Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Quality Compact  (Read 22244 times)

archivue

Quality Compact
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 05:34:51 am »

Im' facing the same dilemma... The GF1 doesn't fits in my pocket... a Panasonic Lumix LX-3 or Leica D-Lux 4 or even a S90 fit !

If it doesn't fit in my pocket, then i can go with my Canon 5DII and a voigländer Ultron 40... (i know, it's not a zoom...).

The LX-3 isn't any more available from a lot of shops... maybe an LX-4 or D-lux5 are on the way !

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 05:38:29 am by archivue »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Quality Compact
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 01:40:24 pm »

Quote from: babakBoghraty
Doug

I understood that the 28-35-50 M9 lens is no longer available.  Could you clarify your post please.

Babak

There is no such thing as "no longer available". But it is true that it's no longer made new.

One can still find this lens in rental or in used inventory.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 01:46:43 pm by dougpetersonci »

fredjeang

Quality Compact
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2010, 01:52:49 pm »

Quote from: archivue
Im' facing the same dilemma... The GF1 doesn't fits in my pocket... a Panasonic Lumix LX-3 or Leica D-Lux 4 or even a S90 fit !

If it doesn't fit in my pocket, then i can go with my Canon 5DII and a voigländer Ultron 40... (i know, it's not a zoom...).

The LX-3 isn't any more available from a lot of shops... maybe an LX-4 or D-lux5 are on the way !
That's exactly my thoughts.

First I was tempted by the GF1.
If I could get a M9, a gf1 would be nothing but a backup.

But then it does not fit in my pocket, and as I will get the EVF for sure, I realised that the size of the camera is more or less the size of a little dslr with pancake...I had the pentaxes primes from film age, so get the smallest pentax possible: the KX. Do not regret the choice at all. At least, I can use a decent viewfinder for about the same size of a mft with EVF. IQ is a step better, specially in low-light.

The GF1 makes sense IMO if you already have a Leica. (as backup).

The Canon 90 seems not bad as a true pocket camera, like the ring idea.

fredjeang

Quality Compact
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2010, 02:46:03 pm »

Quote from: KLaban
The size of your pocket has priority? Your pocket doesn't make images; choose the better camera, not the better pocket. Try buying trousers - that'll be pants if you live in the USA - with bigger pockets.
I think it makes sense some cases. If I follow your idea, then the choice is clear: Leica M9. Best possible IQ in a smallest possible format.
GF1 as backup with big pants and S90 as pocket camera.

fredjeang

Quality Compact
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2010, 02:06:48 pm »

Quote from: eronald
I think the S90 could be really nice for us, if the controls were done properly; the compacts don't seem to get the design quality of the SLRs and this is what hurts them most. File quality is actually decent on the S90.

Edmund
Edmund, I've been looking reacently for the S90 as a pocket camera. Would you recommend it?
Thought the wheel was well implemented but you seems to notice some issues in terms of design.

Thanks.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Quality Compact
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2010, 07:37:41 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Edmund, I've been looking reacently for the S90 as a pocket camera. Would you recommend it?
Thought the wheel was well implemented but you seems to notice some issues in terms of design.

Thanks.

Yes, this camera is good quality-wise. The one thing which it doesn't do well though is close-up macros, at least at first attempt for me. Also this camera doesn't have a long zoom reach.
I went to a store and photographed newspapers on the floor with various compacts. When I hit the S90, the images were sharp, so I bought it.
Basically this thing has the same quality as my first Nikon D1x dSLR.

The back wheel needs braking by some sticky tape or else it will move and ruin your shots.

You really need patience or a japanese upbringing to figure out which control is buried where. As an example, if the camera is in its default program mode, the menu items which allow you to switch on Raw are disabled.

Actually I do own an M8, but this is not a compact; by modern standards it is a slow camera which needs to be used carefully and gives superb results. You won't make fast tele shots at F4 with an M8.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

fredjeang

Quality Compact
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2010, 08:37:26 pm »

Yes, this camera is good quality-wise. The one thing which it doesn't do well though is close-up macros, at least at first attempt for me. Also this camera doesn't have a long zoom reach.
I went to a store and photographed newspapers on the floor with various compacts. When I hit the S90, the images were sharp, so I bought it.
Basically this thing has the same quality as my first Nikon D1x dSLR.

The back wheel needs braking by some sticky tape or else it will move and ruin your shots.

You really need patience or a japanese upbringing to figure out which control is buried where. As an example, if the camera is in its default program mode, the menu items which allow you to switch on Raw are disabled.

Actually I do own an M8, but this is not a compact; by modern standards it is a slow camera which needs to be used carefully and gives superb results. You won't make fast tele shots at F4 with an M8.

Edmund
Thanks very much for these usefull infos Edmund.

M8? Happy owner! Love the M series. That is what Leica knows best.

Regards.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Quality Compact
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2010, 11:47:06 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
Don't take this wrong. This is to no one in particular. Every time I pick up one of these tiny little cameras, they seem cool in the beginning, but then you go to actually use them, and the controls are very hard to master, (way too many), and the viewfinder experience is beyond horrible. In short, has anyone on the planet ever shot a memorable photograph with one of these cameras? Or are they relegated to simply grip and grin snapshots, or drunk party shots? The shutter delay on this little location-scouting camera that I have is horrid; i think it's called a Fuji f100 or something. Great quality files, but the experience of actually making a photograph is so bad.

