Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaked Canon 5D spec sheet..  (Read 28240 times)

Ben Rubinstein

Leaked Canon 5D spec sheet..
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2005, 07:34:46 am »

I think that the price is going to plummet, maybe due to perception rather than slowing down and looking at the facts. The price is looking to be around $3500 or so list.

EAD

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2005, 01:01:16 pm »

Michael is unusually quiet......

And for whoever may be interested in yet another opinion, here is mine  

I have been long considering the purchase of a 1dMKII/1dsMKII, but have , for some reason stayed with my trusty 20D. The introduction of the APS sized sensor only made our "consumer" life yet a bit more complicated, and I think everybody agrees there are benefits and limitations to every system. For me the 5D (if existent in the rumoured configuration)is a God send. My 24-70 will,once again, be a 24-70 ( and God knows how I love this lense). I have found  difficulties using it with the 20D (due to my needs/style). I dont care for a big , heavy and watersealed body. A small body where my 50-1.8 is again a 50, will make a fantastic street-shooting option. My 24-70(I hardly ever need to go any wider), my 70-300 DO, and throw in the 50 if you feel like it, and you have a powerfull and very compact travel kit(difficult to surpass in my opinion). And ,hey, 13Mp. will be wellcome as well!!  

I bet many buyers(like myself) will be keeping the 20D as well.

On the other hand, I dont believe in Web-leaks. I cant believe anybody in a responsability position can be so clumsy or care-less. If this rumour of the 5D and the 24-105-L turn out to be true, I will regard this as a very clever and  calculated strategy on behalf of Canon.Keeping the interest and the attention....

Waiting for monday (to see if anything happens...)

Happy shooting, wether FF, APS or film is your choice

Erik.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2005, 06:56:02 am »

Well, now it's official.

The leak probably was a marketing ploy.

EOS 5D preview:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos5d/

EOS 1D MkII N blurb:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082208...neos1dmkiin.asp
Jan

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2005, 07:47:16 pm »

If this isn't a hoax, then I'm thoroughly disappointed with the following:

- No water/dust resistance
- No ISO display in the viewfinder.
- Same antiquated AEB
- No hint of improved MLU handling

The following are only minor disappointments to me:

- Only 3 fps
- Worse battery life than the 20D?
- Worse flash X-sync than the 20D?

But there are some noteworthy pluses:

- Full frame (as pointed out)
- 12.8 Mpx
- RGB histogram
- 2.5" 230k pixel LCD
- Can shoot continuously at full speed for more frames than the 20D
- Interchangeable focus screen

If it hadn't been for the lack of water/dust resistance, I'd be at least somewhat interested.

I'll wait for the official word, though.

Frankly, I'm finding it hard to believe that Canon would release a full-frame DSLR at that price point.  It'd be as big a price point breakthrough as the intro of the D30 and the original Digital Rebel.
3459 whatsits? Euro?

If it's Euro, then it's aimed square between 20D and 1D MkII.

I'd have called it a price point breakthrough of that magnitude if it included dust/water resistance and cost something closer to the 20D.
Jan

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2005, 11:05:01 am »

Sync speed is incredibly important. Anyone here use Hi-Sync here regularly, do you know what the working range of hi-sync flash is and why is a 'maybe' solution? Apart from that, what about studio settings, if you're handholding a telephoto (portrait) lens in studio you need every bit of speed you can get, both for sharpness and to negate any background light.
BTW it's the flash that has the hi-sync capability, not the camera.

My 1Ds syncs at 1/250 but my alien bees lights need a slower 1/200, so I wouldn't be losing.

If the FF thing isn't true them I'm cancelling the order, on the other hand if they wanted a camera that would knock Nikon far, far back, a FF body at that price would be it.

Think about it, the D70s is better than the D100 in almost every way, what would a D200 have to sell itself? More Megapixels of course!

Ray

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2005, 09:25:49 pm »

There's something a bit unsatisfactory about a 12.8MP FF sensor. This would be hardly better than the old 1Ds. According to the late Didger and other reports, the 12MP Nikon D2X is actually sharper than the 1Ds, although I wouldn't expect there's much in it. But the fact that one can make such a claim, however marginal the difference might be, would indicate that Canon is just playing catch-up with this rumoured new camera. Not even that. A 35mm camera with a crop factor is, on balance, preferrable to a full frame camera of the same resolving power, except for those for whom the widest posssible angle is a goal.

