Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perfect service from Sinar in Zurich  (Read 17688 times)

babakBoghraty

Perfect service from Sinar in Zurich
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2010, 04:19:32 pm »

Martin

I did not resurrect this thread; it was yet another "customer" who thought Sinar was perfect.  They come just as the thread is about to go to the second page and add their voice to the chorus of Sinar lovers!

I wish Sinar all the best, as another competitor is always a good things for us consumers.  But this style of self-promotion is OTT and frankly smacks of desperation.  Besides, those of living in Zurich know there is no such thing as perfect service around here -- far from it.

LiamStrain

• http://www.streetlevel-photography.com
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2010, 05:47:59 pm »

The other customer is no Sinar plant, which you would see if you read his other contributions. And my own contribution to this was a lament (having to go to the ends of the earth to source parts and accessories). The vendors who participate here are very clear and honest about their affiliation, and do not write self-promotional threads in such a manner.

It is possible that "far from perfect" service in Zurich is still miles better than we get from some other companies.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 05:54:07 pm by LiamStrain »

babakBoghraty

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2010, 03:50:44 am »

Liam

Take a look at Markus Zuber's glowing "user report" on the Imageprint 8.  Though he never discloses it, he is the exclusive imageprint vendor in Switzerland.  So much for honesty and fair disclosure.

This type of thing ruins the credibility of the site and the manufacturers who participate.  That is why I have a hard time believing anything that manufacturers insert in these sites.  There is apparently no code of conduct for the manufacturers (did Reichmann know that Zuber sells Imageprint and intentionally failed to disclose it?) and yet their contributions in these sites have a big impact on consumer behavior.

To start with, lets ask baudelino his real name: is he the Martin from Sinar?

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2010, 04:35:28 am »

Quote from: babakBoghraty
Other manufacturers also use these fora to gratuitously self-promote, but none is as in-your-face about it as Sinar.

You couldn't be more wrong.

babakBoghraty

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2010, 05:10:43 am »

OK, lets give Sinar a break and move on to others.

I can show you a hundred posts and reviews by "unbiased" reviewers saying the P-65 does not need a wake-up call.  Wow, this was a big deal and a good reason to buy.  But there is more to the story that is not disclosed in any review, post or thread: used in that mode, the back heats up quickly and exhausts the battery in as little as 20 min.  

Another example: Zuber's review of Imageprint 8 does not tell you that the new software does not work in 2880 or 8-pass mode.  This omission is alarmingly misleading, especially when combined with the author's non-disclosure of his bias.

So, concerns about the veracity of information found in these threads are valid.  As the Imageprint example shows, at least some manufacturers contribute to this lack of credibility.

Geoffrey

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2010, 07:23:06 am »

Quote from: baudolino
Well, this thread did start spontaneously and, in terms of its technical contribution, several people learned from my post that you can set up micro focus adjustments with the latest firmware update on the Hy6 - I received private emails from 3 guys who had not known that and asked more info on how this could be installed/operated. And the thread would not continue if you did not submit your latest post which contributed no valuable knowledge. I do not post here frequently and I have no relationship with Sinar. In fact Sinar was absent from this forum for a while and I am glad that Martin Widmann started to contribute since there is less of an installed base and experience to share around than in the case of Phase and Hassy and I appreciate every bit of info found here as the learning curve has been quite steep for me, especially regarding the (somewhat idiosyncratic) RAW conversion software.

The truth is that I received good service from the guys in Zurich and that I was surprised to receive such service from a supplier of a system that has been called "dead". So sorry to have been in your face, please skip any further posts on this topic. Regards, Martin

To second this - we had had communication off the forum, and it was recommended that this story about Sinar service be put it on line. He was initially reluctant ("what would be interesting about this?") but with some urging, posted the story as the first post. Its because Sinar is so ... sluggish about promotion that it seemed that the story of how they delivered in the trenches (in this case) might be of interest.

