Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya "cheap" digital back ($3000 / $4000)  (Read 4113 times)

Lozit

Mamiya "cheap" digital back ($3000 / $4000)
« on: August 24, 2010, 04:26:25 pm »

Hello, i have a Mamiya 645D and i'm looking for a used digital back.
I found a leaf valeo 22 or a Mamiya ZD Back in The 3k/4k range.
I try to find some info about digital back but its very difficult :)

What do you think about those 2 backs ? Do you know some other back in this price range ?
Did you know some website to find used DB ?

Thanks for your help

ondebanks

Re: Mamiya "cheap" digital back ($3000 / $4000)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 07:01:02 pm »

There's also the Kodak DCS ProBack 645M, produced from 2002-2004. Some people are frightened off these because Kodak no longer supports them, but I got mine not so long ago for mid-$2k, only 12,500 shots taken, no moving parts, and it had just been serviced at Midwest Camera, so I don't see what the problem is. It's shooting beautifully and has some great features like a click-on, click-off removable IR filter that you cannot get on a PhaseOne or Leaf back (the Mamiya ZD camera/back is the only other one that can do this).

And hey, merely repairing the Firewire port on a PhaseOne back costs the same as my entire Kodak back kit, so I think it's good value.  ;D

I looked at the ZD back and all the other backs as well (I did up a massive spreadsheet), but I was not impressed that everything apart from sensor size is worse on the ZD: lower quantum efficiency, lower quality at > ISO 100, higher dark current.

Mr. Luminous Landscape himself, Michael Reichmann, liked the Kodak so much, he bought one for his Contax 645 (see reports here at LL).

darylgo

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:02:21 pm »

Did you know some website to find used DB ?

Try Adorama Rental Dept, they have sold used backs in the past......and they are reputable.

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 01:46:49 am »

I would think that an aptus22 should be in your price range seeing that the new aptusII5 is already close to your budget.

That's a modern back which can shoot to LC and capture one but also on a CF card.

topgreat

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 06:25:34 am »

IMO, you may find Phase One P25 on Ebay in that price range too. I also saw one P25 sold on Getdpi for about $4000, but it is H mount.

Lozit

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:37:21 pm »

Thank you for your help !

djonesii

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 03:20:32 pm »

I got my whole Mamiya AFD II kit and Zd back for just at the top end of your price range.  I consider it a pretty good value.

When the back works, it takes excellent photos. and it works about 95% of the time.  Every so often, it throws a wobbly, and the battery needs to come out of the back, and reboot the thing.  Of course, this happens at the worst of times.

The thing takes simply stunning photos.  I use C1 to process them, and they by far blow away my Nikon D300, and I have a feeling, will hold up well to a D3X.   Compared to a P25, I'm pretty sure they are in the same ball park, but that is not in your price range.

If you want to see some of my attempts a fine art figure, drop me a note at djonesii at yahoo dot com.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:22:15 pm by djonesii »
Pages: [1]   Go Up