Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya RZ67 II or IID?  (Read 3633 times)

amsp

Mamiya RZ67 II or IID?
« on: August 09, 2010, 12:09:08 pm »

I'm thinking of buying an RZ for my Phase back in the near future and remember reading about connection problems with the "D" model. If the people here using the RZ could give me some feedback on this and other issues I'd appreciate it. If possible I'd like to not deal with a cable between the back and camera, but not at the expense of stability obviously.

cheers

Imaginara

Mamiya RZ67 II or IID?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 12:58:59 pm »

Quote from: amsp
I'm thinking of buying an RZ for my Phase back in the near future and remember reading about connection problems with the "D" model. If the people here using the RZ could give me some feedback on this and other issues I'd appreciate it. If possible I'd like to not deal with a cable between the back and camera, but not at the expense of stability obviously.

cheers

I am in a similar situation myself and i have a Phase one back and a RZ Pro2 so i asked the Phase One guys and you can make it work, but it requires an extra cable which is a huge drag (in essence, a two operation shutter).

So to run a back directly integrated with the camera (without extra cables and cumbersome operation) you need the Pro II D and the digital adapter plate.

RomainVaucher

Mamiya RZ67 II or IID?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 02:20:39 pm »

I use the Pro II with V adapter plate. And I like it a lot because if I ever need another back, it is way more easy to find a V back than a M back. Plus I heard that there were some problems with the ProIID.

In the end it depends if you want to rent backs a lot and if one cable is a problem for you.

Imaginara

Mamiya RZ67 II or IID?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 02:59:48 pm »

Romain. so all that is required is one cable? What i heard was that you basically needed to trigger the back first then the camera (or something similar), ie a two stage operation to take a picture. If its just one cable to sync it all then it's not a big deal (at least not to me).

Also, if you have a M back (like i do), what adapter should one get to mount it on the Pro II then?

As i already have a Pro2 house which i'm happy with it would  save me a quite a lot of hassle not to have to buy a Pro IID and the digital adapter.

(amsp, sorry if i hijacked your thread but i am assuming you are interested in this info aswell ;D

RomainVaucher

Mamiya RZ67 II or IID?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 03:06:20 pm »

Quote from: Imaginara
Romain. so all that is required is one cable? What i heard was that you basically needed to trigger the back first then the camera (or something similar), ie a two stage operation to take a picture. If its just one cable to sync it all then it's not a big deal (at least not to me).

Also, if you have a M back (like i do), what adapter should one get to mount it on the Pro II then?

As i already have a Pro2 house which i'm happy with it would  save me a quite a lot of hassle not to have to buy a Pro IID and the digital adapter.

(amsp, sorry if i hijacked your thread but i am assuming you are interested in this info aswell ;D

Yeah basically you have one cable going from the back to the lens and that's it. You only have to take your picture as always after that.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Mamiya RZ67 II or IID?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 03:17:11 pm »

RZ Pro II with non-M mount Phase One back*: 1 cable - normal operation
RZ Pro II with M mount Phase One back: 1 cable - manual back wakeup required (either 2 cables, or 1 cable with a wakeup button at the base). Our company (Capture Integration) does not recommend this combination at all.
RZ Pro IID with M mount Phase One back: no cables - normal operation (feels very integrated)

To me the choice is easy: IID with M mount back. The connection problems are most often experienced by people renting the system rather than those who buy it. The thing is that you have to attach the back to the adapter plate with a decent amount of vigor. If you attach it delicately it may not make full/complete connections. If you attach it completely you will find it very reliable. Also the body battery is not super long lasting and when it dies the symptoms are the same as a "connection" issue.

Even "integrated" back/body systems occasionally have such issues (usually related to low batteries or unclean electrical connections). Heck, I even see a few Canon lenses a year which show a "connection" issue with a Canon body because of unclean contacts.

*various companies make adapters that can physically mount an H or V or C mount Phase One back to an RZ Pro II.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:18:13 pm by dougpetersonci »

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
Mamiya RZ67 II or IID?
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 03:49:49 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
RZ Pro II with non-M mount Phase One back*: 1 cable - normal operation
RZ Pro II with M mount Phase One back: 1 cable - manual back wakeup required (either 2 cables, or 1 cable with a wakeup button at the base). Our company (Capture Integration) does not recommend this combination at all.
RZ Pro IID with M mount Phase One back: no cables - normal operation (feels very integrated)

To me the choice is easy: IID with M mount back. The connection problems are most often experienced by people renting the system rather than those who buy it. The thing is that you have to attach the back to the adapter plate with a decent amount of vigor. If you attach it delicately it may not make full/complete connections. If you attach it completely you will find it very reliable. Also the body battery is not super long lasting and when it dies the symptoms are the same as a "connection" issue.

Even "integrated" back/body systems occasionally have such issues (usually related to low batteries or unclean electrical connections). Heck, I even see a few Canon lenses a year which show a "connection" issue with a Canon body because of unclean contacts.

*various companies make adapters that can physically mount an H or V or C mount Phase One back to an RZ Pro II.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

doug, is eco-digital the only company that makes a contax to rz adaptor?

cheers paul

check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Imaginara

Mamiya RZ67 II or IID?
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 06:35:49 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci

Thanx Doug for clearing that out. This was what i was told aswell, and if i had a different Phase one back mount it would have been easier, but then my 645AFD wouldn't be happy ;D

So i guess i just have to go for the ProIID solution.

BigWooha

• http://www.graemewaugh.com
Re: Mamiya RZ67 II or IID?
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 04:33:44 pm »

I'm actually selling my IID and adapter plate just now, but have used it with P40+ and P65+ and never had any major hassle . Works a treat, definitely had more bother when I used the   older RZ

JV

Re: Mamiya RZ67 II or IID?
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 10:23:51 pm »

Related to this a Phase One KnowledgeBase article:
Which Phase One Digital Backs work with which adapters on the Mamiya RZ and RB cameras?
http://www.phaseone.com/en/search/article.aspx?articleid=1123&languageid=1
Pages: [1]   Go Up