Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The new Canon x300 Media Configuration Tool  (Read 1111 times)

shewhorn

• http://
The new Canon x300 Media Configuration Tool
« on: May 02, 2010, 09:24:08 pm »

Can anyone suggest perhaps a more scientific way (or a better test file to use) for determining the maximum ink usage when building a custom media type? It would be nice if it had some RIP like technology built in where I could take some objective measurements with a spectro.... but it doesn't.

In using the little test chart that the MCT prints out I'm wondering if I'm going crazy. So far with every gloss or semi-gloss paper I've created a custom media type for (Innova FibraPrint Ultra Smooth Gloss, Canon Polished Rag, Crane Museo Silver Rag, and Epson Exhibition Fiber) I always seem to be setting the max usage to lowest. With the gloss/semi-gloss papers at the higher ink settings I see some pooling on the higher settings on the Granger Chart. I got the stereo magnifying glasses, looked at the prints under sunlight, under a 4700ºK Solux bulb, blah blah blah and I can't see any appreciable difference between the lowest setting and the hire settings. If anything the lower ink settings appear to be a little more precise as there isn't as much ink bleed when printing fine lines.

What I'm trying to avoid is printing out targets with different ink usages, building an ICC profile, and then printing some test images. There has got to be a better way to do this! Any suggestions (or anyone care to say "yeah, I've found the lowest ink settings to be adequate... you're not blind after all" ).

Cheers, Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up