Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider 43mm  (Read 12103 times)

CBarrett

Schneider 43mm
« on: June 20, 2010, 04:01:03 pm »

Just spent two days shooting and used the new 43 with the Rm3d on 80% of the shots. Have I mentioned that 45mm is my favorite focal length on the P65+?

The new Schneider is nothing short of stellar!  It has excellent depth of field and sharpness that allowed 20mm of movement with ease. I'll get some samples up this evening. This lens was so worth the wait.

CB

jotloob

Schneider 43mm
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 04:29:58 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
Just spent two days shooting and used the new 43 with the Rm3d on 80% of the shots. Have I mentioned that 45mm is my favorite focal length on the P65+?

The new Schneider is nothing short of stellar!  It has excellent depth of field and sharpness that allowed 20mm of movement with ease. I'll get some samples up this evening. This lens was so worth the wait.

CB

Chris

Congrats for your new WA lens , the SCHNEIDER 43mm .
You report a 20mm movement for that lens .
Do you then do an additional WB shot ? ? ? to avoid color casts ? ? ?

Using the RODENSTOCK HR DIGARON S 4,5/28mm , I receive a visible magenta cast on the one side and a cyan cast on the other side when using the CFV-39 back .
I can get rid of that using PSCS , but it means additional work .

Jürgen
Jürgen

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Schneider 43mm
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 04:50:03 pm »

Quote from: jotloob
Chris

Congrats for your new WA lens , the SCHNEIDER 43mm .
You report a 20mm movement for that lens .
Do you then do an additional WB shot ? ? ? to avoid color casts ? ? ?

Using the RODENSTOCK HR DIGARON S 4,5/28mm , I receive a visible magenta cast on the one side and a cyan cast on the other side when using the CFV-39 back .
I can get rid of that using PSCS , but it means additional work .

Jürgen

Simple color cast correction.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

jotloob

Schneider 43mm
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 05:33:41 pm »

Quote from: Christopher
Simple color cast correction.

Christopher

Can you please explain that in more detail ? ? ?

I do not want to remove magenta and cyan from all over the image .
I am using PHOCUS 2.5 , but don't see , what you mean by simple color cast correction .

Jürgen
Jürgen

Christopher

Schneider 43mm
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 06:21:44 pm »

Quote from: jotloob
Christopher

Can you please explain that in more detail ? ? ?

I do not want to remove magenta and cyan from all over the image .
I am using PHOCUS 2.5 , but don't see , what you mean by simple color cast correction .

Jürgen

Well I'm shooting often shifted to 15mm or more and the only way to get a good image, without spending to much time in PS is simple to shoot a second white photo, which one can use for a LCC (color cast) correction in Capture one. I have no clue about Phocus, but I expect something similar in there. It is a great and simple way, to remove all color casts which came from shifting the back or lens in the first place.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

CBarrett

Schneider 43mm
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 07:05:25 pm »

Well I'm shooting often shifted to 15mm or more and the only way to get a good image, without spending to much time in PS is simple to shoot a second white photo, which one can use for a LCC (color cast) correction in Capture one. I have no clue about Phocus, but I expect something similar in there. It is a great and simple way, to remove all color casts which came from shifting the back or lens in the first place.

Same here.  No experience with Phocus, but in C1 Pro an LCC shot is part of every bracket, takes out all the color shift.  I use it as well for vignetting but not always at 100%.

-CB

PaulSchneider

Schneider 43mm
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 09:02:43 pm »

Same here.  No experience with Phocus, but in C1 Pro an LCC shot is part of every bracket, takes out all the color shift.  I use it as well for vignetting but not always at 100%.

-CB

If I may ask, how do you do that white shot? Do you hold an opaque plate in front of the lens or do you use an expodisc?

Regards

Paul

Christopher

Schneider 43mm
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 01:56:42 am »

Quote from: PaulSchneider
If I may ask, how do you do that white shot? Do you hold an opaque plate in front of the lens or do you use an expodisc?

