Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Los Angeles locations  (Read 2519 times)

lisa_r

Los Angeles locations
« on: March 14, 2010, 12:30:03 pm »

Hey guys, anyone know of interesting, old, cool locations in LA such as this where you could do still and some video without spending a fortune? I know many great spots in NY but my LA knowledge is very limited...thanks!

bcooter

Los Angeles locations
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 02:50:15 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
Hey guys, anyone know of interesting, old, cool locations in LA such as this where you could do still and some video without spending a fortune? I know many great spots in NY but my LA knowledge is very limited...thanks!

You can find something similar in LA.

LA is different than NY in that there are over 80 municipalities in the county and it is nearly 5,000 sq. miles. so choosing a location, cutting a permit can be an art in it's self.  

You are usually required to permit through the eidc (now called film LA) http://www.filmla.com/ , even when working in studio (though most people don't,) but you should know that every municipality has it's own regulations.  Culver City, West Hollywood, Santa Monica are as different in requirements and costs as Dallas, Chicago and Miami.

My suggestion is to find a good location service, review online, be clear on your budget, crew size etc and go from there.  Go early, learn the locations and what you can and cannot do.

Then plan your lodging around the location(s) you'll work in because as I'm sure you know LA traffic and movement is legendary.  Some hotels are very film friendly, some less so, though nearly all West Side hotels are use to large crews and accomodations.

LA can be magical for the locations because this time of year you can shoot in the snow, on the beach, historic, modern, urban, rural, desert, and do it within days, even hours of each other, (as long as you know the traffic patterns), but LA can be holy hell if you don't know and follow the regulations.

The last two years LA has become much "nicer" about the rules, though as you know, anywhere, all it takes is one pissed off lifeguard, cop, neighbor, or Park Ranger and you'll be sent home packing.

I'm not implying not to work there because when it's good it's so good and when it's easy it's very easy, but I could write a book on neighbors blocking streets with Mercedes, angry cops that don't know the rules, or the David Hasselhoff clones that want to move you off the beach.

We've always had everything in order, always followed the rules, always know the rules so we've always got it done, but I could not imagine trying to work under the radar like you can in NY.

BC

P.S.   I'm curious though.  If you live in NY and have this location in NY why fly for 6 hours?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:51:27 pm by bcooter »

lisa_r

Los Angeles locations
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 03:19:05 pm »

Thanks a lot for the info!

Quote from: bcooter
P.S.   I'm curious though.  If you live in NY and have this location in NY why fly for 6 hours?

Because we are getting an apartment in LA (probably Topanga or Santa Monica/Venice) so I will be working out there more and more.

Any production companies you have worked with which have kicked ass for you?

bcooter

Los Angeles locations
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 03:32:35 pm »

Thanks a lot for the info!

Because we are getting an apartment in LA (probably Topanga or Santa Monica/Venice) so I will be working out there more and more.

Any production companies you have worked with which have kicked ass for you?

We are are own production company, exclusive to our productions so no we don't know any other producers,  but do a find on locations, there are about 4 reputable location agencies and it won't take you but a few minutes to know who they are.

In moving, I'd stay away from Venice, as I did 9 years there.  It's strange that it's sandwiched between the Marina and Santa Monica but the difference in crime, congestion is night and day.

Topanga is nice, though remember your clients that fly in will probably be either in Westwood, Brentwood, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, or Bev Hills, so sometimes Topanga can be a reach.  (though I like it there).

If your going to work LA, then I think it's smart your moving there as it's a much different learn than NY, just due to the size.  

Good luck.

BC

lisa_r

Los Angeles locations
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 03:35:40 pm »

Thanks man.  We are king of moving there - but keeping the place in NY because I have advertising clients there...but really looking forward to more sun ;-)

bcooter

Los Angeles locations
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 04:11:46 pm »

Thanks man.  We are king of moving there - but keeping the place in NY because I have advertising clients there...but really looking forward to more sun ;-)

If your buying in LA then prices are still somewhat high, especially on the west side.  Not that anyone is buying, it's just that the owners can't come to terms that there 1 bedroom houses aren't worth 1 million anymore so they stand pat.

Now renting/Leasing is another matter and rents are close to 1/2 price.

LA is different than NY in that the broker is paid by the Landlord not the tennant, so find a good broker and be prepared to waste a week looking at 4 story house in Beverly Hills with carpeted walls.

For us it' depends on our client base, as 99.99999% of our clients always are more than 1,000 miles away, so this time we made it easy on our clients and ourselves and set up in Santa Monica less than 1/2 mile to the beach.

I gotta admit the beach thing is a lifesaver, especially for all the hours we work in post production.  If I'm not shooting at 4 pm I take my dog down to the beach, just for a few minutes and it's like having a vacation.  (I guess that's kind of sad I think 30 minutes is a vacation).

For Eastern clients LA can seem daunting, as it's large, difficult to drive around in and neighborhoods can go from lavish to somewhat scary in a few blocks.

We looked everywhere, found great places in West LA, Culver City, downtown, even over by Dodger's Stadium, but they just didn't work for production and out of town clients so we paid a little more but went to Santa Monica, because it was one of the few areas that can entertain clients without a limo.

It's probably the closest thing to South Beach as LA gets.  Culver city has come up and has more restaurants and walk around areas, (though still somewhat boring), the Grove is ok but it's really a Mall and no non driving client should walk up and down Sunset.

