Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: colormunki, 3008wfp, epson px-g5000 -> reddish prints...  (Read 2661 times)

sty

colormunki, 3008wfp, epson px-g5000 -> reddish prints...
« on: August 17, 2010, 01:28:54 am »

tldr part:
Haven't printed for a while so I did the colormunki calibration for epson photo paper, and the prints got out very oversaturated, skintones were all reddish.

Long version:

Did a nice shoot of Japanese bellydancing group, lots of skin and got beautiful results from the 5d2 70-200L IS. Perfect skins (and a lot of it ;) ) on my 3008wfp (just calibrated).

Of course the girls desperately want some printouts so I took my px-g5000 (I think it's R1800 in US) out of the closet and did some head tests. Lots of streaking so it took 4-5 rounds of head cleaning to get clean test results (and a few cartridge swaps, getting expensive...). After that I printed the calibration sheet, let it dry for 1 hour, then the next calibration sheet, dry 1 hour...

And the initial print came out pretty nasty. Skin was reddish, the print was slightly dark, quite different from my prints 6 months ago. I'm pretty sure I'm not double-profiling the prints:

LR3 print module -> choose the target paper profile created by colormunki -> disable color management from epson driver, choose proper paper etc...

I actually tried the stock paper profile from epson, looked much better although slightly de-saturated.

So what could it be?

1) double-profiling for some unknown reason (recheck)
2) inks that have been in for 6-9 months (swap all cartridges)
3) printheads are getting old (send for repairs, or buy a modern printer... maybe canon this time)
4) crappy profile from colormunki combined with #2
5) something else?

sty

Re: colormunki, 3008wfp, epson px-g5000 -> reddish prints...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 11:32:47 pm »

Kind of figured this out.

The printhead is gone and the matte black plus gloss optimiser won't unclog at all. The rest of the inks were too old too. Replaced all the cartridges with new ones and I got the color accuracy where it should be.

Still doesn't really explain why I have to put 2/3 stops overexposure to get something that is closely representative what I have on my screen :/

But I think I'm in for a new printer. Maybe canon will come out with the ipf5300 very soon :)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 08:20:20 am »

Still doesn't really explain why I have to put 2/3 stops overexposure to get something that is closely representative what I have on my screen :/

A very common problem is to have the display's luminance set too high. I have mine set to 100 and get a very good screen to print brightness match.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

sty

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 12:45:47 am »

It's getting better after re-calibrating to 100, getting ok-ish results although the loss of the gloss optimiser wasn't fun. Oh well, when the budget allows I guess it's a new printer time.

Nowadays I'm getting little bit nervous about publishing the photos, after exporting from Lightroom to Flickr seems that sRGB is not doing any favors regarding skin tones and overall saturation...

I wonder how off the colors are when viewed from uncalibrated consumer-level display using non-color aware browser...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blosphere/5170545863/in/photostream/  (from 6156 to 6241)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 05:25:41 pm »

Nowadays I'm getting little bit nervous about publishing the photos, after exporting from Lightroom to Flickr seems that sRGB is not doing any favors regarding skin tones and overall saturation...

Flickr can do ugly things to photos. How do the exports look on your computer or on Facebook or Google+?

Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up