The advantages of not having to worry about resolution fall-off at the edges and corners; not feeling driven to buy yet more lenses and/or more expensive lenses because of this edge fall-off in performance, makes a camera that directly competes with the D2X the more desirable option for me.

(And I didn't even mention increased DoF for the same FoV and f stop  :D ).

Giedo

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2005, 04:41:01 pm »

This shop in the Netherlands (where I live) says that the new Canon 5D is soon available.. same price tag and pixel count!
www.japancamera.nl  click on 'Canon', then on 'autofocus' and you see it right there announced in the list.
Giedo

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2005, 10:07:42 am »

Ray, I think the issue isn't so much extreme events, but just day-after-day and month-after-month of near-total mechanical and electrical reliability through a wide variety of stressful weather and other environmental conditions. Some people need that, others do not. As for the D2X, regardless of all the great things we hear about it for the price point, and I am a former Nikon owner, I would not contemplate buying into Nikon again until I can be assured of the best possible RAW conversions normally achievable with Adobe Camera Raw when Adobe has more adequate open access to code than Nikon is now willing to provide.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Ray

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2005, 01:36:25 pm »

If full-frame means little to you then the D2x is an option. However, if full-frame is very important the D2x is not an option.
Full frame appears only to have relevance in terms of wide angle shots and shallow DoF. With lenses such as Canon's EF-S 10-22, this wide angle advantage is eroded. How many photographers are searching for shallower DoF?

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2005, 10:16:16 am »

how bad can it be, seriously. Can it have:

Worse image noise than the 1Ds?
worse resolution than the 1Ds?
worse screen than 1Ds?
worse startup time and review time than 1Ds?
worse ergonomics than the 20D?
worse battery time than 1Ds?
worse AF than the 20D?

I just can't see it.

If it is _exactly_ like the 20D with FF and 12 megapixels then that is good enough for me. If it's better in any way then I'm not complaining.

If canon has made a dog then I'll still be able to buy another 1Ds, probably at profit.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2005, 10:52:31 am »

Just called up the local store, for a D2X with 17-55 and 70-200 with VR (I couldn't handhold that thing for portraiture otherwise) - instead of 5D with my 24-70L and 70-200 f4L, I would be losing £2500+, just not worth it. I was trying to be open minded though...

EDIT: I just tried ebay, still over £2000 difference.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2005, 12:48:49 pm »

Pom, I think you've hit the nail on the head - what one gets depends on what one needs, and that depends on the kind of work one does. I must say, however, I haven't experienced troublesome levels of noise and banding with my 1Ds, except under pretty unusual shooting conditions, and the battery is good for a few hundred shots, which is fine for me. I also think one can overdo the issue of comparative build quality unless one is specific about the conditions the camera will be expected to live through!

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2005, 02:03:05 pm »

unfortunately everyone else seems to be waiting for Monday. My 1Ds is on the bay with a Buy it Now about £500 less than it's selling in 2nd hand shops. I thought it would be snapped up and am really worried that it won't make it...

BJL, I can't see any one reason to switch to Nikon and lose money, not one. The 17-55 would be useless as a portrait lens, my  24-70L at the long end is pretty good for portraiture. I don't like the big focus points, the awkward rear control wheel, the less than smooth ergonomics (am I the only one?), the crop viewfinder, the RAW encryption games (who knows what's next) and the sluggishness in updating to new technology.

Gary_Berg

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2005, 07:48:46 pm »

Seems like an odd set of specifications, in two languages.

milanissimo

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2005, 10:59:56 am »

Ok.. personaly I don't care, as I just got 20D and it's wonderful. Here are some "odds" I find about the specs:

1. Full frame in a non 1-D body? They must be joking. I think if it turns out to be real, it will have a 1.3 crop factor sensor
2. DIGIC-II. I think Canon will introduce a new version of it's processor with new pro body (1-D Mark III perhaps?). It's 1,5 year old technology and it still does it's job wonderfuly, Canon will replace this in a near future IMO
3. Quick return half mirror (bla bla).. no cut off with 600 mm f4.0 or shorter.. Now I think every other Canon D-SLR can do this with their mamoth 1200 mm f5.6 - without a cut off. Sounds a bit strange to me.
4. 60 image buffer with a 3fps body? Clearly a joke. What for? 1-D mk. II, which is a 8.3 fps camera has 40 image buffer, Nikon D2Hs, which is 8 fps camera has 50 image buffer.
5. X-sync 1/200 s... It doesn't have onboard flash (it looks like it doesn't). So you have to use external flash, which can be set to high speed sync mode on most of Canon's D-SLR's (if not all, I don't know if it's possible on 300/350D, but I think it is on 350D). And there is not a single word in the speclist about hs x-sync.