Self promotion? Hardly. And before you ask... I have no Sinar affiliation. It just seemed kind of interesting to see old world service in the new world.

babakBoghraty

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2010, 08:02:27 am »

Geoffrey

Remember Thierry Sinar?  He used to lurk around all the forums and insert posts about Sinar and other products.  He would get pissie sometimes with other posters and take offense at any suggestion he might have a bias.  He was just too present and said too much.  With his departure I thought Sinar would shift to a more appropriate and professional web presence but this thread indicates otherwise.

Your own post suggests that this thread was not spontaneous as some thought and discussion went into whether it would be interesting enough and beneficial enough to Sinar.  I followed the thread because it had Zurich in the title and noticed that there is also some thought behind keeping it alive and prominent in the forum.  People usually don't pull a thread out of the second page just to agree that a manufacturer is perfect.

The person who started this thread does not disclose his name -- which is against forum rules -- and further erodes the credibility of the thread.  Baudelino's first name is Martin -- we know because he signed just one of his posts.  Sinar's rep's first name is also Martin.  Hmmm!

To me "old world service" means no service.

baudolino

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2010, 12:28:01 pm »

Geoffrey

Remember Thierry Sinar?  He used to lurk around all the forums and insert posts about Sinar and other products.  He would get pissie sometimes with other posters and take offense at any suggestion he might have a bias.  He was just too present and said too much.  With his departure I thought Sinar would shift to a more appropriate and professional web presence but this thread indicates otherwise.

Your own post suggests that this thread was not spontaneous as some thought and discussion went into whether it would be interesting enough and beneficial enough to Sinar.  I followed the thread because it had Zurich in the title and noticed that there is also some thought behind keeping it alive and prominent in the forum.  People usually don't pull a thread out of the second page just to agree that a manufacturer is perfect.

The person who started this thread does not disclose his name -- which is against forum rules -- and further erodes the credibility of the thread.  Baudelino's first name is Martin -- we know because he signed just one of his posts.  Sinar's rep's first name is also Martin.  Hmmm!

The person who started this thread is me, Martin Drazsky from Prague. My company website is www.reformcapital.com. My photography website is still under construction. I use the pseudonym baudolino as I like the novel of the same name by Umberto Eco. Happy now, Babak? Or am I still transgressing?

[attachment=22573:PODO1.jpg]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:30:27 pm by baudolino »

Geoffrey

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2010, 04:19:54 pm »

Geoffrey

Your notion of "old world service" may be a bit different than mine. For me, its business done by trust and obligation, not by fear of litigation. There were fine buildings built in Chicago on a handshake. That's old world where I live. Stand by principles.

Yes, I remember Thierry - and while he might have been biased, he wore it on his sleeve, and it wasn't too hard to tell where he was coming from.

You are insinuating something else entirely here - that this was posed by someone on behalf of Sinar, etc. While you are entitled to your opinion, it doesn't have much to do with the facts in this case. I had correspondence with Martin, and he told me of going to Sinar and the service he got. I suggested he post this story, as it was pretty remarkable service and flies in the face of the norm today, where everyone expects internet speed replies, and de-personalized service. He actually got personalized service from Sinar that met his needs, in a rather wonderful and personable way.

He was reluctant to post it as he didn't see much relevance to the board - upon further urging, he went ahead and he and I have both been bemused by how much interest there has been in this subject. There was no commercial interest in this whatsoever. The only interest I had is that of wondering about the merits of such old-world attention to people and their needs.  

Rather than assigning bad motives to this, might one take another position? that perhaps good things can happen, and when they do, they are worth sharing. Keep in mind Sinar takes such a beating on the net, and bluntly speaking, they are not understood well in the US at all.  Maybe they are an old-world company doing things another way. If telling that is "helping Sinar", gee, I guess that would make us guilty. On the other hand, its hard to talk about camera gear without mentioning a manufacturer, so where is the line drawn?