Can anyone speak to this? I'd love a great small pocket camera, but the ones people rave about, I just never seem to ever connect with. Thoughts?
Some of the most popular shots in my A3 print portfolio were taken some years back with a 2.1MP Ixus II, I have had a variety of small cameras and regularly get great shots with them. Ones I would have missed with a larger less handy camera, in fact many the time I've used a pocket camera despite having a larger camera in my backpack as they are so nice and easy to use.
I currently have a Ricoh GX200 which has some really nice ergonomics and ideas that I miss on other cameras. Small sensors aren't the best quality, but that's not always the most important thing. I like the quality the Ricoh camera produces for street shots. Fooled some pro-film types on here a while back who thought images from this camera were film and ironically used them to say how you couldn't do such shots digitally.  
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

Quality Compact
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2010, 11:51:43 pm »

I just got an S90. It is basically a G11, in a tiny tiny case, with a smaller battery and less (too few, really too few) buttons and a mess of a scroll wheel.
Odd comment as that's the feature that many people are very enthusiastic about about with regard to this camera. A friend sold his 450D and bought one of these instead and loves it. Transformed his photography too - for the better.

jjj

Quality Compact
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2010, 12:06:54 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
Serious Compacts. Isn't that like Military Intelligence?
No.
You seem to not get compact cameras. They are much better than larger cameras in some situations, just like large cameras are better in other circumstances.
Besides it's the photographer that is 'serious', not the cameras!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 12:08:25 am by jjj »

jjj

Quality Compact
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2010, 12:11:21 am »

Quote from: fredjeang
Our eyes are educated now but the day we're in front of an old print,  feel that something's wrong, it's just human. It vibrates. Digital does not. It's precise, unforgiving but it just does not have this organic aspect.
Depends how you use it!

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Quality Compact
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2010, 01:15:28 am »

Yes, I have had more than a few under-exposed shots because the back wheel had rotated, applying an exposure correction...

Don't know if it is a design issue or a quality control one, but the result is annoying for sure.

Other than that it is a very nice camera.

Cheers,
Bernard

fredjeang

Quality Compact
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2010, 08:00:27 am »

Quote from: jjj
Some of the most popular shots in my A3 print portfolio were taken some years back with a 2.1MP Ixus II, I have had a variety of small cameras and regularly get great shots with them. Ones I would have missed with a larger less handy camera, in fact many the time I've used a pocket camera despite having a larger camera in my backpack as they are so nice and easy to use.
I currently have a Ricoh GX200 which has some really nice ergonomics and ideas that I miss on other cameras. Small sensors aren't the best quality, but that's not always the most important thing. I like the quality the Ricoh camera produces for street shots. Fooled some pro-film types on here a while back who thought images from this camera were film and ironically used them to say how you couldn't do such shots digitally.
Love the man with the cigarette!
Well, yes, Ricoh to me has something special: they know how to make good design for photographers.
Always loved their german style interface implementation. The GRX, despite exotic, would be a great choice, but I'm looking now for something smaller.
Considering the S90 and the GX200 is also high on my list.

fredjeang

Quality Compact
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2010, 08:02:18 am »

Depends how you use it!
Yes, you are right. It's possible to acheive. Should have written :"...does not have naturally this organic aspect".
But it's possible to overcome this fact with digital.
Agree.

jimgolden

• http://
Quality Compact
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2010, 03:14:25 pm »

always G9, then 5D2w/50 1.4 or Fuji GA645zi depending

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Quality Compact
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2010, 11:16:22 pm »

Quote from: KLaban
The size of your pocket has priority? Your pocket doesn't make images; choose the better camera, not the better pocket. Try buying trousers - that'll be pants if you live in the USA - with bigger pockets.

I guess that the question is when are such cameras used.

As far as I am concerned I'll always bring my D3x is I intend to take pictures that day.

The compact camera is used only in these occasions where I am somewhere without an intention to take pictures, but an opportunity shows up that I want to capture. Compactness is key because without it I won't even bring the camera in the first place.

Those considering a M9 are probably thinking about different applications, there is no way I would want an M9 in my bag at all times because of its significant weight, anything but compact size and hefty price. This is what drove me towards the S90.

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Quality Compact
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2010, 03:49:40 pm »

Odd comment as that's the feature that many people are very enthusiastic about about with regard to this camera. A friend sold his 450D and bought one of these instead and loves it. Transformed his photography too - for the better.

I was trying to say that the S90 is very, very good, in a tiny case, but it has some ergonomic issues, which can partly be cured by liberal use of gaffer tape

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

zlatko-b

• http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
Quality Compact
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2010, 01:26:54 am »

I was trying to say that the S90 is very, very good, in a tiny case, but it has some ergonomic issues, which can partly be cured by liberal use of gaffer tape
Yes, that rear wheel is much too loose on the S90.  It feels as if it will move all of the time at the slightest touch, frequently messing up the settings.  Such a nice little camera otherwise.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
Quality Compact
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2010, 09:24:28 am »

We will try a used Panasonic G1 body with the 20mm/f1.7 Panasonic Pancake. Not a real compact, but at least with a somewhat decent (electronic) viewfinder. And the G1 will be also the startup camera for my daughter.

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
Quality Compact
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2010, 10:17:22 am »

Hmmmm, sounds very familiar.  I have the Canon G10 with built in zoom and seldom use it.  I will take my IR modified Canon with my 35 1.4 prime or my M9 with the 35 f2 Summicron.  Eleanor

Quote from: KevinA
I thought I wanted a compact to, the idea is appealing a camera with you all the time. I got a Richo with an electronic viewfinder and lots of manual controls. I never use it, to small and fiddley  to make it enjoyable. I would rather take my Canon with just the 35mm f1.4, I find it easier, quicker, more predictable, more versatile and cropped still better than the zoomed pocket camera results. I would rather have a M9 with one lens than a P&S with a zoom.

Kevin.
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up