Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Washington next week!  (Read 3200 times)

mjrichardson

Washington next week!
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:10:32 am »

Morning!

I'm flying from UK to Washington on the 22nd, I have meetings for most of the week but should have a couple of days to get out and about with the camera before heading home.

Would anyone have any advice for must see locations in the Washington area? I will have a car so can travel, I'm mainly a landscape photographer but always up for new things. This will be my first US visit so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mat Richardson.

www.matrichardson.com

gkroeger

Re: Washington next week!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 03:48:42 pm »

Washington state, or Washington DC?

mjrichardson

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:24:49 am »

Oops! I'm in Washington DC, it looks like I will have my evenings free and at least a day next weekend.

What's the score with photographing on the streets in Washington, the done thing or not?

Cheers!

Mat

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 11:02:42 am »

You should be okay taking all the photos you want around the city and the National Mall.  For landscape stuff nearby, here are a few close-in suggestions:

Great Falls National Park and C&O Canal:  nice natural park with a working canal boat ride.  Great views of the falls on the Potomac. The Billy Goat trail offers some really great scenery.  You will be shocked that you are 5 miles outside the city limits.

Rock Creek Park and the National Zoo area

Roosevelt Island on the Potomac River (just across from Georgetown)

FDR Memorial is quiet and intimate with the landscape along the tidal basin which is also very nice

Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

mjrichardson

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 02:30:32 am »

Hi Fike

Thanks very much for your input, much appreciated.

I'll have a good explore and won't worry about carrying the camera about with me.

Thanks again

Mat

Greg Campbell

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 11:37:12 am »

I've only been through the area once, but do remember the mountains to the west being very pretty. You might head for Shenandoah National Park, about 2 hours outside town.  http://www.nps.gov/shen/index.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up