Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro9500 II  (Read 2624 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Canon Pro9500 II
« on: May 07, 2010, 09:12:09 pm »

I recently replaced my very old Epson 2200 printer with the Canon Pro9500 II. Though my iPF6100 does most of the "heavy lifting" (while my Epson 4000 basically gathers dust), I found the occasional need to print on smaller papers than Letter (such as the Museo Artist cards). I have to say, the driver interface is a bit clunky, and it's a little frustrating at times because any "Fine Art Paper" requires ridiculously huge margins, so you have to fool it by telling it you are printing Photo Matte Paper.  All that said, I discovered a very neat little program on Canon's web site. If you own almost any kind of spectrophotometer, you can create a custom paper profile with a nice streamlined profile utility for the 9500. Though I own i1, it's a little quicker producing profiles with the Canon utility. In my case, I hated the canned profile for the Art Card paper from Museo, so I quickly created my own. It was really quite good and, considering my prints were to be B&W, very neutral (which was always the bane of my existence with Epson).

Now, if only they'd create a similar utility for the 6100.

Nemo

jimby

Canon Pro9500 II
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 09:20:31 pm »

Quote from: nemophoto
I recently replaced my very old Epson 2200 printer with the Canon Pro9500 II. Though my iPF6100 does most of the "heavy lifting" (while my Epson 4000 basically gathers dust), I found the occasional need to print on smaller papers than Letter (such as the Museo Artist cards). I have to say, the driver interface is a bit clunky, and it's a little frustrating at times because any "Fine Art Paper" requires ridiculously huge margins, so you have to fool it by telling it you are printing Photo Matte Paper.  All that said, I discovered a very neat little program on Canon's web site. If you own almost any kind of spectrophotometer, you can create a custom paper profile with a nice streamlined profile utility for the 9500. Though I own i1, it's a little quicker producing profiles with the Canon utility. In my case, I hated the canned profile for the Art Card paper from Museo, so I quickly created my own. It was really quite good and, considering my prints were to be B&W, very neutral (which was always the bane of my existence with Epson).

Now, if only they'd create a similar utility for the 6100.

Nemo

If you use the paper manufacturer's profiles instead of the built-in Canon profiles, the margin issues go away.  For example, download the Hahnemuhle Museum Etching profile directly from Hahnemuhle and use that when you print instead of the Canon Fine Art "Museum Etching" built-in profile.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Canon Pro9500 II
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:47:54 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. I spoke with Canon's Tech Support and they were the ones who said that certain profiles wouldn't allow larger margins and that the only one that does is the Photo Matte Paper. Companies like Hahnemuhle are probably using that as their base setting to create their own profiles. (That's at least what Museo did to create their profile for the cards.) I'll look into the other companies and see how their profiles look.

Quote from: jimby
If you use the paper manufacturer's profiles instead of the built-in Canon profiles, the margin issues go away.  For example, download the Hahnemuhle Museum Etching profile directly from Hahnemuhle and use that when you print instead of the Canon Fine Art "Museum Etching" built-in profile.

Deepsouth

Canon Pro9500 II
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:35:34 pm »

Quote from: jimby

They do? I don't think so. The profile has no effect on the media type setting in the dialog box. If you select any fine art paper setting, you get the 35 mm margin issue. I have tried this on my 9500 MK I and I wish it did work. Setting media type to anything but FAP will let you print full size, and that's the only work- around I know of. The Mk II may allow this, but AFAIK the driver is essentially the same, with a few refresher tweaks to allow a new model designation.

probep

Canon Pro9500 II
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 01:48:54 pm »

Deepsouth is absolutely right. Moreover only with "Fine Art" media type setting you can get deepest black and widest gamut for Hahnemuhle Museum Etching paper. I've tested that while profiling my Pro9500.
Pages: [1]   Go Up