Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR3 much slower than LR2 and even Beta!?  (Read 27187 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
LR3 much slower than LR2 and even Beta!?
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 04:33:08 am »

Well, I did some more testing last night. Fairly obviously, RAW file size should be a factor in all this. The only alternative RAWs I have are very small, from my old Panasonic LC1 at 5MP each. So I resurrected a few of those, picked one at random, loaded it into LR3 and did all the stuff I normally do - perspective correction, rotate and crop, basic edits and levels, grads, local brush adjustments, spot removal. And LR3 ran as smooth as silk throughout, no slow-downs, hangs or glitches at all. Every action was real-time and instantaneous. I kept an eye on memory usage, and it never got above 2GB.

So this might explain why some users are perfectly happy with LR3 and others are tearing their hair out. Probably, for every particular PC/Mac hardware setup, there is a RAW file size above which you will experience problems, and below which you will be absolutely fine. This RAW size hinge point might be 12MP on one machine, and 20MP on another, depending on your hardware. So some users on some machines with relatively small files will see no issues at all.

With LR 2.6 and 2.7 even my 39MP files ran just fine. On the same PC, LR3 is pretty much unusable if I activate the Lens Correction panel - even if I don't, multiple brush edits will slow it down very noticeably, which did not happen with 2.x

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2010, 06:43:19 am »

UPDATE: looks like Adobe team found the bug in LR3 that's making it so slow. Fix is supposed to be coming soon.. More here, on Adobe forums.

vandevanterSH

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2010, 11:26:13 am »

Quote from: Slobodan Blagojevic
UPDATE: looks like Adobe team found the bug in LR3 that's making it so slow. Fix is supposed to be coming soon.. More here, on Adobe forums.

From Dan Tull:
"We just confirmed a fix for a mistake in the way cached previews were being accounted for internally. Previews are used pretty extensively throughout the app, but the most glaring place that one would show up was during sustained rapid advances through Library loupe on a large monitor."

Interesting... I am using two 30",  so maybe that explains some of the LR3 odd behavior that I am seeing.

Steve

Sheldon N

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2010, 06:13:27 pm »

Quote from: vandevanterSH
From Dan Tull:
"We just confirmed a fix for a mistake in the way cached previews were being accounted for internally. Previews are used pretty extensively throughout the app, but the most glaring place that one would show up was during sustained rapid advances through Library loupe on a large monitor."

Interesting... I am using two 30",  so maybe that explains some of the LR3 odd behavior that I am seeing.

Steve

Awesome news! That's exactly when I would experience the problem, during rapid scrolling and tagging through images in Library Loupe viewing. I use a dual 24" and 20" setup. Can't wait for the bug fix. Was even considering Photo Mechanic as a temporary band-aid to the problem.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:13:54 pm by Sheldon N »
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Sheldon N

Re: LR3 much slower than LR2 and even Beta!?
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 11:27:37 am »

Been using LR 3.2RC, and it's better on rapid advances through photos in the library and when tagging photos. However I will still hit the brick wall at 100% RAM usage which slows everything to a crawl. I think that they are going to need to fix the way LR accesses RAM, capping it at 80-90% usage of available RAM rather than letting it run to 100%.
Sheldon Nalos

Sheldon N

« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2010, 11:17:18 am »

Just downloaded the full release version of LR 3.2 and tried it out. Seems faster still, and it's TOTALLY fixed! My issue with RAM usage is gone, no RAM leak as you scroll through and tag images in the Loupe view. RAM usage stays at around 40% of the total capacity, just like it did with LR2.

Thanks Adobe!
Sheldon Nalos

vandevanterSH

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2010, 01:44:39 pm »

Just downloaded 3.2 and with  dual 30" monitors seems much better.  So far not seeing "the spinning wheel of death" with rapid scrolls, etc.  Keeping fingers crossed.

Steve

2jbourret

• http://jamesbourret.photoshelter.com
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2010, 04:33:43 pm »

As John has noted above, the most common source of slowdowns for me has also been the use of the lens corrections panel. Preview generation following a perspective adjustment becomes painfully slow, and any other adjustments after that are essentially doomed. I'm hoping the full v3.2 release takes care of the problem. I'll download and try that later today.

Hoping for a solution!
Jamie Bourret
[url=http://jamesbourret.p
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up