Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Alpha 850/900  (Read 10035 times)

BobDavid

Sony Alpha 850/900
« on: April 13, 2010, 10:01:12 am »

I'm thinking about migrating from Canon to Sony FF, either an 850 or a 900.  I'll be using the camera with strobes in a studio environmnet at ISO 100 to 200. My reasoning for moving into the Sony line is that it's got the best dynamic range of any 35mm system. The CZ 24-70 f/2.8 is supposed to be  a good performer too.

Anybody out there using a Sony FF in the studio? If so, what do you think?

PLLove

Sony Alpha 850/900
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 01:48:02 pm »

Quote from: BobDavid
I'm thinking about migrating from Canon to Sony FF, either an 850 or a 900.  I'll be using the camera with strobes in a studio environmnet at ISO 100 to 200. My reasoning for moving into the Sony line is that it's got the best dynamic range of any 35mm system. The CZ 24-70 f/2.8 is supposed to be  a good performer too.

I use the A900 in the studio and LOVE it!!  I only use the 24-70 CZ and 135 CZ.  The 135mm is incredible and is very much like my medium format equipment in terms of rendering an almost 3D-like effect because of the micro-contrast and colors.  I am considering the 16-35mm for travels (land and cityscapes)

Don't get me wrong, the Canon/Nikon FF systems are great, but the quality of the Sony files are awesome.  Coupled with the CZ glass, I don't think you would need anything else in the studio (strictly using ISO 100-200).

Check out my blog. It has some of my recent studio work with the Sony A900 system,

www.plovephotography.com  (click on blog)

-Pat

ziocan

Sony Alpha 850/900
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 02:09:43 am »

Quote from: PLLove
I use the A900 in the studio and LOVE it!!  I only use the 24-70 CZ and 135 CZ.  The 135mm is incredible and is very much like my medium format equipment in terms of rendering an almost 3D-like effect because of the micro-contrast and colors.  I am considering the 16-35mm for travels (land and cityscapes)

Don't get me wrong, the Canon/Nikon FF systems are great, but the quality of the Sony files are awesome.  Coupled with the CZ glass, I don't think you would need anything else in the studio (strictly using ISO 100-200).

Check out my blog. It has some of my recent studio work with the Sony A900 system,

-Pat
I second that.
I have been enthusiastic about the a900 quite a few times in this forum, to the point of sounding like a fanboy.
But it is what it is..... and the system it is just that good.

I shoot fashion for some of the leading magazines around the world. I also work in advertising and beauty.
I have been using the a900 for 90% of my work (a lot in studio) and I also have a Phase One system that it is now accumulating dust on the shelf.
Prior that, i have been using the canon 1ds 1 and 2 for about 5 years and was happy with them, but always wanting for something different and I believe that the a900 gave me that extra.

Anyway here follow some of the good and the bad:
Good: the lenses, all of them, even the Sony one are very good. For studio and fashion works Sony has everything covered. i cannot think of a lens that is missing.
One great advantage is being able to shoot stabilized with primes like 50, 85, 135, 20 100, which is not possible elsewhere.
One significant advantage it has over canon is Af reliability and capability of focussing precisely in the dark or under modeling light inside a softbox, without the need of pulling out an halogen or an arri. that was never possible with my canons. I normally get a 90/95% of captures that are in focus even when I do 2000 a day.
The camera is very reliable and have not made one single time an error or a glitch.
Colors and skin tones are very nice. Skin tone especially are richer than with C, which are quite muted IMO.
it writes to cards very fast and clear the buffer very quickly. large buffer, by the way.
the files generally hold very well in post productions, almost as a Phase file. not quite, but pretty close.
85mm and 135mm Zeiss, focus faster and 1 stop darker than the equivalent Canon's I had. their AF is nosier though, and I had to service the 85mm twice for a small problem, where with the canon in several years i never had to do a repair.
menus and navigation are pretty cool and very intuitive. vertical grip is great.
it can sync up to 1/4000 of a sec if you use a Sony dedicated flash to trigger strobes. some studio strobes were able to keep up with that speed.
there are a few tricks for concealing the hot shoe flash light and still trigger the remote flashes using pocket wizards.
It is cheap, I bought 2 for the price of one 1ds3. if you get the a850  you can get 3.

