Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Lightroom Niggles  (Read 1983 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Little Lightroom Niggles
« on: April 21, 2010, 05:25:42 am »

Generally speaking, I absolutely love Lightroom. As far as I am concerned, it is the Bee’s Knee’s. However (and there always is a “but”, isn’t there) there are just a few teensy-weensy snagettes which are not enough to totally spoil things but irritating nonetheless. So I will mention them here just in case some genius has a fix, or perhaps it is my own lack of expertise which is causing the problem. I am running LR 2.6 on an XP PC, by the way.

• I build my catalogue by adding folders from my HD. But LR does not seem to remember the path to my image folders from one session to the next, like any other editor does. So I have to navigate all the way down the tree again each time I do this.

• When in the develop module and editing a picture, LR keeps switching my color noise reduction off. If I set it to 30, say, a snapshot or two later, it has set itself to zero. Very odd. So I have to check NR as the very last step before I print, otherwise it has gone.

• One can apply an overlay to a print using the Identity Plate. I am using this to put a subject caption on some prints, but there seems no way of getting it to print to a consistent point size. Even if one applies a consistent scaling (say 20%) the size of the lettering varies according to the length of the text.

• In the print module, you can display the image size in a little box at top left of the picture. But even though I have chosen inches as my unit of measure in Layout, the little box defaults to centimetres. I have to reset the units from inches to metric and back each time I go to my templates in order for it to work.

Any advice would be most welcome.

John
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:36:12 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Little Lightroom Niggles
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 09:00:26 am »

Quote from: John R Smith
• I build my catalogue by adding folders from my HD. But LR does not seem to remember the path to my image folders from one session to the next, like any other editor does. So I have to navigate all the way down the tree again each time I do this.
Workaround 1 : right-click on the parent folder containing the folders to import in LR's library and choose "sync folder" then "import new photos". Lets you skip the import dialog if you really wish.
Alternatively, drag the folder from OS' finder/explorer into library's main space.

Sorry I ain't got more to say about your other issues, that seem like bugs and could deserve an 'official' Adobe bug report (other than commenting that LR's adopts international standards for measurement units well   ).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:01:14 am by NikoJorj »
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Jon Meddings

Little Lightroom Niggles
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 10:00:54 am »

Quote from: John R Smith
Generally speaking, I absolutely love Lightroom. As far as I am concerned, it is the Bee’s Knee’s. However (and there always is a “but”, isn’t there) there are just a few teensy-weensy snagettes which are not enough to totally spoil things but irritating nonetheless. So I will mention them here just in case some genius has a fix, or perhaps it is my own lack of expertise which is causing the problem. I am running LR 2.6 on an XP PC, by the way.

John

John, I agree with Niko regarding your first point.  I used to have the same issue as you but now use the sync function rather than import.  I add my images from my card to directory based on the date of the shoot i.e. \Images\2010\04\01  In this example if I then add a new directory \Images\2010\04\02 then all I do is the following:

- in the library module select folders. Scroll down to 2010\04 and then right mouse click on that folder. Select synchronize and LR will find the new images added and add them and their directory appropriately.  Works like a charm for me.

john2

Little Lightroom Niggles
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 01:59:23 pm »

" When in the develop module and editing a picture, LR keeps switching my color noise reduction off. If I set it to 30, say, a snapshot or two later, it has set itself to zero. Very odd. So I have to check NR as the very last step before I print, otherwise it has gone"

Lightroom works on one photograph at a time. The changes that you make to a single photograph are restricted to that photograph. If you want to synchronise settings, use the Sync Settings button in the library view.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Little Lightroom Niggles
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 03:57:26 pm »

Quote from: john2
" When in the develop module and editing a picture, LR keeps switching my color noise reduction off. If I set it to 30, say, a snapshot or two later, it has set itself to zero. Very odd. So I have to check NR as the very last step before I print, otherwise it has gone"

Lightroom works on one photograph at a time. The changes that you make to a single photograph are restricted to that photograph. If you want to synchronise settings, use the Sync Settings button in the library view.

No, this is on a single photo. It has just done it to me again now. I created a snapshot with NR set to 32, went back to the previous snapshot to check the result of my edits, and then selected the most recent snapshot again. Lo and behold, NR set to zero. Just wierd. Especially as it should default to 25.

John
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:58:18 pm by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an
Pages: [1]   Go Up