Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phoozl  (Read 1507 times)

Haraldo

• Phoozl - photo games & more
Phoozl
« on: August 09, 2010, 07:46:54 pm »

Not sure where else to put this, so here goes... (Michael has approved)...

I haven't been active here for, oh, a couple years. One reason is because of my all-consuming new project: Phoozl. If you know me as a serious book author ("Mastering Digital Printing") then you might be surprised by my new effort, which is pretty unique in the world of photography, or at least I think so. Basically, it's an online destination for having fun with photos and photography (and other visual arts). I'm not going to say too much more but rather suggest you just scope it out at:
Phoozl: photo games & more

The main reason I thought of you guys, besides the fact that L-L is one of my earliest photo forums (member since 2005), is because of my first "mission challenge": Mission Blue (under PhoozNews tab). It's a whimsical assignment that is catching the interest of landscape shooters. You're guaranteed a critique by me or the creative director of Azure Magazine from the Land of Atlantis (whimsical, remember? .

Just one caveat: Phoozl is still a work in progress; a "public beta". Not all functions are working yet, but I'm totally excited about it. Let me know what you think, OK? Comments and questions appreciated. 

Haraldo
aka Harald Johnson
www.phoozl.com

P.S. One of the games I created for Phoozl might interest you: "Where Are We?". It's a location game based on a lot on landscape photos. Check it out! (under "The Ws" category)

P.P.S. Don't even try Phoozl on an iPad! That darn that Steve Jobs launched the iPad just as I was getting going with Phoozl, which happens to incorporate a lot of Flash. I'll figure out a way around that eventually. Or just wait for the HP Slate or Android tablets. On a personal note, I'm really not happy with Apple's totalitarian approach to gatekeeping on the web. 
Haraldo
aka Harald Johnson [url=http://w

Haraldo

Phoozl - Mission Blue Results in
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 05:29:50 pm »

Mission Blue 1 results are in!
See at: http://www.phoozl.com/article-13-Mission-Blue-1-Results-Are-In.html

Not all are landscapes but most.

Start prepping for Mission Blue 2!

H

P.S. Did anyone play the "Where Are We?" game?
Haraldo

Geoff Wittig

Re: Phoozl
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 10:07:01 pm »

Hmmmm.
Cute 'n cuddly and all. And I guess there's something to be said for taking photography less seriously now and then.
Still, like many folks here I like to think photography can be art. And your Phoozl site seems sort of like a Play-Doh™ version of real sculpture, if you know what I mean.

But that's just me.

(Love your book, by the way; owned both editions. Mike Johnston just included it in his list of best 'how to' photography books this week at his Online Photographer blog.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:09:07 pm by Geoff Wittig »

Haraldo

Re: Phoozl
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 01:20:15 am »

Hi Geoff... thanks for response (and the kind words about my books).

I was actually expecting this from someone here. And I understand what you're saying. So here are some responses to consider about what I'm doing with Phoozl:

1. "Play" is an essential component of normal human development (non-human, too). We all play as children, but as time goes on we tend to push Play to the background. Although not completely. We still play racquetball at the gym, or Fantasy Football, or compete with colleagues to see who can make the shot of waded-up paper into the trash can. Play is always there under the surface, waiting for a chance to come out (in my world view anyway).

2. Play can be an excellent way to learn for some people or in some situations. There are lots of examples of teachers using Play to get students (including adults) motivated to learn. People seem to enjoy learning more when they're also having fun. Not in every case, but in many cases. Which is why I created an online game called "Photo IQ: What's Yours?" (on Phoozl). I'm not an accredited photo educator, but I contracted with one to produce the game's contents. And I can tell you that many photographers and photo enthusiasts have played that game and told me later that (A) it captivated them, and (B) they learned things they didn't know before about photography. They were learning while they were playing, which is music to my ears.

3. I absolutely consider photography to be an art (when that's the photographer's intent). And I'm no stranger to fine-art photography, having curated photo exhibitions, judged photo contests, bought fine-art photo prints, created and sold fine-art photo prints, yada, yada. So while my new site Phoozl might seem "lightweight" or "Play-Doh"ish to you or others currently without a lot of avenues for photography as an art to be displayed or viewed or discussed, that will be changing over time. The "Mission Blue" challenge was a first simple attempt at a low-tech version of doing this. There is more to come. But I will try to maintain a "Phun" attitude throughout.

4. I'm not anti-serious-photo. How could I be? I've spent 30+ years involved with the profession of photography. It's been a huge part of my life's work/career. That's a serious career with serious credentials and serious work behind me. But you know what? I haven't had this much fun with photography (working on Phoozl) as my fondest memories of first borrowing my father-in-law's Voigtländer range-finder and "playing" with it to see what it (and I) could do. Which was to create magic.

My goal now is to create some more of that magic but with a different vehicle. And let others share in that magic-creation in a new way that I think is pretty unique. We'll see how things evolve. But I appreciate your taking a look and giving your opinion. I'm listening.
Haraldo
Pages: [1]   Go Up