Regards

Paul

Phase One sells a white plastic card, which is made for that purpose. ( I think you get it when buying the larger package )
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

CBarrett

Schneider 43mm
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 08:24:05 am »

Phase One sells a white plastic card, which is made for that purpose. ( I think you get it when buying the larger package )

Right, I started using an Expodisc just because I find it more convenient.  Both work fine.  We use these to create a capture once you've finalized camera movements and then in Capture 1 Pro you create a calibration profile that is applied to the Raw prior to processing.

I would assume Phocus has the same functionality for tech cameras?

-CB

JonathanBenoit

Schneider 43mm
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 10:31:51 am »

Right, I started using an Expodisc just because I find it more convenient.  Both work fine.  We use these to create a capture once you've finalized camera movements and then in Capture 1 Pro you create a calibration profile that is applied to the Raw prior to processing.

-CB

Yes, Phocus has this function, as well.

JdeV

• http://www.jonathandevilliers.com
Schneider 43mm
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 01:44:49 pm »

CB
How do you find the light fall-off? How about sharpness fall-off? (If you don't have measured results a comparison with other lenses would be useful (particularly the Rodenstock HRW series). Cheers.

jotloob

Schneider 43mm
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 02:25:37 am »

-CB

Yes . Ok .
I am using an EXPODISK as well . That was my question , when I asked , if you are doing an additional WB shot .
I do not always perform that WB shot (as I call it) , especially not , when there is no shift required or the lens is not a WA lens .
In PHOCUS , this color correction function is called "scene correction" and it removes the described color cast almost a 100% .

Thanks guys , now I am with you again .

Regards Jürgen
Jürgen

JonathanBenoit

Schneider 43mm
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 07:29:35 am »

Chris, I love the subject description. Are you originally from Massachusetts? Sounds like it wicked bad!

BenNorton

• Benjamin Norton Photography
Schneider 43mm
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 07:59:52 am »

Quote from: JonathanBenoit
Chris, I love the subject description. Are you originally from Massachusetts? Sounds like it wicked bad!

Hahahaha! I have family there in Winchendon and everything is always 'Wicked bad' or 'Wicked good'.... i've even heard that in the winter it gets 'Wicked cold'.
Architectural Photographer based in Louisville KY
Web

marcmccalmont

Schneider 43mm
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 08:50:41 am »

Quote from: BenNorton
Hahahaha! I have family there in Winchendon and everything is always 'Wicked bad' or 'Wicked good'.... i've even heard that in the winter it gets 'Wicked cold'.

I grew up in Acton Mass, we always used "Wicked Cool"
Marc
Marc McCalmont

jotloob

Re: Schneider 43mm
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 03:02:10 pm »

-CB

Chris

Are you taking a WB shot for each stitch position or just one WB shot for all , for example , of the center image of your stitches ???

Jürgen
Jürgen

Murray Fredericks

• http://www.murrayfredericks.com
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 03:23:39 pm »

You must take a white card (LCC) calibration from every position of the stitch.

You should make one for every bracket at every stitch position to be clear.

Some people try and make a set of LCCs in advance at various points of rise/fall/ shift for each lens.  I tried this but found that there was also variation for the lighting condition.

The LCC has no effect on sharpness, however, with wider lenses like the 35mm and the 24mm where fall of is huge, centre filters should be used otherwise the LCC will rip the edges apart and create noise as it adjust the falloff to match the rest of the image.

m
Exhibition Website   http://www.murrayfr

nicksouth

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 06:46:29 pm »

Hi, what lens were you using before the 43XL? How does it compare? Cheers Nick

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 06:50:22 pm »

the prior lens was the Rodenstock Apo Sironar Digi 45.  Not great, but not bad for the money.  The 43 kicks it's ass while juggling kittens.

Alan W George

• http://alan-george.com/
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 07:54:06 pm »

Right, I started using an Expodisc just because I find it more convenient.  Both work fine.  We use these to create a capture once you've finalized camera movements and then in Capture 1 Pro you create a calibration profile that is applied to the Raw prior to processing.

-CB
Chris

Are you taking a WB shot for each stitch position or just one WB shot for all , for example , of the center image of your stitches ???

Jürgen

The Expodisc is used for creating the LCCs.  You can also use one of them for WB if desired, but an in scene gray card is more accurate, in my experience. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up