Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3880 Huhnemuhle rear paper source  (Read 1780 times)

jwwbrennan

• featherstudio.com
3880 Huhnemuhle rear paper source
« on: April 21, 2010, 03:26:32 pm »

I just started using an Epson 3880 yesterday and have a problem with Huhnemuhle paper placed in the rear paper source. It reports a paper problem with many of the papers practically every time.  I can't get the canvas to work at all. I have tried various settings on both paper thickness and platen gap but it still fails to take the paper correctly. I am using the proper ICCs from Huhnemuhle (once it takes the paper the printing is outstanding) and have read the company literature on the settings so I am uncertain what to try next. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Jim Brennan

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 04:16:36 pm »

Quote from: jwwbrennan
I just started using an Epson 3880 yesterday and have a problem with Huhnemuhle paper placed in the rear paper source. It reports a paper problem with many of the papers practically every time.  I can't get the canvas to work at all. I have tried various settings on both paper thickness and platen gap but it still fails to take the paper correctly. I am using the proper ICCs from Huhnemuhle (once it takes the paper the printing is outstanding) and have read the company literature on the settings so I am uncertain what to try next. I would appreciate any suggestions.
For matte papers you need to brush them off prior to feeding to get all the dust off the paper.  If the rollers get coated, you will have a problem in having it feed properly.  The paper also has to be snug against the paper guide on the right as there is a sensor that detects that the paper is feeding straight.  I don't print on canvas so I cannot provide any assistance for you on that count.  I've not had any problems at all feeding gloss papers as they don't pose a dust issue (but should be carefully brushed just to make sure).  I print on a couple Hahnemhule matte papers as well as Museo Portfolio Rag.  The Hahnemuhle papers have much more dust than Museo.  Also, keep you printer covered when not using it.  More good resources are here.

Hope all this helps.  As you note, prints are quite striking.

Alan

Randy Carone

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 04:25:46 pm »

To load canvas on my 3800 I use the front feed. I put a piece of fairly stiff paper such as Silver Rag or Exhibition fiber on top of the canvas sheet with the leading edge of the canvas set back about 2". I then feed both sheets in the front until I can feel that it has passed the area where canvas would normally get hung up. Then remove the top sheet and continue to feed the canvas in so it lines up with the guide line on the front feeder tray. After the initial loading, proceed as normal with the appropriate platen gap and paper thickness settings for the thickness of the canvas you will print.

Regarding the HFA paper, I have had few problems feeding from the rear sheet feeder but it is all about feel. I usually use one hand to put a small amount of pressure on the top edge of the paper while the printer grabs and loads the paper. It is very important to put very even pressure on the paper so you don't have more pressure on one side of the paper. For 17" x 22" paper I lean over the printer and put the slight downward pressure from two points on top edge of the paper. With a bit of practice using this technique I have reduced the "paper skewed" errors to a minimum. Let us know if you are able to reduce the amount of times you get the error.
Randy Carone

jwwbrennan

• featherstudio.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 04:47:55 pm »

Wow, that was quick. Dust never occurred to me. The ones that have gone through have done so with the weight of my finger so you confirmed the human touch is still required. I purchased the two Huhnemuhle sample packs which included the canvas but I think I will leave that bit of technical voodoo until I have more experience.

Thanks for the help.
Jim Brennan
Pages: [1]   Go Up