Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View Camera - H3DII back - Macbook  (Read 3571 times)

JonathanBenoit

View Camera - H3DII back - Macbook
« on: March 24, 2010, 03:49:20 pm »

I have a standard Macbook. Instead of hoping for everything to work out on location, I am looking for a solution for the lack firewire power to the H3DII back.

The imagebank is my last resort. I'd like to be able to stay tethered to aid in focusing. I understand that Capture Integration has a firewire power booster, but I'm still going to want a portable battery solution for exterior shots.

Are any of you using this sort of setup?

Nick-T

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:54:15 pm »

Quote from: JonathanBenoit
I have a standard Macbook. Instead of hoping for everything to work out on location, I am looking for a solution for the lack firewire power to the H3DII back.

The imagebank is my last resort. I'd like to be able to stay tethered to aid in focusing. I understand that Capture Integration has a firewire power booster, but I'm still going to want a portable battery solution for exterior shots.

Jonathan are you wanting additional power for the laptop (battery geek) or a way to power the back without a laptop, if the latter there is a power solution for this from a company called "big wave" from memory. I believe it was posted here some time ago a search should throw it up.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:17:19 pm »

Quote from: Nick-T
Jonathan are you wanting additional power for the laptop (battery geek) or a way to power the back without a laptop, if the latter there is a power solution for this from a company called "big wave" from memory. I believe it was posted here some time ago a search should throw it up.

Nick-T

Nick,

I want the laptop with me everywhere I go. Since the only way of powering the Back if by firewire, I need to make sure there is enough power going to the back. I'm pretty sure I need the firewire booster that capture one sells. I think the only other thing I would need is a portable battery that that has an AC outlet on it for the firewire power booster to plug into. I'm not sure where I'd even get a battery like this.

I'd love to know of any other solutions, as well.

Dave Carter

• http://
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 04:59:45 pm »

Jonathan
About five years ago, I spent almost a month down in the Grand Canyon along the river.  Of course, I had to provide my own power for my laptop, digital camera, backup hard drive, etc.  You get the idea.

I used Digital Camera Batteries.  The very neat thing about them as a large power source is that the company made cables to fit each of my power requirements.  Not only the plug end, but also the DC voltage.  The batteries are 16 volts I think.  But the cable at the battery end has a custom step down voltage for what ever you want.  You can also run several things at different voltages off one battery at the same time.  It was really no problem.  I carried four batteries down with me and only used three of them.  You just have to estimate how much stored energy to bring with you and be conservative.

Their site is:  www.digitalcamerabattery.com

If you have any other questions, email me.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 05:00:27 pm »

Quote from: Nick-T

The problem he is referring is the variability in firewire power that some laptops exhibit that for most applications wouldn't matter but for tethering medium format digital backs is critically important.

Capture Integration has been involved in this issue since it first started popping up. The central problem is that several laptops of a certain model may have no problems providing steady power through firewire while another laptop of the exact same model has problems. Even the same laptop which works for years without problems may suddenly start to show problems. This problem also comes up much more frequently when the laptop is not plugged into AC power and is halfway through it's own battery.

To be very clear - lately this has been somewhat rare. With the current MacBookPro series (unibody) we've seen few situations where the power from firewire was insufficiently stable. My feeling was the generation immediately before the unibodies.

With all Phase One P and P+ backs (other than the P20 non plus and P25 non plus) there is a menu option to run the back off of the back's battery power (a readily available Sony video battery) even when plugged into firewire. So our general advice to our Phase One customers is not to worry about it too much, but to carry a Phase One battery in their kit so that if and when the laptop isn't providing stable power they can pop the battery in the back and keep shooting.

Our firewire booster (a specifically selected and tested powered firewire hub) is not really suitable to the application you describe since it accepts it's power input from a standard AC outlet (not many of those out in the wilderness). So I don't think that will help you. Phase owners occasionally ask me about the "big wave" power source Nick references; because Phase backs have the ability to accept a battery at the back itself I've never really looked into it. Isn't it a device that only runs power over the firewire cable though, prohibiting the back from being plugged into a computer for tethering? PLEASE don't jump down my throat if I'm wrong about that - I'd be very happy to be corrected.

