Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: phase versus hassleblad  (Read 47497 times)

JohnKoerner

phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2010, 02:48:03 pm »

Quote from: michael
John,
There is nothing dishonest going on; and yes, I stand behind both positions.
How is this possible? Simple. Many things in life are ambiguous, and a tiny change in beginning state can lead to a huge difference in end state.
It was Fitzgerald who wrote, "Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

Very philosophical of you Michael

I understand the gist of what you're saying. However, it's the word "tiny change" that I have trouble with. If in one article you hold that trained professionals can't see a difference up close with 11x17 prints from a G10 and a P65 ... then, to me, another article stating that any knowledgeable person should be able to see the difference in a print from a P65 and a top DSLR from 30' away is more than just a "tiny" difference, it is an otherworldly difference.

In the case of the G10 vs Phase article most of the "trained observers" couldn't see the difference in 11X17" sized prints between the two cameras. But, of note is that there were a few who could. How? Because they didn't look at sharpness alone. They looked at depth of field, tonal accuracy, dynamic range and several other characteristics (including some that are hard to name) that gave the game away. Even pros can be mislead.

Well, again, only "a few" being able to see the differences up close between a G10 and a P65 on a 17" image somehow doesn't wash with the implication that ANY knowledgeable person should be able to see the difference between a "small" print from a P65 and a top DSLR from 30' away.

So, I am not so sure it's a matter of even the pros can be mislead as it is a matter of even well-meaning authors can be misleading ...

There has been more than one person comment that they can tell just by looking at my Home Page shots which have been taken with MF and which with other cameras. In an 800 pixel image this simply shouldn't be the case. But it is easily the case for those with a good eye.

I do agree (and myself can see) the difference in quality in a MF image and a P&S image, at only 800 pixels width, staring me square in the face on my 26" monitor. So maybe I too have a good eye.

However, this is a far cry from being able to see the difference in a small P65 image and a top DSLR image from 30' away. This isn't having "a good eye," it is having super-human eyes that don't exist.

Thus I think the problem isn't in the concept, the problem is in the exaggeration in describing the concept.

I could go on, but won't. In the end what I've seen over the years (decades) of doing and teaching photography is that nailing down the question of image quality is a slippery fish. Just when you think you've got a grip, it pops out of your hands.
I guess that I'll simply continue my life knowing that photography, as with life itself, is full of contradictions.
Michael

You are correct that life is full of contradictions. The trouble is, some contradictions are "paradoxical truths" that philosophers have pondered throughout the ages, while other contradictions are blatant double-talk involving impossibilities.

Again, I don't think anyone here has a problem with the concept that there are subtle tonal/IQ differences that (in LARGE images) can clearly be seen in MF images versus DSLR images ... the problem is in the exaggeration that these differences are so profound that they can be seen from 30' away ... while on the same site there is another article stating that even a G10 could fool most pros up close on even larger images.

I think both articles contained exaggerations, first one way, then another.

Anyway, I think the tendency to subjectively exaggerate is what has caused the uproar, rather than just dealing with measurable facts. Again, I am not trying to be rude, and I know we all can tend to exaggerate, but sometimes it can come back to haunt us if we do so to people who are looking for the exact truth, and not somebody's "impression" ... that may or may not hold true if he gets up on the other side of the bed the next day.

Jack

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 02:52:51 pm by JohnKoerner »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2010, 03:16:44 pm »

My 2 cents:

When you use the best processing software for each, and take into consideration tonal gradation, absolute detail, and color fidelity of the shadows and highlights I consistently find the modern Phase One and Leaf backs to exceed the dynamic range of any dSLR I've used (mostly Canons since we are a Canon dealer). However, 6 stops does exceed my personal experience. I won't even bother to quantify it other than to say it is, in my opinion, significant. When pushing around a file from, e.g. a P65+ I'm consistently blown away by just how far it can be pushed or pulled while keeping smooth tones, realistic, color accurate, noise free, and detailed content.

In other words there is a huge difference between engineering "detail" (meaning the ability to discern a signal over noise) and photographic detail suitable for printing or commercial use. If I can recover "detail" in a dSLR file but the color is muddy, the noise is ugly, and the tones are jaggy, blotchy, or otherwise not smooth and natural then that, in my opinion, does not count as usable DR.

