Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Kill a Nikon (is this art?)  (Read 20415 times)

customminds

How to Kill a Nikon (is this art?)
« on: March 06, 2010, 10:00:13 am »

The 1,2,3's on how to kill a Nikon.

video and high res images here.
Wedding Photographer destroys camera

Art or not?
-----------------------------------
 Custom Minds Photography
Houston Wedding Photographer
Houston Family Portrait Photographer
Houston Event Photographer

fredjeang

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 11:39:48 am »

Cheap art called: messing us around. Dali made the point in an old interview: "If Vermeer does any kind of performance, it will always be a Vermeer. If a joker does any kind of performance, it will always be a joke".
They better gave this camera to someone who would have loved to have it and could not.

To me it is art, but very cheap one.

Cheers.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 11:51:54 am »

Quote from: customminds
The 1,2,3's on how to kill a Nikon.

video and high res images here.
Wedding Photographer destroys camera

Art or not?
Pointless, half-wittted clowning. Not art.

Jeremy

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 12:23:01 pm »

Art needs to have a meaning. This looks more like boredom.
"The real voyage of discove

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 01:37:31 pm »

It looks to me like the ultimate Canon vs. Nikon brand war. I will guard my Canon equipment closely, because this sort of thing is likely to incite mindless retaliation.

Art? No.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 02:49:11 pm »

If he understood fine art he'd know that to be "fine art" it has to be expensive. Burning up a D50 is low art.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

customminds

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 03:06:41 pm »

Quote from: RSL
If he understood fine art he'd know that to be "fine art" it has to be expensive. Burning up a D50 is low art.

heh  (who said fine art?)

i'll share the secret later this weekend.

enjoyed the emotional responses so far.

:-)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 03:07:15 pm by customminds »
 Custom Minds Photography

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 11:47:49 pm »

i'll share the secret later this weekend.

My wild guess: In the first scene, just after you show that the camera actually works, you step out of the video camera view just long enough to substitute the one that was already broken too much to be repairable.

I still won't call it art (sleight of hand, maybe?    )

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 02:53:27 am »

Art?  No.  Juvenile?  Unquestionably.  Imagine what a young kid whose parents can't afford to buy him/her a DSLR could've done with a "mere" D50...  What a waste.

fredjeang

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 03:30:18 am »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
Art?  No.  Juvenile?  Unquestionably.  Imagine what a young kid whose parents can't afford to buy him/her a DSLR could've done with a "mere" D50...  What a waste.
Totally agree...this is pure middle class erasmus kid game having cheap fun and thinking they are the new Joseph Kosuth, they fool themselves.
I'd like to see the same stupid thing with a new hasselblad. But this one is just a joke.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 08:43:14 am »

Just one thought comes to my mind: "why?".

wthomphoto

• http://
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 09:57:03 am »

Quote from: EduPerez
Just one thought comes to my mind: "why?".
Yep, that's got to be the stupidist  f**kin thing I've ever seen.

LoisWakeman

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 12:11:06 pm »

Art or not?
Do you actually need to ask? - oh yeah, you are plugging your blog.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 03:34:49 pm »

Quote from: LoisWakeman
Do you actually need to ask? - oh yeah, you are plugging your blog.
BINGO!!!!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

customminds

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 04:29:18 pm »

Secrets

First off, had a great time reading all the comments!. ... and yes, I'm glad you can't send punches through the forum. :-P

The idea of giving the camera to a school, student or Don7849 (a random user) would have been a great idea. (Someone at dpreview said I should fulfill the Kenya mail scam -- that was the best. )

While some people think I was pretty crazy/stupid/immature to burn a d50, I found it informative and well... very fun. Most of us never see equipment destroyed, especially by a blow torch. I had a great time doing it (I am gearing up for your pyro comments.)

As for the camera shots, a non-camera person was shooting. i set up the camera for him, but i guess i forgot to tell him about the center spot focus and the minimum lens distance. and no, i won't be burning the 1ds anytime soon.

And lastly, while I 'proved' the camera was functional... it wasn't. Yes it did take pictures,.... but,.... only bright daytime subjects at M, 1/30 shutter, F4.? and ISO 1600. A set employee this last year decided that holding the camera was not what she desired, so she dropped it. I think at the time 6:10 or 6:20 into the video you can see a huge crack on the bottom of the camera... that was originally there. The lens was also broken from a different drop test - it only could take pictures on M (not A) on the lens. -- zoom was physically impossible.

As for the valuable parts, the battery and the cheap 512mb memory card, i of course saved those. waste not.