I don't know with what frequency this issue effects the H3D or H3DII; hopefully Nick or David or other Hassy experts can fill in some details there.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Nick-T

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 05:12:28 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
With all Phase One P and P+ backs (other than the P20 non plus and P25 non plus) there is a menu option to run the back off of the back's battery power (a readily available Sony video battery) even when plugged into firewire. So our general advice to our Phase One customers is not to worry about it too much, but to carry a Phase One battery in their kit so that if and when the laptop isn't providing stable power they can pop the battery in the back and keep shooting.

The Hasselblads have an intelligent power system that is supposed to mitigate the issue of varying voltage on laptops. I have never had issues shooting to a laptop (though as you say, others with the same model have had problems) so I can only assume the power management is working.
Phase owners occasionally ask me about the "big wave" power source Nick references; because Phase backs have the ability to accept a battery at the back itself I've never really looked into it. Isn't it a device that only runs power over the firewire cable though, prohibiting the back from being plugged into a computer for tethering? PLEASE don't jump down my throat if I'm wrong about that - I'd be very happy to be corrected.
I haven't seen the big wave thing in the flesh, my understanding is the same as yours, it's a power only solution for people that do not wish to tether.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 05:21:52 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
The problem he is referring is the variability in firewire power that some laptops exhibit that for most applications wouldn't matter but for tethering medium format digital backs is critically important.

Capture Integration has been involved in this issue since it first started popping up. The central problem is that several laptops of a certain model may have no problems providing steady power through firewire while another laptop of the exact same model has problems. Even the same laptop which works for years without problems may suddenly start to show problems. This problem also comes up much more frequently when the laptop is not plugged into AC power and is halfway through it's own battery.

To be very clear - lately this has been somewhat rare. With the current MacBookPro series (unibody) we've seen few situations where the power from firewire was insufficiently stable. My feeling was the generation immediately before the unibodies.

Our firewire booster (a specifically selected and tested powered firewire hub) is not really suitable to the application you describe since it accepts it's power input from a standard AC outlet (not many of those out in the wilderness). So I don't think that will help you. Phase owners occasionally ask me about the "big wave" power source Nick references; because Phase backs have the ability to accept a battery at the back itself I've never really looked into it. Isn't it a device that only runs power over the firewire cable though, prohibiting the back from being plugged into a computer for tethering? PLEASE don't jump down my throat if I'm wrong about that - I'd be very happy to be corrected.

I don't know with what frequency this issue effects the H3D or H3DII; hopefully Nick or David or other Hassy experts can fill in some details there.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Doug,
I'm pretty sure there are some portable batteries with built-in inverters that will provide an actual AC Plug. I have a standard MacBook from late 2009. I just want to be prepared for this.

Robert Moore

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 05:49:27 pm »

Quote from: JonathanBenoit

Tekkeon MP3450 to Belkin FW Hub with FW 400-800 cable...total about 225 USD. 12+ hours of use per charge.

Try B+H Photo.

Bob

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 06:04:23 pm »

Check these out
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Barkeeper

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 09:51:30 am »

Hello,

if you need the "Big Wave - EnergyPort" (which has firewire) contact me.

I have two of them here in Berlin including one european charger, but I do not use them since I have my imagebank.

Regards,
Barkeeper

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 11:59:08 pm »

We've got these in stock HD+ Firewire Power (aka BigWave EnergyPORT)

Works with the Hasselblad Firewire 800 port (the HD+ has a Firewire 400 port.) Nice to shoot to CF card on the Linhof, too.

Have tried on two occasions to power the P-series digital backs unsuccessfully.

It has a USB power port as well and can power USB devices (some iPhones and iTouch have trouble charging from it, YMMV)

http://hotwire-digital.com/handsonreviews/...i-on-cambo-wide

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

Rick_Allen

• http://www.rapdigital.net
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 01:08:12 am »

what are the operating voltage of a leaf or hasselblad back? I've got a few batterygeeks/hypermacs but never been game to plugg a back in. you could use the geek to power a Fw800 hub which in turn adds to the voltage stability........ also adds a few extra connections......
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 01:08:39 am by Rick_Allen »
Rick Allen
[url=http://www.rapdigital.ne
Pages: [1]   Go Up