Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Empire State Building  (Read 6823 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Empire State Building
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 03:22:38 pm »

Quote from: PhillyPhotographer
My response was not towards a critique. My response was to a set of "rules" period. There is no need for me to apologize.
Having been complimenting your way of breaking the "rules" in my previous post above, and being a fan of your work in general, allow me to disagree with your logic above. His critique equals listing a set of rules, hence you can not claim that your response was not toward a critique. Once you post something in public, you should be prepared for all kind of critique, including negative, which shall be then accepted with grace, even if you disagree (and especially when the majority of opinion is in your favor).  Calling one's opinion "antiquated" and "anal" is definitely not graceful, even if true.

Now, having said than, I do NOT think apology is in order. In my humble opinion, apologies are best reserved for unintentionally stepping on someones toes in, say, public transport...  expressing one's opinion should not require an apology (although how you phrase your opinion is going to speak more about you than about the subject of the debate).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:34:18 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Empire State Building
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 03:23:54 pm »

In answer to a Report this Post to a Moderator:

''But to impose "rules", that's the anal type of attitude that held photography back for a long time."

I do not see a personal attack - rather a critical description of a commonly-held mindset.
May I suggest a debate on that subject rather than raising the ante by demanding apologies and accusations of personal attacks?

If you can't stand the heat...

Chris S
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:54:55 pm by Chris Sanderson »

DarkPenguin

Empire State Building
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 03:26:03 pm »

Please show how you get this ...

Quote from: dmerger
PhillyPhotographer and DarkPenguin, are you saying that personal insults are perfectly acceptable?   Unbelievable!

...out of this ...

Quote from: DarkPenguin
To critique by tossing out a set of "rules" to a photographer as accomplished as Philly is pretty insulting in its own right.

PhillyPhotographer

Empire State Building
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 03:32:31 pm »

Quote from: dmerger
Contrary to your assertion, PhillyPhotographer, you response was to a person and was a personal attack. I can’t imagine where in civilized society, in reaction to a photo critique, it’s appropriate to tell someone that their “thinking is antiquated” and that they have an “anal type of attitude.”  

PhillyPhotographer and DarkPenguin, are you saying that personal insults are perfectly acceptable?   Unbelievable!

Again it wasn't at the critique and it wasn't a personal attack, it was an observation. Dick Roadnight understands what I'm saying and I understand what he's saying, you're the only one that seems to be offended so let it rest.

Ed Blagden

Empire State Building
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 03:37:21 pm »

Quote from: Slobodan Blagojevic
Calling one's opinion "antiquated" and "anal" is definitely not graceful, even if true.
Oh I don't know about that... those are high class, educated, fruity and mildly amusing insults, and as such should be admired.

One thing I have noticed on this forum is that the better photographers deliver the better insults.  

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Empire State Building
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 03:59:59 pm »

Well, if Dick's antiquated I'm probably antedeluvian  

I think my comment sprang from the fact that I clipped a church tower just a teensy bit too tight to the top of the frame a couple of weeks back. I couldn't stand the proportions of the damned thing, and so I ended up spending two and a half hours last night adding half an inch to the top of the print, cloning the sky back in, and re-building the top of one pinnacle. So if it isn't classically composed, it just jars with me.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

dmerger

Empire State Building
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 04:08:46 pm »

I don’t understand how stating that “your way of thinking is antiquated” is not a personal attack.  Also, I don’t understand how “anal type of attitude” does not refer to a person.  On the other hand, stating something like “the rules you posted are antiquated and such type of rules held back photography for a long time” would not be a personal attack.  

Okay, so I don’t understand how words like “thinking” and “anal attitude” don’t refer to a person, but I’ve been overruled.  End of story.
Dean Erger

Dick Roadnight

Empire State Building
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 05:15:00 pm »

Quote from: PhillyPhotographer
Again it wasn't at the critique and it wasn't a personal attack, it was an observation. Dick Roadnight understands what I'm saying and I understand what he's saying, you're the only one that seems to be offended so let it rest.
I did not want to waste space on the forum discussing it, but...

It obviously was a personal attack, and I was offended, and I am not happy to let it rest without an apology... but it seems that you have not got what it takes...

PS I am going to be away from my computer for about a week from tomorrow.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

wthomphoto

• http://
Empire State Building
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 05:24:44 pm »

Moderator's Note: This comment was not consistent with our guidelines and has been removed.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 05:27:19 pm by Chris Sanderson »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up