Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beach polo  (Read 1202 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Beach polo
« on: May 24, 2010, 04:49:09 pm »

I've never been to a polo match, and this one was rare in itself: beach polo!

The tranquil beach resort town of Knokke-Heist in northern Belgium hosts numerous events during the summer, and I visited it last weekend. Got some strange looks strolling to the warm beach in full motorcycle leather gear  Burned myself a bit after stripping to t-shirt, but got some nice pictures.

I don't do much action photography, and even less sports, so I'm looking for general commentary as well as which ones you think is/are the strongest photo(s).

Canon 550D, Canon 135mm f/2L @ 1/4000sec and f/2.0 to f/2.5

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Beach polo
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 05:01:54 pm »

Lovely narrow depth of field! My favorite is #2, for its dynamic diagonal composition, fast movement and tight cropping. The content is reduced to a minimum: two players, properly separated, contact with be ball, spectators in the background.

popnfresh

Beach polo
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 01:06:56 pm »

You have a good eye for action shots and I also how like the shallow depth of field isolates the foreground players. However, the high sun angle really diminishes the overall impact of these shots. In order to compensate for that you would have had to expose for the shadowed faces, which would have overexposed the rest. It was a no-win situation. The only way around that, short of having brought powerful strobes or huge light reflectors with you, would have been to shoot in early morning or late afternoon.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 01:07:59 pm by popnfresh »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Beach polo
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:40:48 pm »

Thanks for the comments! It's not so much about eye, more about shooting enough frames to get a few keepers. Then again, I'm pretty sure that's how pro sports photographers work as well  

Quote from: popnfresh
You have a good eye for action shots and I also how like the shallow depth of field isolates the foreground players. However, the high sun angle really diminishes the overall impact of these shots. In order to compensate for that you would have had to expose for the shadowed faces, which would have overexposed the rest. It was a no-win situation. The only way around that, short of having brought powerful strobes or huge light reflectors with you, would have been to shoot in early morning or late afternoon.

Yes, that was the second thing I noticed in dismay - first was the non-descript beach resort background which I tried to de-emphasize with tight framing, wide aperture and shooting towards the sea when possible.

The final shots you see have various levels of fill light applied to bring out the players' faces. The other option would have been to expose for the faces and let the higlights blow out, which in retrospect might have been at least worth trying. Strobes and reflectors are not really an option for obvious reasons, and the matches were all during the afternoon.

Was quite well the effort, though, and I might visit some other matches to get some more mileage on the 135mm. Need to bring sunscreen next time
Pages: [1]   Go Up