Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mamiya 645 afd (and p25+) wide angle lenses  (Read 5015 times)

MH

mamiya 645 afd (and p25+) wide angle lenses
« on: July 26, 2010, 10:12:49 am »

hi,

i have the pleasure to work very soon with a phase one p25+ on my mamiya 645 afd.
my subjects are mainly architecture, landscape and transportation, so i always need a good wide angle lens.

in the past i used to have a pentax/mamiya 67 camera and a canon 5d mark 2.
for the canon it is quite easy, if you need a very good digital optimized lens, buy a ts-e II lens and you`ll have the possibility to stitch architectural shots...

for a digital mamiya 645 system its little bit difficult. its pretty tough to get any information on the web.
i know there are the new afd lenses and they are build for the digital workflow.
but they are a little bit too expensive for me, renting them would be a solution, but there should be one or two wide angle lenses in my bag.

in the past i used the manuel focus versions of 45mm and 35mm.. on film sharp and distortion was okay.
i`m asking myself if they work on a digital back. as i read the af-lenses use the same glass, so they should be indentical.
i`m thinking about CA, sharpness and distortion!?

there is another wide-angle lens on the market, a hartblei 40mm lens.
i read one review with the lens on a contax, but this was the only one i found.
hartblei says that there is 2,5% distortion on that lens, which is pretty much for a 40mm lens.

so what wide angle lenses do you use on your mamiya 645!?

thanks
m.

sinar444

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 10:52:38 am »

Hi Michael,

You'd better using the 50mm Mamiya shift lens for architecture photography. It's not a "D" lens but it makes very good pictures. Otherwise the 35 mm Mamiya lens is a good choice or the 24mm Mamiya fisheye (of course with the fisheye distortion).

Best regards

ondebanks

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 12:02:15 pm »

Quote from: MichaelFunke

thanks
m.

Hi Michael,

Since March I've been using something similar - Mamiya 645AFD, Kodak DCS645M back with 9 micron pixels like your P25+, but 36.7 x 36.7mm square rather than 48.9 x 36.7mm.

I already had a manual focus "N" version of the 35/3.5. Wasn't that crazy about it on 645 film, because of pronounced astigmatism in the corners. But I was astonished how good it is on the cropped digital sensor, even wide open. It outresolves the sensor at modest f-stops. It does have some distortion (line curvature) though. You might be hitting the corner problem with the bigger P25+ sensor, or maybe not.

Good luck,
Ray

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 01:03:10 pm »

Quote from: ondebanks
Hi Michael,

Since March I've been using something similar - Mamiya 645AFD, Kodak DCS645M back with 9 micron pixels like your P25+, but 36.7 x 36.7mm square rather than 48.9 x 36.7mm.

I already had a manual focus "N" version of the 35/3.5. Wasn't that crazy about it on 645 film, because of pronounced astigmatism in the corners. But I was astonished how good it is on the cropped digital sensor, even wide open. It outresolves the sensor at modest f-stops. It does have some distortion (line curvature) though. You might be hitting the corner problem with the bigger P25+ sensor, or maybe not.

Good luck,
Ray

I used to shoot with the 35/3.5 lens on a 36.7 X 36.7 sensor too, and the results were excellent. Unfortunately, the lens did not work well with the 48 X 36 39mp sensor that I later upgraded to. The corners were soft even at f/16, especially when focussed on anything beyond 30 feet away. The 50mm shift lens is good, but it isn't particularly wide.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:03:50 pm by BobDavid »

MattBeardsley

• http://mattbeardsleyphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 01:36:10 pm »

I had an opportunity to shoot with the current 28mm f4.5 this past Saturday (branded as a Phase One).  It was awesome.  It would make an interesting tool for architecture.  It has very little distortion, which is impressive at 28mm.  It might be worth a weekend rental for you..

Quote from: MichaelFunke
hi,

i have the pleasure to work very soon with a phase one p25+ on my mamiya 645 afd.
my subjects are mainly architecture, landscape and transportation, so i always need a good wide angle lens.

in the past i used to have a pentax/mamiya 67 camera and a canon 5d mark 2.
for the canon it is quite easy, if you need a very good digital optimized lens, buy a ts-e II lens and you`ll have the possibility to stitch architectural shots...

for a digital mamiya 645 system its little bit difficult. its pretty tough to get any information on the web.
i know there are the new afd lenses and they are build for the digital workflow.
but they are a little bit too expensive for me, renting them would be a solution, but there should be one or two wide angle lenses in my bag.

in the past i used the manuel focus versions of 45mm and 35mm.. on film sharp and distortion was okay.
i`m asking myself if they work on a digital back. as i read the af-lenses use the same glass, so they should be indentical.
i`m thinking about CA, sharpness and distortion!?

there is another wide-angle lens on the market, a hartblei 40mm lens.
i read one review with the lens on a contax, but this was the only one i found.
hartblei says that there is 2,5% distortion on that lens, which is pretty much for a 40mm lens.

thanks
m.
Matt Beardsley, Oakland, CA
The Artist:  http://mattbeardsleyphoto.com
The Nerd:  http://photoartsmonthly.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up