Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silverfast AI Studio  (Read 2765 times)

PeterHruby

Silverfast AI Studio
« on: July 22, 2010, 01:23:19 pm »

I'm fairly new in digital printing, mainly because I scored a good deal on Epson 7880. I do mostly analog but that's another story. I red lots of threads but I couldn't find how to set up Silverfast color management section for calibration.

I tried several options but none of them worked (one worked but I turned off monitor ICC profile as well).

I set the color management as follows:

CMS/Color management:
Scanner > Internal: None;
Internal > Monitor:  NEC P221W custom Profile;
Internal > Output:   RGB.

Profiles for ColorSync
Scanner (Reflective):    Default ICC (dimmed)
Scanner (Transparent): <None>
Internal:                      ProPhoto
Gray:                          None
Output/Printer:             <None> (dimmed)
Rendering Intent:         Perceptual

Embedded Profile:
Embed ICC profile: Checked
Profile to Embed:    ProPhoto

I did a IT8 scan and evaluated in Monaco since I have Monaco EZcolor Calibration package. All went well, obtained ICC profile. Opened the Silverfast and then changed Scanner > Internal: New Epson 4990 profile. Other options remained the same. Scanned the IT8 Profile again and... went greeninsh. However, if I change Internal > Monitor option to <none>, looks very good, nicely satuared, curves fantastic, greys are neutral.

Question one: Are my settings and calibration process correct? If not can you point me to proper set up?
Question two: If set up is correct, do I keep color management for monitor turned off or it must be turned on?

Thanks for the advice.
Peter

BobFisher

Silverfast AI Studio
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 02:57:26 pm »

If you've got the text file that supports the target you're using, you can use Silverfast to profile your scanner too.  

Here's how I've got Silverfast set up for colour management.  It's been a long time since I looked at this so I'm hoping none of the settings have changed.

CM
None
None
RGB

Profiles for ICM
Ref - Profile I created (RF_V750 3_31_10 Ref)
Tran - Profile I created (RF_V750 3_30_10 Trans)
ProPhotoRGB
None
None
Rel Col

Embed ICC Profiles
Box checked
ProPhotoRGB (should be the default based on selection of Internal in Profiles for ICM)

The other option is to set the Reflective and Transparency profiles in Profiles for ICM to None then Apply the respective profile after the scan in PS.  

There's no need to have the monitor profile set as your specific monitor profile in SF because your graphics card is already using that profile to display images on screen.  It may be that you're getting a double profiling problem which is causing your colour issues.

PeterHruby

Silverfast AI Studio
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:57:18 pm »

Quote from: BobFisher
If you've got the text file that supports the target you're using, you can use Silverfast to profile your scanner too.

Thanks Bob, unfortunately this one doesn't. I have to use EZ color for calibration. I will try to use your settings but I will set the working ICC profile to Adobe 1998. My monitor has capability to show this profile fully and I will exclusively print inkjets only, which their gamut is even lower. ProPhoto seems to bring more problems than benefits. And I have B&W workflow only.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:57:45 pm by PeterHruby »

BobFisher

Silverfast AI Studio
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 02:38:07 am »

My 3800 can print colours outside AdobeRGB in some colours and inside in others.  The newer x900 models can print far beyond AdobeRGB, nearly all of ProPhoto if I recall.  Not that any of that matters if you're working with b&w exclusively but just wanting to address the misconception that inkjets have a very narrow gamut capability.  A lot depends on the paper as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up