Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: looing for large sheets for 3800  (Read 1672 times)

stever

looing for large sheets for 3800
« on: June 18, 2010, 12:25:45 am »

is Red River the only choice for sheets larger than 17x22?  i want to be able to print close to the maximum size of the 3800, say 17 x 40 without trying to de-curl from a roll.  

i've used the Red River 17x25 Polar White (and a bought some of their 13x38 which i haven't used yet).  they also have 24 x36 which i could cut.  does anyone else have large sheets?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 06:53:10 am »

Harman have 17x25, but the gloss does have a tendency to curl at the edges after printing. I've found it less troublesome to flatten Ilford GFS, and have printed up to 17x50 without much trouble using the UDPS utility.

BradSmith

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:38:07 pm »

I recently purchased Epson Exhibition Fiber in 24X30 sheets at good prices from IT Supplies.

Quote from: stever
is Red River the only choice for sheets larger than 17x22?  i want to be able to print close to the maximum size of the 3800, say 17 x 40 without trying to de-curl from a roll.  

i've used the Red River 17x25 Polar White (and a bought some of their 13x38 which i haven't used yet).  they also have 24 x36 which i could cut.  does anyone else have large sheets?

BradSmith

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:42:00 pm »

David,
I had never heard of this utility.  Googled it and found quite a bit of info.   Thanks for mentioning it.
Brad

Quote from: David Sutton
I've ........ printed up to 17x50 without much trouble using the UDPS utility.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 12:19:30 am by skeedracer »

stever

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 10:46:56 am »

thanks, how do you flatten the GFS?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 06:53:55 pm »

Quote from: stever
thanks, how do you flatten the GFS?

GFS seems to have a good "memory". Roll it up in a tube, take it out and it stays rolled, flatten it and it stays flat. I have a home made de-roller for when I am in a hurry- two pieces of polycarbonate and tissue paper around a 2 1/4 inch plastic water pipe, but I think it's better for the paper to cut it and just leave it overnight on the cutting table or on any clean surface under a sheet of plywood or whatever. Probably putting it reverse-rolled in a largish tube for ten minutes and then storing it flat for an hour or so would also work well.
I'm ambivalent about using a small diameter de-roller as I can often see compression marks across the paper afterwards, but these never show up after printing- my guess is that the paper swells slightly after taking the ink and this removes them. It would have been better to use 6 to 8 inch pipe I think. If I could think ahead a little better, cut the paper a day early, and not suddenly turn into a demon printer late at night, then things would be better.
I usually allow an extra 1 1/2 inches either end of the paper to allow for head strike as the paper exits, but I haven't had this occur since allowing the paper rest under a board for an hour before using it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up