Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: H4D-31, 50mm II, 120 macro II  (Read 12342 times)

NikolaBorissov

• http://www.nikolaborissov.com
H4D-31, 50mm II, 120 macro II
« on: September 22, 2010, 04:44:14 am »

Just got an sms from my friend who is over at Cologne at Hasselblad's press conference. These are the news: updated 50 & 120 mm, H4D-31, no word on the software. I was really hoping for an updated longer tele, but the macro will do :)

BJNY

Guillermo

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
Re: H4D-31, 50mm II, 120 macro II
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 06:16:10 am »

jduncan

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 06:33:35 am »

It just me or the new exiting products are:
1. A new version of the 50mm with the same aperture as before
2. A new 120mm macro with the same aperture and magnification as before
3. The H4D-50MS is released again, just like before. Only that this time the marketing is 200MP
4. The H4D-31 sigle less expensive than the 40 (13.6% more lineal resolution) that looks more like a 40 cannibalization device that any other thing.
5. Just learned that the 60 don support the GIL!!!
I have never been part of the hate hasselblad set, but frankly I feel disappointed.  More than nothing in terms of the lens. I guess they analyzed the impact of the 31 on the sales of the 40.  From my limited point of view the H4D-31 is  an error.
I would have been better to keep the h3d-31 as it was and get down with the price. Maybe it was more expensive to keep that generation going.
english is not my first language, an I k

BJNY

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:35:52 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 07:41:24 am »

4. The H4D-31 sigle less expensive than the 40 (13.6% more lineal resolution) that looks more like a 40 cannibalization device that any other thing.
I have never been part of the hate hasselblad set, but frankly I feel disappointed.  More than nothing in terms of the lens. I guess they analyzed the impact of the 31 on the sales of the 40.  From my limited point of view the H4D-31 is  an error.
I would have been better to keep the h3d-31 as it was and get down with the price. Maybe it was more expensive to keep that generation going.

The H4D-31 is an "entry level" medium-format digital aimed at Canon and Nikon (and Leica and Sigma) shooters who might move to medium-format, not at potential H4D-40 purchasers. The margins may be lower on the H4D-31, but their manufacturing costs go down as volume goes up on common elements.  DSLR shooters will see this as an attractive entry point.  That's my opinion/story and I'm sticking to it.

I wasn't aware there was a "hate hasselblad set".  I've got a lot to learn.

gazwas

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 08:04:21 am »

Great news IMO.

Just finished my demo of the H4D-50, then log on and read this news.

Been a Phase one shooter for many years but the H4d is a great camera and the lenes...... Oh the lenses!  :-*
Phase One seems to be shouting about their leaf shutter lens range at the moment but the Blads have always had leaf shutters.

Updated optics in older lenses and improvements in software are the things that should matter, not 80MP chips.

I could imagine a H4D-31 will seem very tempting to those Canon and Nikon shoots disappointed by the lack of updates to their big gun 1Ds and D#X cameras.

Good going Hasselblad!
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

jduncan

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 08:07:13 am »

The H4D-31 is an "entry level" medium-format digital aimed at Canon and Nikon (and Leica and Sigma) shooters who might move to medium-format, not at potential H4D-40 purchasers. The margins may be lower on the H4D-31, but their manufacturing costs go down as volume goes up on common elements.  DSLR shooters will see this as an attractive entry point.  That's my opinion/story and I'm sticking to it.

I wasn't aware there was a "hate hasselblad set".  I've got a lot to learn.
Mayb you will proven right. My concern is that it will hurt the sales of the 40 more than increase overall sales. They are so close. But like in  the song, only time will tell :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 08:08:45 am by jduncan »
english is not my first language, an I k

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 08:18:50 am »

I could imagine a H4D-31 will seem very tempting to those Canon and Nikon shoots disappointed by the lack of updates to their big gun 1Ds and D#X cameras.

Hum... nope.

Why step back in everything but a little detail... and have to pay the price of a small car for that (I could get at best about 4.000 US$ of my D3x second hand)?

Others might differ, but for my needs I wouldn't do it even it the camera were given away for free.

Cheers,
Bernard

arashm

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 08:26:57 am »

This is really great news.
I think there are a lot of people like me that still rent and don't need a 50-80 MPX back.
I also don't want to buy an old outdated back for the same kind of money.
to have True Focus in a 31 is excellent.
I'm very happy to see them improve the software.
updated lenses are always good.

As for sales effecting the H4D-40, let's not forget that all the $ goes in the same pocket and this back also brings in people who were going to go with a canon or nikon option....

