Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rather Less Anguish About Focus  (Read 1947 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Rather Less Anguish About Focus
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:24:18 am »

Just a little follow up to the original topic. The key to this problem for me was the comment made by someone, I can’t remember who now, who said words to the effect that my focus and depth of field was just the same as it had ever been with film, the reason for my anguish was that I was looking at it differently with digital and could now see the horrible truth for the first time. This actually made a great deal of sense to me, although it didn’t do much for my ego or self-esteem.

Nothing daunted, I went back out there into the Cornish wilds, determined to do better. For the last two weeks I have spent every possible hour of spare time taking shots and honing my technique. This has encompassed a variety of subjects (landscape, churches, boats), all shot hand-held (yes I know this is self-defeating but there are good reasons why I don’t use a tripod much other than for my still-life and plant pictures). And, amazingly, this period of iron discipline and self-flagellation seems to have done some good. Whereas at the time I posted the original “Anguish” thread I was getting 40-50% of my shots in focus at best, I went out yesterday for the afternoon and 80% of my frames were focussed spot-on, with good depth of field and no discernible camera shake. The best ones were actually stunning. So what made the difference? Well, I am gradually making up a set of new rules for myself, along these lines -

• Never, ever, use a shutter speed slower than the reciprocal of the focal length. I thought I could shoot handheld at 1/60s with my 80mm - well I was wrong. Just once in a while, I might get away with it.

• Really, really think about exactly where the point of focus should be. My old film sloppiness simply won’t do. In general, pre-visualise which lighter-toned object in the foreground will draw attention to itself, and make sure that you have some focus on that at least as the forward point.

• Remember the rule that there is always more depth of field behind the point of focus than in front of it (about 2/3 to 1/3 ratio, roughly). So pre-visualise the crucial plane of focus in terms of this distribution.

• Use the viewfinder with the highest possible magnification for the ground glass screen. In the case of the Hasselblad 500, this is the WLF magnifier which is 4x. The prisms and magnifying hood are all less powerful, except for the HC4 prism which is also 4x. I think that an 8x loupe would be better still, but so far I have not found one which will fit inside the WLF hood.

• Contrary to a lot of opinion, I have not found the screen with the split-prism and micro-prism surround to be very much help outdoors. It is great for still-life with close subjects, but when I have a church 60 feet away the increments on the split prism are just too slight. And that big round thing in the middle of the screen really spoils my composition. So I use a plain screen.

• Something which keeps catching me out is where I have a subject like a church gate, for example, and I focus on the left-hand gate pillar and make the shot, not noticing that the right-hand gate pillar is actually closer to me, albeit only by a foot. This now has to be part of the pre-shot assessment process, where before I simply used to rely on film DOF to take care of these minor indiscretions.

• Rather than simply focussing on my subject in the centre of the frame and then shooting, as I used to do, I now carefully scan the foreground, the corners, and every inch of the main subject for focus, before re-composing the shot and actuating the shutter. And if I move position at all, even by a foot or two, I force myself to re-focus again.

Now all of this must seem like perfectly obvious beginner stuff to you chaps, of course, but you know over the years I think I have just got sloppy. And shooting a lot of stuff for work with DSLRs where you don’t really even have to think about focus much doesn’t help, either. I’m finding out a lot I didn’t know before about these old Zeiss lenses, too, but that might be the subject for another post.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

byarvin

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:27:38 am »

Thank you for the reminder. It's all too easy to slip into laziness.

wthomphoto

• http://
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 12:58:53 pm »

Quote from: John R Smith
Just a little follow up to the original topic. The key to this problem for me was the comment made by someone, I can’t remember who now, who said words to the effect that my focus and depth of field was just the same as it had ever been with film, the reason for my anguish was that I was looking at it differently with digital and could now see the horrible truth for the first time. This actually made a great deal of sense to me, although it didn’t do much for my ego or self-esteem.

Nothing daunted, I went back out there into the Cornish wilds, determined to do better. For the last two weeks I have spent every possible hour of spare time taking shots and honing my technique. This has encompassed a variety of subjects (landscape, churches, boats), all shot hand-held (yes I know this is self-defeating but there are good reasons why I don’t use a tripod much other than for my still-life and plant pictures). And, amazingly, this period of iron discipline and self-flagellation seems to have done some good. Whereas at the time I posted the original “Anguish” thread I was getting 40-50% of my shots in focus at best, I went out yesterday for the afternoon and 80% of my frames were focussed spot-on, with good depth of field and no discernible camera shake. The best ones were actually stunning. So what made the difference? Well, I am gradually making up a set of new rules for myself, along these lines -

• Never, ever, use a shutter speed slower than the reciprocal of the focal length. I thought I could shoot handheld at 1/60s with my 80mm - well I was wrong. Just once in a while, I might get away with it.

• Really, really think about exactly where the point of focus should be. My old film sloppiness simply won’t do. In general, pre-visualise which lighter-toned object in the foreground will draw attention to itself, and make sure that you have some focus on that at least as the forward point.

• Remember the rule that there is always more depth of field behind the point of focus than in front of it (about 2/3 to 1/3 ratio, roughly). So pre-visualise the crucial plane of focus in terms of this distribution.

• Use the viewfinder with the highest possible magnification for the ground glass screen. In the case of the Hasselblad 500, this is the WLF magnifier which is 4x. The prisms and magnifying hood are all less powerful, except for the HC4 prism which is also 4x. I think that an 8x loupe would be better still, but so far I have not found one which will fit inside the WLF hood.

• Contrary to a lot of opinion, I have not found the screen with the split-prism and micro-prism surround to be very much help outdoors. It is great for still-life with close subjects, but when I have a church 60 feet away the increments on the split prism are just too slight. And that big round thing in the middle of the screen really spoils my composition. So I use a plain screen.