the bad:
shooting tethered it is a bit slow, unless I use the sony software. With sony soft, is as fast as direct tethering on C1 with a Canon, but the software is a sore to the eye and not practical.
therefore I use it with an hot folder on capture 1 (3 sec download per image) or lightroom (12 sec download). The advantage of LR3 is that process the files better, especially high iso.
it needs a small hot shoe adapter for radio slave. they are cheap, but I need of carrying 2 spares all the time.
it also has a very small USB port plug. it works fine as any other, but if you misplace the cable, are not likely to find it at the convenience store around the corner, unlike all the other USB cables.
it has more shutter lag than the 1ds. I got used to it and I do not pay attention anymore. for some can be annoying.

high iso files are not as noise free as Canon or Nikon, but with LR3 I have been able to use 1600/2000 iso files for fashion spreads on ELLE magazines, with barely visible grain. but the grain look very nice and if I shoot above 800 iso, is because i want grain, so for me is not a problem.
it is hard to find lenses for rental. I can rent a few lenses over the counter at Adorama in NY, but I think is the only place. there are other companies which ship the lenses to you and are cheap, though.

The camera is a bit ugly to look from the front....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 01:55:52 am by ziocan »

Dave Gurtcheff

Sony Alpha 850/900
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 06:09:41 pm »

Quote from: PLLove

-Pat
I don't do studio photography, my thing is seascapes, but another nice thing about the system, is the availablility of Minolta lenses. I purchased several used keepers very reasonably, my favoritw being the Minolta 20mm and 50mm f1.7. I also use the Zeiss 2470, and 1635. I also have a 1DSIII system that I have not used since purchasing the A900. The Sony 70-300 is a surprise; I am getting very very nice image quality. The Vintage old Minolta lenses benefit from image stabilization built into the body. I can recommend the A900 system without reservation.
Dave G in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

K.C.

Sony Alpha 850/900
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 12:53:11 am »

I have the A850 and prefer it over my 5DII any day of the week, in the studio or on location. As mentioned above the CZ 24~70 is a tremendous lens, there are many in the SONY lineup.

It's a sweet camera to use too. The controls and the layout are just so much better than Canon or Nikon.

adam z

Sony Alpha 850/900
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 03:27:48 am »

I just wish that Zeiss would make more of it's primes which are available for Canon, Pentax and Nikon available in the Sony mount. In particular the 21, 35, 50 1.4 and both the 50 and 100mm macros. If they all had AF like other sony Zeiss offerings that would seal the deal for me.

K.C.

Sony Alpha 850/900
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 04:18:21 am »

Maybe the last bulleted item in this press release (emphasis mine) will give you an indication of the direction SONY will take the DSLR line.

Sony is exhibiting an array of innovative digital imaging products at the Photo Marketing Association (PMA) 2010 International Convention, including a concept model of the new compact α (alpha) DSLR camera system that employs an Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor, which provides full AVCHD video capability.

ANAHEIM, CALIF.  (PMA #2220), Feb. 21, 2010 – Sony is exhibiting an array of innovative digital imaging products at the Photo Marketing Association (PMA) 2010 International Convention, including a concept model of the new compact α (alpha) DSLR camera system that employs an Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor, which provides full AVCHD video capability.

New concept α products being shown include an ultra compact model with interchangeable lenses, additions to the α family (including a successor to the α700), along with new TX5 and H55 Cyber-shot® cameras, new printers and other accessories.

α DSLR Camera

In addition to the current DSLR-A230, A330, A380, A500, A550, A850 and A900 digital SLR cameras, the following concept camera bodies and interchangeable lenses will be exhibited. Current interchange lenses, including Carl Zeiss® and G lens products will also be on display.

Concept model of an ultra-compact interchangeable lens digital camera system that packs the quality of a DSLR camera in an extraordinarily small body, along with interchangeable lenses
Mid-range concept camera for advanced users (a successor to the α700) as well as concept mainstream models
Prototype of a Super Telephoto Lens (500mm F4 G) with class-leading optical performance
Prototype of a Distagon T 24mm F2 ZA SSM, new Carl Zeiss wide angle lens for superior shots of landscapes and sweeping vistas

fredjeang

Sony Alpha 850/900
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 04:50:08 am »

What impress me really, is the constance among the A900/850 users.
I've never heard any user complaining about these, and most of them do not use their CaNikons any more after trying the Sonys,
and these post are showing the same fact.