Great move H
am

hsmeets

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 08:29:49 am »

.....and this back also brings in people who were going to go with a canon or nikon option....

MF and 35mm have always been different beast, yes it will get people to but MF now, but probably not switch, it will be complementary.
Cheers,

Huib

BrendanStewart

• http://www.symbolphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 08:44:48 am »

The added Ipad control/view in Phocus 2.6 is greatly appreciated. Can't wait.

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 09:27:10 am »

I didn't know there was anything wrong with the original 120 macro. Can you seriously improve on it?

ondebanks

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 09:27:54 am »

The big news for traditionalists & enthusiasts is the new CFV-50 back. I think that will create more of a buzz than most, if not all, of the H-series announcements. The H4D-31 may be priced very well, but what about the rest of the H series lenses? They send the price for a decent "kit" into the stratosphere. Contrast that with the many, many V-system shooters who already have all the affordable V series lenses they need and the bodies they love. Slap on the CFV-50 and they're in hog heaven, with a bigger sensor, for less overall outlay.

gazwas

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 09:32:30 am »

Hum... nope.

Why step back in everything but a little detail... and have to pay the price of a small car for that (I could get at best about 4.000 US$ of my D3x second hand)?

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by a step backwards?

People looking for improvements in a 1DsIII or D3X (usually mean IQ) will obviously look, with the lack of anything better in 35mm FF to MF as the natural progression and this H4D-31 is now a real consideration. After all, if you shoot sports a MFD will never be in your sights so why a step back?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:34:43 am by gazwas »
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

arashm

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 09:38:50 am »

^ agree
One of the biggest selling point of any back for me is tethered capability
for example as nice as a D3X is, tethered capture with that camera in 14 bit nothing short of painfully slow, if you shoot people or fashion.
(imo)
it's not always about the megapixel count.
am

hsmeets

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 10:00:19 am »

The big news for traditionalists & enthusiasts is the new CFV-50 back. I think that will create more of a buzz than most, if not all, of the H-series announcements. The H4D-31 may be priced very well, but what about the rest of the H series lenses? They send the price for a decent "kit" into the stratosphere. Contrast that with the many, many V-system shooters who already have all the affordable V series lenses they need and the bodies they love. Slap on the CFV-50 and they're in hog heaven, with a bigger sensor, for less overall outlay.

I would count myself to this target group. I own a 501/cm with the typical 50/80/150 lenses....long story cut short: it's collecting dust and yes briefly i was happy with the idea of a CFV-50 back. It's still a heck a lot of money but as 50mpx is total overkill for my needs now and for the next 20 years it would be a one time buy for many many years and I could also live with going from square to 3:4 format.

BUT.....

This sensor is still cropping the FoV of the 50,80,150 and I would loose a fair amount at the wide end and a 40/60/120 looks better, but then....buying new glass?? adding up all the costs I probably would be better of with a H4D-40 + 35-90 zoom gaining AF and other stuff.

Seems to me only actractive for V owners that have already glass like 40, 60, 120mm....now if HB would swap my glass 1 for 1.....

nah, it's sad but MF on an expense level as in the film era is gone, this is now commercial/pro territory...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:08:01 am by hsmeets »
Cheers,

Huib

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 10:08:06 am »

Hasselblad are obviously doing quite well with the CFV range of backs for the V-System cameras, so some people must be buying them. David Sommerfield of Hasselblad told me last December that they had sold twice as many of the CFV-39 as they expected to within the first few months. And of course the design and tooling costs for the magazine-styled DB itself were probably paid for in the initial run of the CFV-16. So in a very short space of time we have had 16, 39, and now 50 MP for the old 500 and 200 cameras. On this basis I would expect to see a 60 MP version within two years or so.

John
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:22:00 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 10:33:22 am »

I would count myself to this target group. I own a 501/cm with the typical 50/80/150 lenses....long story cut short: it's collecting dust and yes briefly i was happy with the idea of a CFV-50 back. It's still a heck a lot of money but as 50mpx is total overkill for my needs now and for the next 20 years it would be a one time buy for many many years and I could also live with going from square to 3:4 format.
nah, it's sad but MF on an expense level as in the film era is gone, this is now commercial/pro territory...

You could also get a H4D31 with the CF adapter and over time migrate to the H.

It looks like Hasselblad is re'introducing Microstep for the 50MS.

BTW for all those wishing the H would come in a different color than its current color scheme: http://www.hasselbladusa.com/news/hasselblad-meets-ferrari.aspx
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up