If your in an area that client's can't entertain themselves you'll end up being the tour guide.  I think it's funny because I can go into Chaya Venice and see 4 photographers buying dinner for tables full of out of town clients all the photographers look tired (they are) all the clients stare at the menu wondering what the hell Manchego is.

Once again, good luck.

BC

P.S.  Clients can walk around Bev Hills, but in today's business climate they have a hard time putting Bev. Hills down on the expense report.

lisa_r

Los Angeles locations
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 04:27:32 pm »

Yeah, I think there is probably a 90% chance we will end up in Santa Monica. All of our friends live there, and we love the beach. Being able to walk or ride bikes to the beach year round is a major plus IMO. And compared to NYC, the rent is cheap ;-)

Do you have a rental studio there which you rent when you are not using it?

Thanks again for all the advice.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 04:28:02 pm by lisa_r »

bcooter

Los Angeles locations
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 05:38:19 pm »

Yeah, I think there is probably a 90% chance we will end up in Santa Monica. All of our friends live there, and we love the beach. Being able to walk or ride bikes to the beach year round is a major plus IMO. And compared to NYC, the rent is cheap ;-)

Do you have a rental studio there which you rent when you are not using it?

Thanks again for all the advice.

I'm really not a rent it out type of guy.

I just loaned one of our places to friends for the week (not for photography) and now we're fixing stuff, so no I'm not really built for that, but a lot of people do it and do it well.

BC
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 05:42:56 pm by bcooter »

gwhitf

Los Angeles locations
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 06:41:33 pm »

cool locations in LA such as this where you could do still and some video without spending a fortune?

For that look, I'd look downtown, and slightly east of downtown. In the area of streets: Santa Fe, Alameda, Molino, Little Tokyo, 1st thru 4st bridge around the LA River, garment district. Or maybe the Helms Building in Culver City. But nothing is less than a fortune.

lisa_r

Los Angeles locations
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 06:49:39 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
For that look, I'd look downtown, and slightly east of downtown. In the area of streets: Santa Fe, Alameda, Molino, Little Tokyo, 1st thru 4st bridge around the LA River, garment district. Or maybe the Helms Building in Culver City. But nothing is less than a fortune.

Good info, thanks.
So, what's a "fortune"?
I can get that Met Bldg in LIC for $350 if i ask nicely...

gwhitf

Los Angeles locations
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 07:04:02 pm »

Good info, thanks.
So, what's a "fortune"?

I guess it just depends on whether it's an "official photo location" that's rented out often, or not.

If it's Vinny's upstairs, above the deli, and you don't mind the rats, and the makeup artist sets up her kit on bags of rice or palletts, then it's open season. Maybe no one's ever shot up there, and the only reason he'd let you shoot up there is because you're a regular customer that buys the Colt 45s, and he likes you, or that one Tshirt that you wear every now and then. So, maybe cheap like that.

But if it's an official location, I'd expect $2500 plus insurance.

Yeah, big difference.

Same with everything: if it's official "photo", then multiply times three. Umbrellas, gaff tape, you name it.

bcooter

Los Angeles locations
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 07:10:05 pm »

Last year any studio at Smashbox was $500 per day, though now they've gone back up.

$350 . . . whew that's tight even for Long Island City, but maybe you can find it in LA if you shoot on an off day, you are low maintinance, etc. etc.

One photographer I know uses Craig's List to find studios and does find them in that range, though they are usually small, 1 person spaces East Of Downtown or around Washington and Flower.

BC

pschefz

Los Angeles locations
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 07:39:24 pm »

Good info, thanks.
So, what's a "fortune"?

the nice thing about NY is that you can always pay the elevator/door guy....in LA either you know someone in the building you want to shoot at or you have to pay official rates....which are much higher.....that is the "problem" with so much film/video/TV...production happening....

topanga is amazing....if you want to be in nature, there is nothing better and 20 minutes to the westside is great and it is a beautiful drive....but people tend to not leave once they get home....
schefz.com
artloch.com

lisa_r

Los Angeles locations
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 07:57:45 pm »

My idea is to find interesting non-studio locations for shoots. Also I teach lighting now and then for colleges and would like to find some cool spots to take the kids.

About Topanga, yes my plan is to get home and not leave ;-) I have a weekend place in upstate NY right now, so the idea is to get that kind of feel, but on the left coast.

pschefz

Los Angeles locations
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 08:21:15 pm »

My idea is to find interesting non-studio locations for shoots. Also I teach lighting now and then for colleges and would like to find some cool spots to take the kids.

About Topanga, yes my plan is to get home and not leave ;-) I have a weekend place in upstate NY right now, so the idea is to get that kind of feel, but on the left coast.

then topanga is right for you....like upstate but 15 min to santa monica (or smashbox or pier studios)....renting is a little tricky because the best ones are never advertized..unless you want to pay a lot....buying is tricky as well because every house is a little funky and has a history and you only find that out after you lived here for a while and know everone....

in NY i shot in clubs, bars, hotels, apartments, on roofs without paying anything....here everybody knows what even the smallest crew does to your place and also knows that one week/a year in proper location fees easily beats getting a little here and there....and a LOT of people have their houses listed with location agencies.....
it is frustrating because there are so many great locations here....but they all seem to have a pretty high entrance fee....
schefz.com
artloch.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up