Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I the only one who wants a back like this?  (Read 4181 times)

Graham Mitchell

Am I the only one who wants a back like this?
« on: September 11, 2010, 08:24:50 am »

Just thought I'd share this. Even if I wanted to upgrade my current digital back, there is nothing very tempting on offer from anyone!

Every option is a downgrade in some respect. Putting aside the price and camera platform issues for a moment, there is nothing out there with around 30MP (much more than that starts to cause speed and storage problems and is unnecessary, imo) and a larger sensor (for larger viewfinder image, more selective focus, and getting wider at the wide end). As I'm shooting people, a modest speed increase would be welcome. I certainly wouldn't want a slower back than my current 1fps.

When are we going to get a 645-size 30MP back with somewhere closer to 2fps that would be a real upgrade for all the 22MP users? Am I the only one who wants this? (and I'm not even considering other desirable features such as large LCD screen, in-camera DNG and JPG, adapter system, etc)

Red indicates downgrade, green indicates upgrade:

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
Re: Am I the only one who wants a back like this?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:05:34 am »

Hi Graham,

So your choice might be the AptusII7, I don´t know why they say 1.1sec/fr in the spec list, but also say: "The Leaf Aptus-II 7 camera back has a sensor just as sensitive as the Leaf Aptus-II 10, with a capture rate under 0.8 secs/frame, and a sustainable burst of 60 full res images per minute - the fastest back in the industry." This is more what we feel, using the predecessor, the Aptus75S. A great back for use in fashion and still photography. Very nice skin colors, a lot better than the 22MP regarding moiré, no microlenses, live view, excellent for tilt and shift with LF, too. Considering the recent price also very attractive.

Regarding the sensor size of the AptusII10, we also thought so in the beginning, but working for POS in portrait mode or double-page campaigns in landscape mode we often find the longer ratio very useful. Even for standard work we don´t have a 4:3 but longer ratio here in Germany. Of course I would love to have a complete full frame though.
Just my 2ct.

Cheers, Ulf
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:18:54 am by UlfKrentz »

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 09:07:59 am »

... but if you want WA panoramic, the Aptus 11 10 might be the best choice.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 09:36:52 am »

Graham,

Maximum ISO on both the the Phase P40+ and the P65+ is actually 3200---not 800 as indicated in your table, though definitely more usable at lower iso.  Both of these backs in Sensor+ mode would have lower Megapixels, though still using the full real estate of the sensor---and smaller files, which would meet your requirements.  P65+ in Sensor+ mode is rated at 1.4 fps.  Obviously P65+ hits the pocketbook harder than the P40+...

ken
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:41:00 am by kdphotography »

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 09:41:41 am »

Maximum ISO on both the the Phase P40+ and the P65+ is actually 3200---not 800 as indicated in your table, though definitely more usable at lower iso.

...but only in the sensor+ mode, which I would never use.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 09:49:42 am »

...but only in the sensor+ mode, which I would never use.

That's what I thought too....and it's surprising how much I've found myself using the Sensor+ flexibility/capabilities with the P65+.  It's actually quite good.

Good luck in your quest for the perfect MFDB to upgrade to----might be difficult considering your requirements (as reasonable as they may be) as it seems the push is to release more and more megapixels...

:)

p.s.  If we used your table as a decision tree, the P65+ only has one red box.  And that can be resolved by purchasing relatively inexpensive HDs (ok---so you need a decent computer, but you'll need one for the other MFDBs too).  The other Red Boxes that the other MFDBs have, are physical limitations such as speed or sensor size---and there is no easy remedy for those restrictions, except a different MFDB.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:53:41 am by kdphotography »

PdF

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 10:06:07 am »

My criteria of choice are different. For me, the most important is:

- Multishoots: 4 shots and 1 shot.

- Ratio 4/3 (44 x 33mm, 48 x36 mm,... 60 x40 mm ??)

- 33 Mpix is big enough. I don't want to work only with giant files. A good optical restitution is more important.

- 25 ISO ->400 (800, or more, why not ?)

- Large LCD Display

- A good live video (even on Mac)

- DNG files.

I shall be very curious to see at Photokina if the new back Sinar 86H allows to use effectively "classical" digital optics with a good shift angle. The use of optical fibers, even with a new conception, allows me to be sceptic. I do not want to have to change a lot of 7 optics to be able to have the maximum of quality.

The same digital back have to be usable with different types of cameras.

PdF
PdF

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 10:14:34 am »

p.s.  If we used your table as a decision tree, the P65+ only has one red box.  And that can be resolved by purchasing relatively inexpensive HDs (ok---so you need a decent computer, but you'll need one for the other MFDBs too).  The other Red Boxes that the other MFDBs have, are physical limitations such as speed or sensor size---and there is no easy remedy for those restrictions, except a different MFDB.

Agreed - the P65+ would be the winner from that list, and I would be happy to get a Phase back. I have no interest in the M645 camera body though.
While there is no clear choice, I'm better off investing in other items and hope that there is some good news at Photokina.

The fact is that I am applying for a government grant for more equipment, so a new back wouldn't cost me anything, but the whole MF world is such a mess that there is no clear choice right now. I'll apply for a grant for more Profoto and Mac gear instead :)

ondebanks

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 12:00:07 pm »

The fact is that I am applying for a government grant for more equipment, so a new back wouldn't cost me anything

OK, two questions: which country are you referring to? And can I change citizenship to it?  ;)

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 02:00:28 pm »

Looks like the Aptus-II 7 is the only one on your list with no Red boxes ;)

In reality you will find it shoots faster than your current back with a larger screen and better Live View

Capture One is also considered as a big plus

Now if you can find a used AFi-II 7 (same sensor but a rotating one, same screen and speed) you'll also be able to keep your Rollei lenses ;)

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Erick Boileau

• http://
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 02:02:32 pm »

Putting aside the price and camera platform issues for a moment, there is nothing out there with around 30MP (much more than that starts to cause speed and storage problems and is unnecessary, imo) and a larger sensor (for larger viewfinder image, more selective focus, and getting wider at the wide end).
I feel not alone :-) thank you
30 MP + FF  Medium Format , that's all what we need , a light and normal upgrade for 22MP users with a good 3800/3880 Epson Printer

Erick Boileau

• http://
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 02:13:18 pm »

- 25 ISO ->400 (800, or more, why not ?)
same for me
Pages: [1]   Go Up