The most important thing to me is that in difficult real world scenes (e.g. a contrasty landscape) the difference of even 1 stop of DR is the difference between holding detail in the highlights and shadows or having detail-less clouds with muddy shadows. If the scene requires X and you have X-1 only multiple exposures can save you.

Doesn't take much time shooting skin tone in sunlight with dark fabric to see the difference. The first thing to go is the smoothness and color accuracy of the skin as the red channel starts to clip.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Inanda Images

phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2010, 03:48:02 pm »

I am not trained as a photographer but as an engineer. I don’t have years of photographic experience and barely do enough commercial work to be able to get by, the rest of the time I shoot my passion. I invested in Nikon glass and bodies, invested in Epson and learned what makes my eyes happy. I fell into Contax645 and Phase One by chance and even though all my gear is old the difference in the dslr & mfdb are obvious. You can see on my studio walls in the proof prints the difference in the sensor systems.
I don’t have an ax to grind or am married to any position or product except my Epson 9880. As I look around my studio one can see in the prints the difference between the systems. The proof I have always felt was in the print. Right now that is what drives my view of the MFDB, that final print. To that end I have invested in lighting and moving my skills in MF directions learning how to use this tool in the environments where I previously used Nikon. And learn I have had to do, all my bad habits have come back to haunt me forcing me to be far more me meticulous in my approach.
I cannot explain in literal terms why the frames are so different. In working with repro of oil/acrylics the artists like the MFDB files better than the previous system. Portraiture is the same, MFDB consistently produces a better file. Chasing the magic hour takes a five frame stitch to capture the same tonality of a single frame of the mf.
I am willing to accept the downside of MF simply because of the final print. The clarity and dynamic range of the mf clearly is better than anything I produced with Nikon, single frame, panorama or HDR. Can I live without my Nikon? Not a chance, but I will always be pushing to find a way to use the Phase One back where ever I can simply because it produces the best print which for me as a photographer and individual is why I shoot.
Mark’s review confirmed my view of the open system of Phase One and helped me decide that the next chunk of silicon I will purchase will be a Phase One back to run on my Contax645. In the end it is the intangible of what my eyes like no matter how often I go look at the DXO labs page which seems to tell me different.
Mark Prins

deejjjaaaa

phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2010, 04:04:45 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
When pushing around a file from, e.g. a P65+ I'm consistently blown away by just how far it can be pushed or pulled
that will be just +/- 2.5 stops in CaptureOne, right ?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2010, 04:39:26 pm »

Quote from: JohnKoerner
My apologies good sir!

I was having enough trouble discussing Mike and Michael on the thread below this one, that dealing with Mark and Mark got me turned around on this one  

I will enter an edit correction immediately  

Jack

Thanks Jack - and yes, it can all get confusing indeed!

Mark (S, non-PhD)
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

bjanes

phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2010, 05:00:56 pm »

Quote from: deja
that will be just +/- 2.5 stops in CaptureOne, right ?
If the sensor has good shadow noise, pushing of 2.5 stops is entirely reasonable, but if you can recover 2.5 stops of highlight detail, then you are not exposing to the right.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2010, 05:12:40 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
When you use the best processing software for each, and take into consideration tonal gradation, absolute detail, and color fidelity of the shadows and highlights I consistently find the modern Phase One and Leaf backs to exceed the dynamic range of any dSLR I've used (mostly Canons since we are a Canon dealer). However, 6 stops does exceed my personal experience. I won't even bother to quantify it other than to say it is, in my opinion, significant. When pushing around a file from, e.g. a P65+ I'm consistently blown away by just how far it can be pushed or pulled while keeping smooth tones, realistic, color accurate, noise free, and detailed content.

There you go.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:16:15 pm by BernardLanguillier »

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2010, 05:30:57 pm »

I don't see why the G10/MF and DSLR/MF statements are incompatible. You shoot a low contrast, high-DOF scene: nothing to differentiate a G10 from MF in a relatively small print, since it's within DR and max resolution of both. You shoot a high contrast scene: the system with larger DR produces a print that is dramatically different from the system with lower DR.

