Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS5: 32 bit filters work.  (Read 3167 times)

walter.sk

CS5: 32 bit filters work.
« on: May 03, 2010, 07:31:59 pm »

I just downloaded the Photoshop CS5 trial version, and tried pointing the Plug-ins Folder option in the Prefs file at my CS4 Plug-ins folder.  while I didn't expect that this would work for the 64 bit version, it did work for the 32-bit version without having to reinstall a bunch of filters.  So far, everything seems to work just fine by pointing to the CS4 Plug-Ins folder.

These are the filters I tried:

Focus Magic
NIK: DFine 2, Color Efex 3, Silver Efex, and Viveza 2.
Topaz: the latest versions of Adjust, Clean, Detail, Remask, Simplify, Denoise and DeJpeg.
Vertus: Fluid Mask 3.

No crashes, freezes strange cursors, etc.  At least for the 32 bit version there is no need to reinstall the filters.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 08:12:50 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk
I just downloaded the Photoshop CS5 trial version, and tried pointing the Plug-ins Folder option in the Prefs file at my CS4 Plug-ins folder.  while I didn't expect that this would work for the 64 bit version, it did work for the 32-bit version without having to reinstall a bunch of filters.

If you are pointing CS5 to use the root level CS4 plug-ins, that is not at all a good idea...you seriously don't want to have CS4 plug-ins loading in CS5. You would be a lot better off moving the 3rd party plug-ins over to the CS5 plug-ins folder. Really, while it might be alright for the 3rd party plug-ins, you will end up having issues when running CS4 plug-ins in CS5...

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:02:41 am »

Quote from: Schewe
If you are pointing CS5 to use the root level CS4 plug-ins, that is not at all a good idea...you seriously don't want to have CS4 plug-ins loading in CS5. You would be a lot better off moving the 3rd party plug-ins over to the CS5 plug-ins folder. Really, while it might be alright for the 3rd party plug-ins, you will end up having issues when running CS4 plug-ins in CS5...
Thanks, Jeff.  Duh!  Never thought about the possible double reference to Adobe's own plugins!

A little bit of knowledge goes a long way--toward unintended consequences!

daws

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 05:12:05 am »

Walter -- since Jeff's post have you had a chance to try FocusMagic in CS5 from within the CS5 plugins folder? I'm about to upgrade to CS5 and move to a 64-bit machine & am curious if FM will work.
I emailed Acclaim asking them when/if on a 64-bit port for FM -- they replied right away, but have no release date as of yet.
Thx.

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:09:43 am »

Quote from: daws
Walter -- since Jeff's post have you had a chance to try FocusMagic in CS5 from within the CS5 plugins folder? I'm about to upgrade to CS5 and move to a 64-bit machine & am curious if FM will work.
I emailed Acclaim asking them when/if on a 64-bit port for FM -- they replied right away, but have no release date as of yet.
Thx.

I copied the Focus Magic folder into the Plug-Ins folder in CS5-32 bit, and it works just fine.  I no longer just point CS5's Plug-ins page in the preferences to the CS4 Plug-Ins because of possible problems with Adobe's own plugins.  (See earlier post in this thread.)

Ultimately, I think I will put the 3rd party 32-bit plug-ins in their own folder and then point both CS4 and CS5 to that folder.

So far, I have no problems with any of my 3rd party filters in CS5 32-bits, including all the NIK stuff, Vertus Fluid Mask, all of the Topaz plugins, and, to some extent, Image Align.

So far, only NIK Viveza 2 and the Topaz 64-bit plug-ins work in CS5, and have to be specifically installed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up