So I guess the system is pretty solid and more importantly, gives 100% satisfaction to their users.
As it's relatively cheap, it might be the best bargain in current dslr today.

I've never been a Sony fan, but have to admit that I'm looking more and more seriously in their cameras.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:50:23 am by fredjeang »

douglasf13

Sony Alpha 850/900
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 06:09:34 pm »

I'll agree with just about everything being said.  One thing to keep in mind about the A900 is, ISO 100 is simply a 2/3 EV overexposure of ISO 160, so you really won't want to use it, unless you're shooting jpeg.  For maximum DR, stick to ISO 200 (or ISO 320, but that's an entirely different discussion.)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Sony Alpha 850/900
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 08:34:02 pm »

While I have no issues with the Sony cameras and think they are solid cameras that provide great results, I would question your stated reason regarding dynamic range, as I don't see the differences between Sony and others as significant enough to base a decision, especially in a studio environment where you have significant control of the dynamic range anyway.

douglasf13

Sony Alpha 850/900
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 01:32:51 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
While I have no issues with the Sony cameras and think they are solid cameras that provide great results, I would question your stated reason regarding dynamic range, as I don't see the differences between Sony and others as significant enough to base a decision, especially in a studio environment where you have significant control of the dynamic range anyway.

The D3x actually has the best DR in 35mm, right now.  The A900 does a much better job than the 5Dii in raising shadows, but the D3x is tops in that regard.  The Sony's advantage over other cameras is in color separation/hue resolution.

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
Sony Alpha 850/900
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:31:38 am »

I wish the hell Sony had tilt-shift lenses for the 850/900.   Anybody have a solution for that?
CMurph

BobDavid

Sony Alpha 850/900
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 12:00:29 pm »

I went ahead and purchased an A850 with the Zeiss 24-70mm zoom. I've been using it for about a month. Having used a Canon 5D for the past four years and a Hasselblad 39MS system for over two years, I can honestly say that the A850 is a fine tool.

It has its strengths and weaknesses like any other tool.

The RAW files are excellent. I find that it's a lot easier to massage the RAW Sony files than those from the Canon 5D and 1Ds III. There truly is something special about the way the Sony renders color, particularly greens. The dynamic range in the shadow areas is impressive. The Zeiss 24-70mm zoom is splendid -- contrast, sharpness, low distortion, and well-controlled CA. The biggest downside is noise. I knew this before purchasing the camera, so I've been able to work around it. The steady shot feature works well. The auto focus is a bit slow, but it is accurate.

I've made a few 16X20s and they are silky smooth and full of punch. They actually compare favorably to single-shot Hasselblad 39MP files.

ziocan

Sony Alpha 850/900
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 11:27:55 am »

I went ahead and purchased an A850 with the Zeiss 24-70mm zoom. I've been using it for about a month. Having used a Canon 5D for the past four years and a Hasselblad 39MS system for over two years, I can honestly say that the A850 is a fine tool.

It has its strengths and weaknesses like any other tool.

The RAW files are excellent. I find that it's a lot easier to massage the RAW Sony files than those from the Canon 5D and 1Ds III. There truly is something special about the way the Sony renders color, particularly greens. The dynamic range in the shadow areas is impressive. The Zeiss 24-70mm zoom is splendid -- contrast, sharpness, low distortion, and well-controlled CA. The biggest downside is noise. I knew this before purchasing the camera, so I've been able to work around it. The steady shot feature works well. The auto focus is a bit slow, but it is accurate.

I've made a few 16X20s and they are silky smooth and full of punch. They actually compare favorably to single-shot Hasselblad 39MP files.
I'm processing a900 files with Lightroom 3, and I'm satisfied with the noise up to 1600/2000.

I had published spreads on european fashion magazines with images shot at 1600 and the noise (converted with LR3) is not visible on print.
I had full pages shot at 2000is and 3200iso and after a touch of noise ninja the grain is not visible either.
Even at that iso speeds and CMYK printing, the images keep their "pop" typical of Sony/Minolta and Zeiss lenses.

jtorral

• http://www.zeissimages.com
Sony Alpha 850/900
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 11:59:46 am »

I love my 850 and rarely remove the 135. As mentioned above, the ZA 135 is incridble.  Here are some sample

http://zeissimages.com/showgallery.php?lenstype=326  You can also search for specific lens samples if you like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up