This story captured a charming old-world situation. One suspects no commercially savvy, new world distributor, run by hedge fund folks would have provided the level of personalized service as was given to Martin for the costs (nominal) that were charged.

MartinWidmann

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2010, 03:36:26 am »

We are definitely not the same person :-) I saw baudolino when he was in Zürich, but I had no chance to talk to him.

Martin
Martin Widmann
Employed by Sinar Photography AG / Switzerland, however the opinions I express are my own.

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2010, 03:51:16 am »

relax relax,

why is nobody posting this news (well, news to me) from this weeks announcement
http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/Sinar-gib...rueckteil-offen (german)

Sinar is opening the P3 and ArTec to the other missing mounts.
No, no, I'm not working for Sinar;-)

Tom-

babakBoghraty

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2010, 06:10:40 am »

Martin

At the end of the day, what counts is the manufacturer's stated policy, whether it relates to customer service, repairs or warranty claims handling.  This stated policy should be binding and apply to everyone.  So, when I took my broken Foba ballhead over to the "guys in Zurich", I could have said I want the service and the lunch you gave to my friend Martin (I did not get that service or the lunch).

Perhaps Martin Widmann can clarify whether Sinar is committed to some special customer service protocol that is better than others.  That would invite no insinuation or suspicion.  

But, given the amount of misleading information that circulates, anonymous posts and fuzzy notions like "old world service" do and should invite questions and scrutiny.  This is a good thing.  After all this, though, we still do not know what exactly is Sinar's actual customer service policy.

PHOTO ZARA

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2010, 07:17:19 am »

Even though I could never understand Sinar's self indulgent attitude towards customers, I loved and used Sinar products. Unfortunately now, they are obviously broken glass, perhaps for some worth picking.

Somehow, Sinar and Leica are are always reminding me that I'm not getting any younger..

Therefore, I said farewell to Sinar and Leica long time ago!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 07:18:12 am by PHOTO ZARA »

BJNY

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2010, 10:27:08 am »

Quote from: tom_l
relax relax,

why is nobody posting this news (well, news to me) from this weeks announcement
http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/Sinar-gib...rueckteil-offen (german)

Sinar is opening the P3 and ArTec to the other missing mounts.
No, no, I'm not working for Sinar;-)

Tom-

Martin,

Any chance Sinar's next step will be to interface with Schneider electronic shutters

instead of strictly Linos optics in CMV shutters?

Edit:  I'd even want power to be supplied to Schneider electronic shutter in an elegant way.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:54:23 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

MartinWidmann

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2010, 03:10:36 am »

Perhaps Martin Widmann can clarify whether Sinar is committed to some special customer service protocol that is better than others.  That would invite no insinuation or suspicion.
I am not involved in the service but have seen every now and then customers coming here, bringing in their equipment and sometimes waiting for the repair. I think the main idea is that we do what we can do to satisfy the customer.

Martin
Martin Widmann
Employed by Sinar Photography AG / Switzerland, however the opinions I express are my own.

MartinWidmann

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2010, 03:17:19 am »

Quote from: BJNY
Any chance Sinar's next step will be to interface with Schneider electronic shutters instead of strictly Linos optics in CMV shutters?
There is a chance, but I cannot promise it for sure. And it won't be exactly the next step.

Martin
Martin Widmann

paratom

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2010, 05:24:38 am »

Geoffrey

Thierry allways made clear that he worked for Sinar. IMO can be of great help if people like him post on forums and answer questions. If the answer might be a little biased - who cares as long as we get good technical information.
Making people like him going away from the forum means loosing information. plain simple.

Personally I also posted to have good experience with Sinar because I made this experience.

I dont understand whats the problem if people do not only post problems but also good experiences. I wish this happened more often in todays world.

PdF

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2010, 07:04:53 am »

Geoffrey

Thierry is a very nice person who helped me for some problems. I thank him, and I regret that he is no more present.

He was the dealer for Sinar in Asia, and make no mystery about this !

Maybe have you some personal problems with him ?

PdF
PdF
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up