• Something which keeps catching me out is where I have a subject like a church gate, for example, and I focus on the left-hand gate pillar and make the shot, not noticing that the right-hand gate pillar is actually closer to me, albeit only by a foot. This now has to be part of the pre-shot assessment process, where before I simply used to rely on film DOF to take care of these minor indiscretions.

• Rather than simply focussing on my subject in the centre of the frame and then shooting, as I used to do, I now carefully scan the foreground, the corners, and every inch of the main subject for focus, before re-composing the shot and actuating the shutter. And if I move position at all, even by a foot or two, I force myself to re-focus again.

Now all of this must seem like perfectly obvious beginner stuff to you chaps, of course, but you know over the years I think I have just got sloppy. And shooting a lot of stuff for work with DSLRs where you don’t really even have to think about focus much doesn’t help, either. I’m finding out a lot I didn’t know before about these old Zeiss lenses, too, but that might be the subject for another post.

John

Explain to me how "film DOF" differs from  "digital DOF" on the same lens at the same settings.

John R Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:49:23 pm »

Quote from: wthomphoto
Explain to me how "film DOF" differs from  "digital DOF" on the same lens at the same settings.

Well, I can't actually explain it. But it does. On my old Zeiss lenses I have these wonderful little red pointers which move around to tell you your DOF for a given aperture and distance setting. With film, they work like a charm. I used to shoot hyperfocal a lot of the time, and infinity was always fine if the DOF pointers said it was. With the digital back, you can just forget it. Especially in the near field. The only thing that will actually be in critical focus is your point of focus, pretty much.

Now this may well be because with film I never looked at the picture at the equivalent magnification of a 6 foot 6 inches wide print, which is what you have to do with a 39MP file at 100%. And you have to view it at 100% to do sharpening and noise reduction in Lightroom.

John
an

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 04:12:36 pm »

Quote from: wthomphoto

We can all bicker about exact definitions of DOF but one simple way I'm okay with saying it is "when any particular thing is as crisp/clear as the most crisp/clear thing in the image then it is said to be within the DOF". If you have a blue ball in the plane of focus and a red ball outside the plane of focus and they have the same level of texture/detail then the red ball is in the plane of focus. If the red ball looks a bit softer than the blue ball is within the DOF and the red ball is not.

Or another way of saying the same thing: if something could not be resolved better than it's "in focus". The way we decide if something "could not have been resolved better" is if visually something else in the frame is shown resolved better.

So all else being equal the DOF extends further from the plane of focus in a 1 megapixel image than a 1000 megapixel image. Because as you come away from the plane of focus the lower resolution image is unable to show that slight theoretical softness.

If you're more a science geek than think about the circle of confusion and the pixel size. If the pixel size is significantly larger than the circle of confusion then the object is in focus. The smaller the pixel the more quickly the circle of confusion is larger than the pixel and therefore make the object out of focus.

Think about the extremes: a 400x400 pixel web image taken with moderate apertures often looks like it has great DOF. However, when you view the full resolution you can see the DOF falls off quite quickly. At the other end of the spectrum a 100% pixel view from a camera producing a trillion megapixels would be a perfect show-case for the fact that there is only one plane of perfect focus and DOF is only the area where you don't yet see the impact of the increasing fuzziness.

So this relates in film vs. digital because 120 film could not resolve as much real-world detail as a Phase One P65+. When everything is less well resolved the DOF increases.

Combine this with the fact that we can view every image we produce in seconds at the most critical level of evaluation (100% on a 72-144 dpi monitor with ability to compare two different areas directly next to each other) and you would often say the P65+ missed focus when the exact same shot on film was in focus. Down res the P65+ file to the level of detail captured by film and view it through a loupe at slide-film size and you'd say the P65+ file was in focus.

BTW: the old 1/focal-length was always a rough guide (every person's hand holding skills are different), and was always dependent on how critical you wanted to be with what is considered "acceptably sharp". If you're shooting very high resolution for very large prints (or tight crops) even a 5DII should be considered a 1/twice-focal-length (with IS lenses being an obvious exception). I never liked this rule of thumb since many photographers memorize it and never think past it. Throw in the fact that different equipment creates very different levels of vibration (think: a rangefinder M9 versus a P65+ on an RZ Pro IID) and the rule of thumb becomes: take your camera and take brackets from 1" to 1/1000" - do this a few times and see where your personal threshold is. This was the very first thing we did in my photo-documentary class freshman year of college. The results will vary (from my experience in that class) as much as 5 stops depending on your caffeine habits, desire for absolute vs. excellent vs. acceptable quality, equipment type, and shooting style. I had a classmate who determined from her tests that she would be okay shooting 4/focal length - she was shooting a rangefinder body, was not a freak about "pixel quality", and had a especially calm zenness.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

John R Smith

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 04:33:12 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
BTW: the old 1/focal-length was always a rough guide (every person's hand holding skills are different), and was always dependent on how critical you wanted to be with what is considered "acceptably sharp".

All very good points, Doug. Thank you for that. As far as the hand-holding speed thing goes, you are dead right, of course. I could easily hand-hold my old Rollei 2.8F at 1/30s or even 1/15 because there was no moving mirror. Even the Blad is different with different lenses - the 80mm is quite hard to shoot below 1/125s, whereas the 150mm is actually easier to hand-hold for some reason, possibly balance.

John
an

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:28:42 pm »

Quote from: John R Smith

At macro distances nearly the same linear measurement is in focus in front and behind the plane of focus. The percentage of DOF that falls behind the point of focus increases as the focus distance increases.

Still a good rule of thumb to remember that there is never more focus in front than behind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up