Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Good is Minolta as a Brand?  (Read 2440 times)

Willowroot

• http://www.willowroot.ca
How Good is Minolta as a Brand?
« on: March 09, 2004, 10:23:06 am »

I've been shooting Minolta for a long time, with no significant problems.  My 8000i did finally need some work after 13 years of use!  Minolta glass is superb, arguably the closest you can get to Leica quality without spending multiple kilobucks (in fact Leica have sold a couple Minolta lenses as Leicas, notably the 70-210/4).  I don't know, however, how well all this will translate to the A2.  If you were to join the Minolta mailing list on yahoo groups (just search for Minolta, it should be the first result - that is pretty much the main forum for Minolta users around the world), there are one or two people who have bought the A2 already.  One guy was saying that there were a few things he had noticed: a) focus speed was lightning fast b)noise performance seemed to be better than Sony f808 c) images seemed to have a more 3D quality than his previous Dimage 7 d) construction was more solid than the Dimage 7.  Also, Michael is about to finish his review here so if I were you I would wait to see what he has to say as well.

HTH

Jason
Jason Elias
willowroot.ca

Shivz

• Racing Shiva Productions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 07:38:49 pm »

Thanks Guys, I played with Nikon's new 8700 and didn't like it at all. The power zoom is slow and amaturish, the EVF is unusable, the LCD very standard... etc.  Just a point and shoot overall "feel."  Why do I mention Nikon? That was my other choice, since it also accepts a vertical grip.  

I will try to make sure to buy the A2 from a shop with a good swap policy.  

Best, S

Shivz

• Racing Shiva Productions
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 09:50:06 am »

I am planning my first Minolta purchase, the A2. Love all the features, the ergos and so on. I have played with it at J&R and looks like a winner in most every department. The 2/3 Sony chip is not the best option, hence non of the new 8MP fixed lens cameras will produce outstanding images. But it will do fine for my needs.

So what's the problem you say: I have never owned Minolta and nor have I ever considered it to be a major player. I have almost always considered Canon or Sony in Digital and Canon in film.

So, let's hear it. There are more than 1 or 2 posts on the Minolta forum about 3 swaps of new cameras before one works right, etc...

How is Minolta as a Camera Company?

Thanks, S

--
My photography site: http://www.Shahram.info

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 02:03:37 pm »

When you buy, just make sure the vendor supports a no hassle exchange policy.  For me (inToronto) that means no US internet, and a reputable local dealer (even tho it may be a couple of bucks more expensive).
Pages: [1]   Go Up