Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In chase of the New Jpeg ghost  (Read 3791 times)

fredjeang

In chase of the New Jpeg ghost
« on: June 18, 2010, 07:16:22 am »

Hi,

Does anyone have heard again about this "new Jpeg format" that was supposed to be aimed to the pro market and that could not be edited?
There were rumors that camera brands would adopt this format for press applications.

Thank you

LiamStrain

• http://www.streetlevel-photography.com
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:13:36 am »

I know Nikon was using an image authentication system which would alert if raw files were altered from the original capture. And most raw formats are pretty locked down already.

But I have not heard this expanded to the JPG format.

Gary Brown

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:36:41 am »

Quote from: LiamStrain
I know Nikon was using an image authentication system which would alert if raw files were altered from the original capture. And most raw formats are pretty locked down already.

But I have not heard this expanded to the JPG format.
Nikon image authentication works for JPEG as well as NEF files. Here's Nikon's image authentication software page.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 03:08:28 am »

It's a nice thought but ultimately futile. Anyone can perform a screen grab and import an image into Photoshop, regardless of the original format.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 06:30:58 am »

Quote from: Graham Mitchell
It's a nice thought but ultimately futile. Anyone can perform a screen grab and import an image into Photoshop, regardless of the original format.

The point for authentication is to have an audit trail for photos so the photographer can prove there was no editing done to it - important for police and PJs. Editing can always be done, but the authentication trail should reveal it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up