When the authors wrote "6 f-stops", I assume they should have written "considerably more", which is what they probably meant. Because I don't know how any working photographer (as opposed to an imaging scientist with measurement tools) no matter how technically competent he is, can evaluate the difference to be "6 f-stops", as opposed to "5 f-stops", or "4 f-stops", and it's easy to slip from there. I certainly can't - although in some occasion I have able to expose transparency film correctly without a meter. But I'd recognize "considerably more" DR if I saw it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:34:18 pm by luong »
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards

BernardLanguillier

phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2010, 05:31:06 pm »

Quote from: Mark D Segal
Bernard, I was really intrigued by your mention of this camera some posts further back. IF they really do release this product anywhere within a reasonable range of the price point you suggest, it COULD INDEED be a game changer depending on a number of factors of course, not the least of which would be the quality of Pentax service backing it up. The one experience I had with them here in Canada has soured me on anything to do with Pentax, much as I have always respected the high quality of their optics and the practical design and pricing of their equipment going back many decades. Anyhow, on the technical side, if and when it does hit the market, it will deserve, and of course get, a very serious looking over in terms of value for money. Depending on the outcome of those analyses, it could either change games or it won't. No point speculating now - all that remains to be eagerly anticipated. There's nothing like competition and brand-agnosticism to keep life interesting for us consumers.

Well, I find this camera hugely interesting, because it will be the first digital camera ever released by a company with both experience in MF and digital technologies.

Mamiya was in essence a company with MF experience but none in digital. Nonetheless, the ZD was an interesting offering and got a good review from Michael who was then especially impressed by its DR. By the way, the same DR that, as a Mamiya ZD user, I now believe is clearly inferior to that of my D3x. I know why he was impressed and why I am not, but I will not re-open this debate here.

I believe that the Pentax has the potential to be a much better device at a price point that will be below 10.000 US$ for sure. It will because:

- Few people will pay more for a camera in Japan,
- They need to establish their credibility,
- Pentax knows economies of scales better than anybody else in the camera industry,
- They tend to be objective about the respective value of their technology vs others. The benchmarks done by Nippon Camera and Asahi camera are based on real tests, not on opinions. As a result, they will price their MF camera in a way reflecting the actual gap relative to this generation of high end DSLRs and the next one to be released a few months from now. This makes prices above 10.000 US$ un-realistic.

If this works out per the plan, Pentax might end up saving the industry by giving the maker of the chip they use the opportunity to produce significant volumes and therefore catch up in R&D investments relative to the Japanese chip designers. I believe that they will also put price pressure on the other guys in the industry which is someone we should all be happy about, unless we work for one of them of course.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2010, 05:37:28 pm »

Quote from: luong
I don't see why the G10/MF and DSLR/MF statements are incompatible. You shoot a low contrast, high-DOF scene: nothing to differentiate a G10 from MF in a relatively small print, since it's with DR and resolution of both. You shoot a high contrast scene: the system with larger DR produces a print that is dramatically different from the system with lower DR.

True,

In the case of the G10 vs back though another phenomenon was playing. The scene chosen had so much DR that both devices were unable to capture it, or put it otherwise, the exposure of both devices was chosen so as to favor shadows (tree trunks).

The problem many people had with that piece is that Michael didn't focus his essay on explaining why it was possible to pick a scene showing very different devices as being similar, but he just focused on the end result. The takeaway from many folks around (including some friends) was a huge boost in their impression about the abilities of the G10.

Cheers,
Bernard

tokengirl

phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2010, 06:50:28 pm »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2010, 06:51:09 pm »

about DR  ...

It's like measuring a car's horsepower, but DXO measures how much the engine can make on an engine stand while the number that matters to drivers is how much gets to the road.   Both measurements are technically correct, but one matters more when it comes to getting work done and it isn't the DXO number believe me.    Software packages like Imatest make this clear and report several figures for DR using different thresholds.    DSLR's come out on top with engine stand / test lab type numbers but really fall down on the how much power hits the road types of tests.  Not un-commen for those numbers to drop to 70% or even down to half but MFDB don't change all that much.  

So in the end - you both are right, but you're not talking about the same measurement.
Rolleiflex USA

DarkPenguin

phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2010, 07:53:21 pm »

Quote from: EricWHiss
about DR  ...

