Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shutter Noise 20D  (Read 2366 times)

RobertJ

Shutter Noise 20D
« on: December 19, 2004, 11:03:17 pm »

I just ordered my 20D, so I'm curious as to how loud it will be...not that it's a problem for me.  I like loud shutters, they make me feel powerful - which is very very sad.

T-1000

RobertJ

Shutter Noise 20D
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 12:13:36 am »

Think about how loud some of the 35mm film bodies were from the film winding motors - we don't have to worry about those motors anymore, and I'm quite happy with both the 20D and the (quiet to me) shutter sound it makes.

T-1000

32BT

• Pictures
Shutter Noise 20D
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 02:48:32 pm »

1-series bodies have a personal function to reduce mirror noise (actually much louder than the shutter itself) at the expense of greater viewfinder blackout time.
Does that also reduce mirror vib, thus less need for mlu?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Little Jo

Shutter Noise 20D
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 04:39:32 pm »

I can't help feeling that the fuss being made about 20D shutter noise is a little unjustified.  I have an EOS 30 and an EOS 3, the shutter noise on the 20D lies between the two in terms of volume - true, it's noisier than the EOS 30, but it's better than the EOS 3 and its digital relatives.

Canon redesigned the shutter of the 20D in response to complaints of shutter failure in the 10D and it's predecessors.  The 20D needed a beefier shutter mechanism to cope with the higher shooting rate of digital photographers.  The resulting new mechanism is slightly noisier than before, but it's really not a problem.  If I have to choose between a durable mechanism or less noise, I'd choose durability every time.

Jo

dnone

• http://
Shutter Noise 20D
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 01:34:52 pm »

hi everybody,

I was wondering if anybody has experience with affecting the shutter noise of the 20D which -especially in theater or ballett venues - is and sounds quite loud?!

any ideas?

appreciate every suggestion!

dan

scubarob639

Shutter Noise 20D
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 08:15:43 pm »

I have a 22 cal. semi automatic. I just fire it a the same time I shoot a picture and I can't hear the shutter. Seriously, i wish canon could/would make a fix for this. It's pretty annoying! My 10D was much quieter.

Rob

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Shutter Noise 20D
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 02:01:30 pm »

The short answer is that the shutter noise is what it is, and the only solution is a sound-absorbing enclosure called a "blimp" which is rather expensive. 1-series bodies have a personal function to reduce mirror noise (actually much louder than the shutter itself) at the expense of greater viewfinder blackout time.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Shutter Noise 20D
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 05:50:52 pm »

Not really. The mirror flip-up time is unaffected (shutter lag is not changed) but the motor that cranks the mirror back down after exposure (the loudest part of the process) operates at reduced speed and noise level.
Pages: [1]   Go Up