Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 3 and layered images  (Read 1780 times)

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
LR 3 and layered images
« on: August 20, 2010, 06:52:34 pm »

So I'm still new to Lightroom, and I am doing something goofy. I imported some older layered files. In LR they appear unlayered at 49 MB and when I go to edit them in PS they open as a flattened 264 MB image. In Bridge I see them (in the same location same name) as layered 1.41GB files and they open from Bridge as 1.41GB layered files.

What am I doing wrong on import or what am I not understanding?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:55:08 pm by kirk@swcp.com »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
Re: LR 3 and layered images
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 08:16:43 pm »

I doubt that Lightroom can operate properly on the layered files, as it doesn't understand layers.  It's likely that it operates on the flattened base layer, which is generated when you tell Photoshop to save files as "maximize compatibility."

If you send a file from LR to Photoshop and then make extensive tweaks and edits in PS, you really shouldn't make any further edits in LR on that specific version unless you want to flatten it.

zobeleye

• zobeleye
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 02:50:37 am »

hi guys,
in my experience and there have been a few serious mistakes made by me in that topic, it all depends on that little dialog that pops up, when you press <command/E> which is the shortcut for opening an image in PS out of LR.
first option flattens the layers and if you save this in PS, all layers are gone. flat.
but LR adjustments will be there.
second option gives you your layers but no LR adjustments.but if you save or flatten this one, you'll still have the original layered file in LR.
third brings your layers back in PS but again no LR adjustments.

my way of dealing with that is to always name or save the layered files as PSD and the flattened ones as TIF, so that I remember never to work on a PSD and open it with the first option.
for me it's a matter of deciding on filenames for clarification and more importantly on your workflow in terms of what to do first LR or PS and how to keep track of what you did.
hope that helps
cheers, stephan

mac pro 32 gb,eizoCG318,LR,nikon,fuji,Pentax645Z
http://zobeleye.com/

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 01:58:23 pm »

I'm beginning to think that LR was a bad option for me. What i was wanting to do was do preliminary work in LF then open the file up in PS to do additional work and be able to save that with layers as an archived cataloged file. This is a problem for me on my B&W art photography primarily where I archive very large files from scanned film with multiple layers and with maybe 1/3-1/2 of my commercial work that requires extensive work in PS layers and I want those layers archived.

It sounds like I can either have my LR adjustments or my PS layers? Is that really true? this sucks.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Sheldon N

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 04:10:36 pm »

Lightroom works perfectly fine with layers for me. Lightroom looks at the layered image as though it were a flattened file, in other words it sees the cumulative effect of your photoshop edits. The full photoshop file is saved on disk, layers intact. If you want to go back and edit the layered file, just make sure you choose "Edit Original" when choosing to edit out of lightroom. That will pull up the full layered photoshop file.

If you want to use lightroom to add additional edits to a layered photoshop file, that works perfectly well. Lightroom doesn't change the underlying file, just keeps a record in the LR database of what edits you wanted to apply to it. So you can go edit the underlying layered file and it won't effect the LR edits that you've applied.

For example, I'll work up a multi-layered final edit file in photoshop. I'll then use lightroom to handle cropping, sharpening, noise reduction, etc. Sometimes I'll even change my mind after an edit and use lightroom to change global things like brightness or warm up the white balance. If I want to export the photo for web or print or whatever, that comes straight out of lightroom. However, the uncropped unsharpened image still is on the hard drive. If I want to change it, all I have to do is choose "Edit Original" and I can go back to the source file and edit any layer that I want. The lightroom edits will still be there, and will apply on top of whatever work I do in the Photoshop file. So I wouldn't want to warm up the image in LR and then go back into photoshop and also warm the image, since both edits would be applied.

Here's a real world example... I had a large multi image composite that I had finished. I saved the composite as a layered TIF file. I then used Lightroom to open a flattened copy (Edit a Copy with LR Adjustments) into photoshop and started with a fresh "base layer" to build my curves/saturation/dodge/burn adjustment layers onto. I saved that Layered TIF as a second file. After going back and looking at it, I could see that I had made an error in the initial compositing phase of the image. All I had to do was choose "Edit Original" on the composite image and I could fix my error on the layered TIF. I then exported that as a new flattened layer (either Export, or Edit a Copy with LR Adjustments) and then pasted it in as a new background layer in the second "final edits" image.

All this to say, I think that LR works perfectly with layered images, allowing me to access the original layered file when I want to (Edit Original) or start with a flattened clean slate when I want to (Edit a Copy with LR Adjustments). The middle option (Edit a Copy) keeps the layers but builds a copy if you don't want to touch the original file.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 04:12:16 pm by Sheldon N »
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 12:39:11 pm »

Thanks. LR is such a different way of thinking and hence a different workflow that it is conceptually confusing me. Like you I want to be able to utilize both the the editing strengths of LR and PS. I'll practice with this some more.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings
Pages: [1]   Go Up