden

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 06:56:14 pm »

Mike, I had the Kodak back on an H1, and I now have an A900. My other current camera is an H3D-39. I've only had the Sony a short time, but I may have some material from both cameras that is roughly comparable. If so, I can send examples, should I take the time to look (I'm quite busy at the moment)? Peter Linden

Mike Sellers

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 10:53:53 am »

With the prices for the Kodak back below $2,000 I was just thinking about moving up to medium format. I already have a Sony a850 and Angenieux 35-70 zoom converted by Pete Ganzel. If I move up to medium format I should think about the Phase 39mp or Pentax 40mp and forget the low end medium format backs. I only do landscape photography. Maybe Sony or one of the other manufacturers will bring out a 35mp camera?

BobDavid

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 10:02:26 pm »

I would recommend that you do a test between the Sony a900 and a 39mp back. Unless you're going to be making prints bigger than 12" X 18" (from an uncropped file) I wouldn't spend the money. The Sony coupled with the best Zeiss glass is better than a lot of the images I've seen taken with 39mp cameras and mediocre lenses.

ondebanks

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 08:29:39 am »

The Kodak DCS back made sense for me, because I was already heavily into a Mamiya 645 system with great lenses, and I also like the square format (I had 6x6 cameras as well some years ago).

But if you are starting a system from scratch and have no medium format ties already, then I think the Sony or a Canon 5DII would make more sense.

Ray

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 10:04:54 am »

I would recommend that you do a test between the Sony a900 and a 39mp back. Unless you're going to be making prints bigger than 12" X 18" (from an uncropped file) I wouldn't spend the money. The Sony coupled with the best Zeiss glass is better than a lot of the images I've seen taken with 39mp cameras and mediocre lenses.

Virtually any MFDB, even a 16 MP should smoke the A900 regardless of zeiss lenses as far as pure image quality- I would think it depends on subject matter and technique though....If it is a fast moving subject, handheld A900 all the way - Tripod with time to work the DCS...A900 is a better choice if you are looking for a less expensive, "one camera does it all"  rig IMO

BobDavid

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 11:20:09 am »

Virtually any MFDB, even a 16 MP should smoke the A900 regardless of zeiss lenses as far as pure image quality- I would think it depends on subject matter and technique though....If it is a fast moving subject, handheld A900 all the way - Tripod with time to work the DCS...A900 is a better choice if you are looking for a less expensive, "one camera does it all"  rig IMO

The a850/900 handles fabrics very well -- no moire. I used to own an Imacon 96c. The 96c uses a 37mm X 37mm format chip. The files are clean (except for moire issues with clothing), but in all honesty, I think the Sony files are quite comparable and the advantages of an ultra hi-resolution back panel lcd, lack of mirror-slap vibration and better high ISO performance put the Sony ahead.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 11:32:17 am by BobDavid »
Pages: [1]   Go Up