Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I nuts?  (Read 3930 times)

MatthewCromer

Am I nuts?
« on: May 08, 2010, 06:24:13 pm »

I've started shooting a lot of my landscapes handheld, now that I am using an Alpha (Sony) camera with built-in image stabilization.  Especially since switching to the Alpha 550 which can shoot at ISO 800 with few IQ compromises and has a very soft mirror action. . .

Anyway, after switching to shooting more handheld images of the last couple years, I decided to take some panoramas handheld (single row).  And what do you know, it actually works just fine!  During my recent trip to the Smokies I took three handheld pano series and one on a tripod.  Wouldn't you know it!  The only spoiled (camera shake) frame was taken on the tripod (with remote release!)  Fortunately I overlap extensively so was able to use the two "neighbors" and blend them together without the bad frame. . .

Moral of the story?  None in particular.  But I must say I am greatly enjoying the freedom to shoot more of my landscapes handheld without all the fuss and time consumption of getting out the tripod every time. . .

Now I fully admit that when my shutter speed dips below 1/40 or so I will use the 'pod.  But it's nice to do without it when I can.

Paul Sumi

Am I nuts?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 08:27:47 pm »

Quote from: MatthewCromer
Moral of the story?  None in particular.  But I must say I am greatly enjoying the freedom to shoot more of my landscapes handheld without all the fuss and time consumption of getting out the tripod every time. . .

Just curious how your horizon lines are, because I need a tripod and bubble level to make sure mine are level!    

Paul

Peter McLennan

Am I nuts?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 11:12:26 pm »

I shoot handheld stitches all the time.  With long lenses, you need to be very careful with your horizons and overlaps, but it's totally doable thanks to the wonderful stitchers now available.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Am I nuts?
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 05:33:40 am »

Quote from: Paul Sumi
Just curious how your horizon lines are, because I need a tripod and bubble level to make sure mine are level!  

Current stitching software doesn't require level horizons.

Paul Sumi

Am I nuts?
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 10:05:09 am »

Quote from: feppe
Current stitching software doesn't require level horizons.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was referring to single-frame shots.

Paul

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Am I nuts?
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 07:21:30 pm »

Hand helds works fine pretty often, but not always.

Typically those images focusing on capturing a distant landscape with a longish lens are excellent candidates for handheld. The one slight problem is that it is often difficult to keep the camera level between frames which reduces a bit the usable resolution. I have had great results with 2 row hand held, one of which will be exhibited pretty soon in Tokyo along with others shot from tripod. On a 1 meter wide smallish print there is no telling them apart.

The a900 is indeed clearly the best camera out there for such applications thanks to its stabilized sensor.

Things get a bit harder with images involving more foreground and it becomes needed to know roughly what point to rotate around. A monopod with a RRS special head and pano rail makes a big difference in these cases.

Cheers,
Bernard

MatthewCromer

Am I nuts?
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 12:51:43 am »

Paul

That's what the crop tool / rotation is for. . .    

MatthewCromer

Am I nuts?
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 12:53:39 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Hand helds works fine pretty often, but not always.

Typically those images focusing on capturing a distant landscape with a longish lens are excellent candidates for handheld. The one slight problem is that it is often difficult to keep the camera level between frames which reduces a bit the usable resolution. I have had great results with 2 row hand held, one of which will be exhibited pretty soon in Tokyo along with others shot from tripod. On a 1 meter wide smallish print there is no telling them apart.

The a900 is indeed clearly the best camera out there for such applications thanks to its stabilized sensor.

Things get a bit harder with images involving more foreground and it becomes needed to know roughly what point to rotate around. A monopod with a RRS special head and pano rail makes a big difference in these cases.

Cheers,
Bernard

Wow Bernard, I was expecting to get crucified by you in this thread.  Now it turns out you've committed the same crime!

MarkL

Am I nuts?
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 08:05:08 am »

Shortly after I started stitching I went on a skiing trip and took my dslr but no way was I going to carry a tripod.

I stitched handheld and to my surprise there were no problems at all! I was very pleased I could shoot very high quality landscape pictures during my skiing off piste. The only issue occurs when there are horizons involved, getting a wavy horizon is a distinct possibility shooting handheld (or without a levelled tripod for that matter). Even though I change my focus points during multi-row stitches (which CS4 deals with with no issues) if I have to dof stack any of the frames it’s very hard to get the two shots framed exactly the same.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Am I nuts?
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 06:35:19 am »

Wow Bernard, I was expecting to get crucified by you in this thread.  Now it turns out you've committed the same crime!

It must make me a spherical sinner?  

Cheers,
Bernard

Paul Sumi

Am I nuts?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 09:46:27 am »

That's what the crop tool / rotation is for. . .    

I prefer to "get it right" in the camera.  I'm not one of those "oh, we'll fix it in Photoshop" types.    

Regards,

Paul
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:50:27 am by Paul Sumi »

DarkPenguin

Am I nuts?
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 10:32:50 am »

I prefer to "get it right" in the camera.  I'm not one of those "oh, we'll fix it in Photoshop" types.    

Regards,

Paul

How do you achieve your panoramas in the camera?

Paul Sumi

Am I nuts?
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 11:25:45 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
How do you achieve your panoramas in the camera?

Oh, I stitch panos in software, the same as everyone else.  But that's not "fixing it in Photoshop," that's doing exactly what was intended.    

To me "getting it right in the camera" means using proper camera technique so I don't have to fix sloppy, avoidable mistakes in post.

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up