It's like measuring a car's horsepower, but DXO measures how much the engine can make on an engine stand while the number that matters to drivers is how much gets to the road.   Both measurements are technically correct, but one matters more when it comes to getting work done and it isn't the DXO number believe me.    Software packages like Imatest make this clear and report several figures for DR using different thresholds.    DSLR's come out on top with engine stand / test lab type numbers but really fall down on the how much power hits the road types of tests.  Not un-commen for those numbers to drop to 70% or even down to half but MFDB don't change all that much.  

So in the end - you both are right, but you're not talking about the same measurement.

If the road is the print how can you have 6 stops of difference in a print?

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2010, 07:57:32 pm »

Quote from: EricWHiss
about DR  ...

That would be fine if we were talking about 1, 2 or maybe even 3 stops. But the claim made is 6 stops of difference in DR. To put this into digital perspective, it's akin to comparing a 7-bit image (128 colors) with a monochrome 1-bit image.

Another perspective is that DXO puts 10D and 1D MkIV at only 1 stop apart in DR - and the latter was released almost seven years after the former - so we'd have to compare some mid-90s digital cameras to get to a 6-stop difference.

I wouldn't be surprised if MFDBs do offer higher real-world DR than dSLRs - although all I've seen are "I know better" claims. But putting the gap at 6 stops is akin to saying with a straight face that an Amish horse buggy has similar acceleration as a Bugatti Veyron *

* if you're at all into cars and haven't seen the Top Gear Veyron clip: this is the be-all, end-all of car porn. You have been warned, you will never again look at cars the same way.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2010, 07:59:58 pm »

Software packages like Imatest make this clear and report several figures for DR using different thresholds.  DSLR's come out on top with engine stand / test lab type numbers but really fall down on the how much power hits the road types of tests. Not un-commen for those numbers to drop to 70% or even down to half but MFDB don't change all that much.
If this is true it should be easy to prove by publishing Imatest results to put this matter to rest. I'm not holding my breath, though...
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2010, 08:13:17 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
If this is true it should be easy to prove by publishing Imatest results to put this matter to rest. I'm not holding my breath, though...

Exactly...

Graeme

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2010, 08:20:33 pm »

Quote from: tokengirl

Thank you ever so much for introducing this but of humour. Made my evening!

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2010, 08:28:20 pm »

Quote from: deja
so why bother to put the microlenses at all if they don't increase the amount of light hitting the light sensitive area... so albeit not ideally they still increase the amount of light reaching the needed place.

Certainly if you direct more light in, some of it will hit the light sensitive area.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2010, 08:32:59 pm »

Quote from: feppe
That would be fine if we were talking about 1, 2 or maybe even 3 stops. But the claim made is 6 stops of difference in DR. To put this into digital perspective, it's akin to comparing a 7-bit image (128 colors) with a monochrome 1-bit image.

Another perspective is that DXO puts 10D and 1D MkIV at only 1 stop apart in DR - and the latter was released almost seven years after the former - so we'd have to compare some mid-90s digital cameras to get to a 6-stop difference.

I wouldn't be surprised if MFDBs do offer higher real-world DR than dSLRs - although all I've seen are "I know better" claims. But putting the gap at 6 stops is akin to saying with a straight face that an Amish horse buggy has similar acceleration as a Bugatti Veyron *

* if you're at all into cars and haven't seen the Top Gear Veyron clip: this is the be-all, end-all of car porn. You have been warned, you will never again look at cars the same way.

As I mentioned further above, it should be ABUNDANTLY CLEAR by now that what's going on here is a comparison of apples and oranges. The methods of measuring DR are differing between the 6-7 crew and the 13+ DxO crew, and this MUST BE driving the differences of outcome. If we're into car analogies, this discussion seems like measuring gas mileage where one camp says it's 8 and the other says it's 29.4, and the're both right except that the former is using L/100km and the latter MPG. Those who know both ways in which the DR measurements were likely made could help us a lot by drilling down to show HOW different methods produce such differences of numbers. I have a strong intuition that would collapse the perceived differences and put the matter to rest.

cmi

phase versus hassleblad
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2010, 08:36:06 pm »

By now its quite safe to bet the difference must be about useable and not about total DR.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up