Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPSIZING A PHOTO  (Read 2439 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
UPSIZING A PHOTO
« on: August 23, 2010, 03:13:46 pm »

I posted this on another forum, but thought that it might get different readers here .....

Okay, I've read articles on this through the years, but am ready to upsize a photo. Off hand, how much could I increase a photo that's 18" long @ 300 ppi? It's important that I see no visible loss of quality.

And, if this is possible. What is the best method to upsize?
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Vuurtoren

• Creative Landscape and Environmental Portraiture
Re: UPSIZING A PHOTO
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:03:02 pm »

Hi there, I'm Chris and have just joined this forum. Mmm, I assume you have photoshop?  If so theoretically you can upsize the image at least twice that amount without losing quality.  But it depends on what media you are going to print.  Do you need 300ppi?  You could get away with 240ppi very very easily. Also if it is that big, even 180ppi would be more than enough due to the added viewing distance of the person looking at this image. The advantage here is that you would De-select the "restrain proportions" and "resample image" and type in 240ppi, then re-select these two boxes (at this point you have increased the size of your image without any re-sampling). Then increase the size of the photo in dubbles or halves, select bicubic smoother and click ok.  Another method, and it really depends on the image itself, is to enlarge the image say 20% MORE than you need, then downsample using bicubic sharper.  This manner has advantages on some images.  The interpolation suggestions that you should upsample in 10 or 20 percent increments is nonsense now, I have tested this out and it does not do anything.  Also this was a methd propagated in the days of photoshop CS.  the interpolation engine now in Cs3 upwards is very much improved.

There is more to say on this subject, but it really depends on what you want to do with the image, and on what media you are printing on.

Kind regards
Chris.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:04:49 pm by Vuurtoren »
What we see and what we are looking at are often two very different things.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:30:55 pm »

The largest I've bi-cubic, smoother up-rezed in Photoshop CS3 and newer and it looks great at even 18 inches is a 10 MB capture with a sharp lens to a DX sensor.

The print hanging above my desk is 30x45 inches and is just fine. It's printed on an Epson 9800 at 180 dpi on Luster paper. I simply told Image->Size that I wanted the file to be 5400 pixels on the short edge and about 8100 pixels on the long side from the 2600x3900+/- original capture. More than likely, I did the first up-rezing in ACR to 4100x6100 then the second up-rezing using Bicubic, smoother in PS. I finished the image by running a sharpening action created by Lewis Kemper years ago to finish the processing.

Doing the math, the image should only print to maybe 9x13 inches, but I wasn't all that good in math at one time;-)

If the image is exceptional, shot with an optimized system with the proper settings with a sharp lens and your technique is great, you can really push the limits of a digital file. Some have pretty good luck with Genuine Fractals, but I haven't found I needed to use this program in several years and most people that use it, say it's very close to what you get with a simple up-rez in PS.

If the image won't be looked at by the anal-retentive at 18 inches (like me) and is printed with a good printer on, say, canvas or a fine art paper, you can even get larger prints than this.

If you are concerned about the image quality, simply up-rez the image and print a section on letter-size and see what you think. If the section looks good close-up, then the image should work large. If it's "iffy", try putting the image on the wall and step back. It will probably be OK.

On a job I'm pitching to a local client, I've got several 20x30 prints and a couple of 28x42 prints that will be printed on canvas. The sample prints up close are so-so (my 18 inch test). At three or more feet away, still too close for proper viewing distance, they are just fine.

Of course, your results will probably vary. Try printing a small section and see what you think.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 05:53:07 pm »

Alan Ruuska

• Alan Ruuska Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:04:26 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up