Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Photography Back problems  (Read 1787 times)

pixjohn

Leaf Photography Back problems
« on: June 23, 2010, 04:15:50 pm »

I am looking for the number for anyone who will help. Mike Edwards said he would help, but I never heard back from him. When my back was still under warranty with Leaf America I had problems. I sent the back to Rick before he moved to Phaseone and was told nothing is wrong. The problem I have, it still does not work correctly. Several years ago Leaf in Israel was nice enough to clean the back but then decided to upgrade the unit and it never worked correctly from that day. I have asked for help from everyone but no one will help me. I have been shooting with the back, but I have to shoot 4 - 6 shots before one image appears and some images have lines. I can't use it on people shoots because of this. If you see my posting history, you will see the long term problems. I feel like I have a $28,000 paper weight. LEAF, KODAK And LEAF AMERICA never took care of me or my back.

What do you do? I would like to talk to Rick with Leaf again, any contact numbers? The unit has the same problem that was never  fixed under warranty. Should I lose out? I can't even sell the back because It does not work correctly. Who can afford to buy such high end gear and get stuck.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 04:36:07 pm by pixjohn »

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 05:35:51 pm »

Hi
Do you have the problem when shooting tethered or on the card ?

If on the card try another card and choose uncompressed.
If tethered it could be a power issue.
Do you have it in both capture one and leaf capture ?

The lines are they horizontal black or vertical lighter ones.

I've seen black lines when my battery is almost at 70% on the mbp. With a full battery and on the power they never show up. So that's why I think about power issues or maybe cable issues ?
Did you try another FireWire cable ?

pixjohn

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 06:39:06 pm »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
Do you have the problem when shooting tethered or on the card ?

The back has issue both tethered and with cf card. When shooting tethered I get the misfires. I see the software transferring the file but no image appears. It usually take several shots to get one image to appear. When shooting to CF card it will just stop. Sometime 10 shots sometime 50 shots. I am using different CF cards and get the same issue. It does not matter if it is compressed or uncompressed.

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
If tethered it could be a power issue.
Do you have it in both capture one and leaf capture ?

The lines are they horizontal black or vertical lighter ones.

I've seen black lines when my battery is almost at 70% on the mbp. With a full battery and on the power they never show up. So that's why I think about power issues or maybe cable issues ?
Did you try another FireWire cable ?

I have shot to 2 different Macbook Pros old and newer models and also Imac, same problem. I have changed firewire cords from 400-400 400-800, short cords, long cords and cords that don't even connect the back.

I get vertical lines, never in the same place. Rick at Leaf told me he shot 400 frames and no problem? I am not even sure he plugged the back in. How could 3 computers 1/2 dozen cables, 3 versions of Leaf software all have the same issue?

here is a post from last year with the issue
Image with Lines

The sad part I really like the quality of the Leaf images but feel so turned off by years of being ignored by LEAF, YaYa no responce when he post here as a manufacture rep (if someone is going to act as a rep for a manufacture here, they should not be allowed to continue if they pick and choose issue's. I know YaYa does not respond because of past post by me about Leaf issues. He should take the good and the bad or stay off the boards, and Calumet who never helped.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:54:48 pm by pixjohn »

pixjohn

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 06:46:24 pm »

Is it to much for someone from Leaf past or present to step up and contact me? Not once in4 years with all the problems did Leaf contact me I had to beg to get something done.

pixjohn

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 06:50:32 pm »

I will give him a call.

Mike Edwards the past Leaf rep who now works for Mamiya said he would contact the last Leaf person still in Israel but never heard back from him.

Quote from: John-S
Talk with Steve Hendrix at Capture Integration (he has sold ALL brands and knows the people), best fellow there is, straight talker. I imagine he can help get the ball rolling to a solution.

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 09:06:33 pm »

Pix,
Send the back to Mac group.
As the Leaf backs in the US have morphed to Mamiya branding here, they are the repair staion.
Rick was very helpful, but is no longer with Leaf/mamiya.
At Photomark, I work with the backs as well, all the time.
Are you sure you have the correct firmware to match your operating system.
I just had a customer with a problem and that is what it turned out to be.
His wouldn't fire consistently.
After Mamiya checked the back and installed the correct drivers for his computer, no problem anymore.
They are really helpful.
Rod

Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

del_pscc

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 01:33:12 am »

Pixjohn --

Based on your example, this looks like a problem that I encountered with certain CF cards on my AFI7.  Since it misbehaved with several different CF cards, I assumed that the problem was elsewhere -- presumably the back.  Not so.  As it turned out, the problem disappeared when I changed CF cards.

By the way, the original, troublesome CF cards operate, apparently troublefree, in various Canon EOS cameras.

Dave.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 02:02:02 am »

Quote from: pixjohn
I am looking for the number for anyone who will help. Mike Edwards said he would help, but I never heard back from him. When my back was still under warranty with Leaf America I had problems. I sent the back to Rick before he moved to Phaseone and was told nothing is wrong. The problem I have, it still does not work correctly. Several years ago Leaf in Israel was nice enough to clean the back but then decided to upgrade the unit and it never worked correctly from that day. I have asked for help from everyone but no one will help me. I have been shooting with the back, but I have to shoot 4 - 6 shots before one image appears and some images have lines. I can't use it on people shoots because of this. If you see my posting history, you will see the long term problems. I feel like I have a $28,000 paper weight. LEAF, KODAK And LEAF AMERICA never took care of me or my back.

What do you do? I would like to talk to Rick with Leaf again, any contact numbers? The unit has the same problem that was never  fixed under warranty. Should I lose out? I can't even sell the back because It does not work correctly. Who can afford to buy such high end gear and get stuck.

Hello John, sorry for the delay (I'm 8 hrs ahead of you I believe)

Looking at the image posted above, It seems that your back will have to go in for a repair,

Please submit a support case on the website (you might need to register and create a profile).

We have people monitoring the site nearly 20 hrs a day so you should get a response fairly quickly. We will probably ask a few more questions about your exact setup and workflow.

As suggested by John-S you can also do it via a dealer, Steve or others.

Regarding CF cards, we have this covered by this article, explaining how to best format a card in 10.6.x

As much as we like public boards, they are not always the best vehicle for moving things quickly, support-wise.

BR

Yair

Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |
Pages: [1]   Go Up