Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image File Number System and Catagories  (Read 1302 times)

PatrickRayDunn

Image File Number System and Catagories
« on: March 08, 2010, 03:31:58 pm »

I need to pick a system for my stock images and also catagories. How do you number your images?

E.G. A-100308-4569.tiff

Patrick Ray Dunn

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 04:30:50 pm »

jobname_yymmdd_0001.ext

I used to have a slightly more complex way with some single letters to identify more stuff, but that added to much to the name length and after a while I thought it was really unnecessary.

tived

• http://
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:48:18 pm »

Quote from: sergio
jobname_yymmdd_0001.ext

I used to have a slightly more complex way with some single letters to identify more stuff, but that added to much to the name length and after a while I thought it was really unnecessary.

Just adding my $02 here,

I would use, NO, I do use, YYYYMMDD_JOBNAME_0001.ext given, that this way it will always be in chronological order. However, there are some issues with this and the above one, in that when you are making contact sheets or are sending things out for printing where they do numbering on the back of the print, they are usually limited by a set number of characters, in these cases, front numbering is a better option, but it makes it a lot harder to quickly find in a large collection IMHO

It will always be a compromise

Henrik

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:20:13 pm »

Quote from: tived
Just adding my $02 here,

I would use, NO, I do use, YYYYMMDD_JOBNAME_0001.ext given, that this way it will always be in chronological order. However, there are some issues with this and the above one, in that when you are making contact sheets or are sending things out for printing where they do numbering on the back of the print, they are usually limited by a set number of characters, in these cases, front numbering is a better option, but it makes it a lot harder to quickly find in a large collection IMHO

It will always be a compromise

Henrik

Agree w. Henrik.  My goal is to always be able to find the originals, instantly.  File length, as long as it remains 64 characters or less, is there to be used.  Nevertheless, I front load the most important information.  I rename all files on import.  
yyyymmdd_JobName_####of####_Location_FileNameFromCamera.Ext.

Date alone will get me close.  JobName+#of# is very likely to be unique (with date it is unique).  JobName+Location tells me (not the machine) what I need to know.  FileNameFromCamera is unique (or nearly so), provides a good backup, and gives me a point from which I can extrapolate the other information if needed.  The underscore characters provide a reliable way to parse the filename if needed.

The best discussion of file-naming (in this context) that I know if is in the Luminous Landscape Guide to DAM video tutorial with Seth Resnick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up