Now as for the comments about selling for parts. We did that last season. The camera sells for $15 to the camera rapair store then $5 for the lens. Shipping was on us and cost 5-10 bucks to ship. I would be able to eat a super-sized meal at mcdonalds with the profit (or 10 chicken crisps at burger king). We sold 12 broken d40, d50, d70 and d100 cameras last season. and about 20 x 18-55 lenses. (the kit lens broke quite easily believe it or not) We used the money we made to pay for part of one new D40 + lens.

Fixing the camera and lens would have cost more than a new D50 or D40 (if either were still made or sold) and the warranty was no longer valid. (not to mention they probably would not honor it).
lastly, while we did box it and ship it, we didn't ship back to nikon. instead we shipped to a friend as a gag. They should get it tomorrow.

Thank you all again for checking it out. I hope you can watch it again with a little more fun knowing its not really 'working'.

And remember, when I have a blow torch in my hands, you might want to keep your cameras away!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:01:11 pm by customminds »
 Custom Minds Photography

RazorTM

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/razortm/
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 07:11:13 am »

Secrets

First off, had a great time reading all the comments!. ... and yes, I'm glad you can't send punches through the forum. :-P

The idea of giving the camera to a school, student or Don7849 (a random user) would have been a great idea. (Someone at dpreview said I should fulfill the Kenya mail scam -- that was the best. )

While some people think I was pretty crazy/stupid/immature to burn a d50, I found it informative and well... very fun. Most of us never see equipment destroyed, especially by a blow torch. I had a great time doing it (I am gearing up for your pyro comments.)

As for the camera shots, a non-camera person was shooting. i set up the camera for him, but i guess i forgot to tell him about the center spot focus and the minimum lens distance. and no, i won't be burning the 1ds anytime soon.

And lastly, while I 'proved' the camera was functional... it wasn't. Yes it did take pictures,.... but,.... only bright daytime subjects at M, 1/30 shutter, F4.? and ISO 1600. A set employee this last year decided that holding the camera was not what she desired, so she dropped it. I think at the time 6:10 or 6:20 into the video you can see a huge crack on the bottom of the camera... that was originally there. The lens was also broken from a different drop test - it only could take pictures on M (not A) on the lens. -- zoom was physically impossible.

As for the valuable parts, the battery and the cheap 512mb memory card, i of course saved those. waste not.

Now as for the comments about selling for parts. We did that last season. The camera sells for $15 to the camera rapair store then $5 for the lens. Shipping was on us and cost 5-10 bucks to ship. I would be able to eat a super-sized meal at mcdonalds with the profit (or 10 chicken crisps at burger king). We sold 12 broken d40, d50, d70 and d100 cameras last season. and about 20 x 18-55 lenses. (the kit lens broke quite easily believe it or not) We used the money we made to pay for part of one new D40 + lens.

Fixing the camera and lens would have cost more than a new D50 or D40 (if either were still made or sold) and the warranty was no longer valid. (not to mention they probably would not honor it).
lastly, while we did box it and ship it, we didn't ship back to nikon. instead we shipped to a friend as a gag. They should get it tomorrow.

Thank you all again for checking it out. I hope you can watch it again with a little more fun knowing its not really 'working'.

And remember, when I have a blow torch in my hands, you might want to keep your cameras away!

I thought to myself that this camera had to be broken in some manner--just seeing you "take a photo" with it wasn't proof enough to me that it was fully functional.  I love the rage which you've incited on various internet forums with this little stunt.  I quite enjoyed it myself  

LoisWakeman

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 09:40:59 am »

More a sigh of mild ennui than rage here....

customminds

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 10:26:30 am »

Quote from: RazorTM
I thought to myself that this camera had to be broken in some manner--just seeing you "take a photo" with it wasn't proof enough to me that it was fully functional.  I love the rage which you've incited on various internet forums with this little stunt.  I quite enjoyed it myself  

Haha, thanks Razor.  You were correct.

Truth be told, I watched some kid 'fake'-drop his camera (D3) and made it look like it still worked... then put it into a non-working microwave and 'it still worked again'.... i thought to myself... I can do better.

So, by destroying it I did expect an 'offended' response from the the viewers.  But, I also hoped each person would look to their equipment with a renewed appreciation -- And, just hopefully, go out and use their camera.  

Custom Minds Photography

PeterValk

• http://
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 01:18:00 pm »

"We sold 12 broken d40, d50, d70 and d100 cameras last season. and about 20 x 18-55 lenses"

What the heck are you doing to your equipment?
Maybe it's time to buy something more durable, or be more careful.
Nikon probably gives you wholesale discounts by now I guess.

Peter

Greg Campbell

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 04:12:19 pm »

This mindless destruction seems more an Ego Exercise than any attempt at 'art.'
Zero stars.  FAIL!  LOSER!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up