Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon's "Sample Images"  (Read 1054 times)

deeyas

• http://www.sayeedmahmood.com
Canon's "Sample Images"
« on: March 11, 2010, 11:17:11 am »

Every now and again, I visit Canon's website to take a peak at the new stuff that's been introduced. The "sample images" that accompany lens descriptions have never really impressed me. But looking at the sample image that they've provided with the new EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, I must say .... REALLY?! C'MON!!!  

I don't claim to know much about marketing or mass communication, but I know that all supplementary info provided for a product most likely reflects its strengths. What purpose does this image serve (and perhaps other similar ones on the site) ? Does anyone find this image descriptive of the lens' "abilities". Its not even a "pretty" image! What is Canon's thought process here? Pick up a camera body, mount the new lens, take a shot and see if its working?! At least provide the EXIF so we can get an idea of why this image was selected as a sample!

Nikon makes an effort to put up a diverse set of images taken by people who seem to understand the strengths of the product. I find the "samples" on dpreview more appealing than  the ones on Canon's site! Why haven't they tried hiring professional photographers to do the job??!!

I'm sure the new 70-200 is quite a lens and will see much success, but the folks at Canon need to learn how to use their own products! Just my thought ... not meant to hurt any Canonites!

The EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS II  page
Pages: [1]   Go Up