Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concerns about PS CS5 scalability  (Read 8981 times)

Farmer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2848
Re: Concerns about PS CS5 scalability
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 07:51:36 pm »

What Wayne is saying, though, (and quite correctly!) is that general system startup and app startup speeds really have no impact on real-world Photoshop use.  Users don't constantly open and close PS.  Once it's open, it's open.  And even if you do close it and open it again then the OS likely has certain parts still cached (Win 7 certainly deals with frequently opened apps quite well).

The reality is, more RAM is the best way to avoid bottlenecks.  Unless you're batch processing and creating lots of IO bottlenecks then general performance will be enhanced most by more RAM.

If you want to improve general system speed and responsiveness, then an SSD (or SSD RAID) will certainly help.
Logged
Phil Brown

tived

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 714
    • http://
Re: Concerns about PS CS5 scalability
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 11:07:18 pm »

Hi guys,

Maybe I better explain how I set this Macpro up, I simply added two SSD disks to the sytem, and a Pair of WD RE4 in RAID 1 for DATA.
I have one SSD ARAM (Sandforce controller) 240GB and on Corsair X64 64GB as scratch disk, system has 8gb of ram. Originally I had another Corsair X256, but two of them dies within a week or two, which is why I insist on Sandforce controller based SSD's or INTEL (Microns seems ok as well).

Though I do not have any benchmarks to varify this, all staff working on this computer finds that it have made a great improvement in responsiveness of the system, this is using mainly CaptureOne and Photoshop CS5 and Bridge.

The two WD RE4's are 2TB and they are solid drives, when the SSD died, we just took one of the RE4 out and put into the another Macpro and kept working, though I did take a little while when I put it back into the system for the RAID to rebuild, with it kept everything intact!!! Just a little pointer here

Henrik

PS: The Mac's are not mine, but a clients
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up