Just my thoughts, again, if it turns out to be real, then it's ok. Besides 3500 dolar(euro) camera is not for me.

PS: D200 is just around the corner? People, get use to the fact that Nikon replaced D100 with D70. It lacks some features of D100, but they added some D100 did not have. Just buy D70/s and take picutes, don't wait for D200. And if it's around the corner, in what Nikon segment would it be? 4mpix (2 cams already), 6 mpix (4 cams), 12 mpix (1 cam)?

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2005, 05:22:16 am »

Ray, that you like a crop sensor is the reason why the 1D mkII will still sell. I hate the things, I want my lens to work as it was made, a 24-70L that isn't wider than 30.5mm is no use to me, and no I don't want to have to change lenses in the middle of a moment. I know you are all landscape people but keep in mind that the majority of non landscape photographers need shallow DOF often. I rarely shoot portraits/event work at more than f4/5.6 and I want a portrait shot wide open to look like it!

Canon is not trying to compete with the D2X, that will come soon with a 1 series body. The 5D is aimed at the pro-am or semi-pro market where it will sell faster than hot cakes. It is not by any means a pro body, it looks far more like a 20D than a 1Ds and that is closer to what it's target market will be.

Heck, I'm shooting a 1Ds and it has all the resolution I can handhold. I just don't print bigger than 18X12". A 12.8 megapixel sensor will probably be all that anyone could want for a 35mm camera, you want med format quality, pay for the 1Ds mkII.

Ray

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2005, 10:53:45 pm »

Assuming the 5D is no hoax, and it now seems likely that it isn't, it'll be competing head on with the D2X at a similar price/performance ratio. Because the 5D's pixels will be larger and the sensor possibly a later design, I'd expect this camera to outperform the D2X by a noticeable margin, in particular with regard to resolution and/or noise at high ISO's.

The D2X produces remarkably noise-free images at ISO 3200, but only with noise reduction in high mode, which softens the image quite noticeably. I'd expect the EOS 5D to produce similarly noise-free results at ISO 3200 (and lower ISOs) but without the resolution loss. This is most important because there are lots of ways of reducing noise if one is prepared to suffer a loss of fine detail. Luminance Smoothing in ACR is very effective at this, for example.

I'd also like the facility to autofocus at f8.

Ray

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2005, 10:30:51 am »

I would not contemplate buying into Nikon again until I can be assured of the best possible RAW conversions normally achievable with Adobe Camera Raw when Adobe has more adequate open access to code than Nikon is now willing to provide.
Of course. This is all part of the equation; the pros and cons; factors to considered when buying a camera. The durability issue I'm not particularly paranoid about. Probably because I'm an amateur who was brought up to handle cameras with kid gloves. On the rare occasions I've dropped a camera or lens, I've always been amazed at how robust the equipment has proved to be. It's a matter of expectations.

If money was no issue and I needed the maximum reliability, then of course I'd pay a premium for that extra robustness. If I was tossing up between the 5D and the D2X, I wouldn't even need to pay a premium. That's my point. If the D2X offers more robustness and better focussing, the 5D's got to offer something else desirable at the same price point. The consumer then gets a real choice.

Ray

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2005, 01:28:37 pm »

the 5D's got to offer something else desirable at the same price point.

Ray, why didn't you say so!  I in all seriousness could not work out why people would be comparing these two cameras
I was once married to a Chinese lady. I'm very price conscious.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2005, 10:55:22 am »

Pom, strictly within the realm of the hypothetical - because after all, for most of us it is still a paper camera - you are probably right about all of that. I guess I'm just a bit more conservative, and put more value on the "bird in hand" versus "bird in bush" than you do. It is a hassle changing stuff like this so I like to leave well enough alone until I'm quite sure that all said and done it is really worthwhile. But to each his/her own!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up