Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad CF-22  (Read 2246 times)

mrkjhn

Hasselblad CF-22
« on: March 11, 2010, 01:10:43 pm »

Have the opportunity to purchase a demo version and just wanted anyone's experience or knowledge with this back.  I've shot with Leaf and Phase, and was thinking of upgrading from a 5D to the 1d MK IV, but the price for this back is about the same.  I realize it's apples to oranges, but wanted to find out if there's any real advantage to this back over the Canon; I've no idea how old this back is or if advancements with 35mm has narrowed the differences.  Thanks!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Hasselblad CF-22
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 04:12:55 pm »

Quote from: mrkjhn
Have the opportunity to purchase a demo version and just wanted anyone's experience or knowledge with this back.  I've shot with Leaf and Phase, and was thinking of upgrading from a 5D to the 1d MK IV, but the price for this back is about the same.  I realize it's apples to oranges, but wanted to find out if there's any real advantage to this back over the Canon; I've no idea how old this back is or if advancements with 35mm has narrowed the differences.  Thanks!

You'll need to answer a lot of "what you need it for" answers before the forum can offer any meaningful advice.

- what sorts of things do you shoot?
- how often do you take an image into post with more than basic/minor adjustments?
- do you shoot in studio or on location?
- do you want/need high flash sync speed?
- have you used Phocus (I'm guessing since you've used Leaf/Phase you've used Capture One)?
- do you shoot tethered?
- what is the highest ISO you need?
- are you looking for a camera that would do everything you currently do with the 5D or to compliment your 5D?
- are you comfortable with manual focus?
- do you shoot a waist level viewfinder?
- since you have experience with MFD (leaf/phase) which systems have you tried and what did you like/dislike about them?

I'd offer the same advice I offer everyone:
   - resist the temptation to find a deal and then evaluate whether it will work for you, instead find out what will work for you and try to find a deal on it. That (selfishly) includes seeing what a Phase/Leaf (ourselves or another dealer) can offer at the same price range
   - don't buy anything until you've used it in a typical shoot from start (assembly, preparation, setup) to delivery (including importing/tethering, editing, adjusting, processing, and post processing)

In general you get what you pay for. But the big exception is that if you don't need specific features/conveniences that the majority of the market buy-side demands you can get a bargain. A Phase One H25 for instance has no autofocus, no LCD, and no internal storage (tethered only) but offers absolutely fantastic image quality - since it lacks those conveniences the market price is driven down to prices much less than the image quality would imply and is an amazing bargain for those shooters who will be shooting  tethered with manual focus.  

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Nick-T

Hasselblad CF-22
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 04:22:21 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
A Phase One H25 for instance

I must read these threads more closely I could have sworn the guy was asking about Hasselblad....

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

Jason Denning

• http://www.jasondenning.co.uk
Hasselblad CF-22
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 04:37:55 pm »

Hi,

If you don't end up buying the back, I would be interested to know who is selling it and at what price as I am looking for one.

Thanks

Jason

mrkjhn

Hasselblad CF-22
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 05:19:32 pm »

- what sorts of things do you shoot?

People and product.  

- how often do you take an image into post with more than basic/minor adjustments?

Often, and being a hammer, everything looks like a nail in Photoshop.

- do you shoot in studio or on location?

Equal.

- do you want/need high flash sync speed?

No, but it's always nice.

- have you used Phocus (I'm guessing since you've used Leaf/Phase you've used Capture One)?

No, but completely at home with Capture One.  Have used Leaf, but not it's latest incarnation.

- do you shoot tethered?

Yes, but would love to also be able to shoot untethered.

- what is the highest ISO you need?

- are you looking for a camera that would do everything you currently do with the 5D or to compliment your 5D?

Compliment.

- are you comfortable with manual focus?

When used with MF, and what I'd be shooting with it (people/product), yes.

- do you shoot a waist level viewfinder?

Yes, and love them for personal work.

- since you have experience with MFD (leaf/phase) which systems have you tried and what did you like/dislike about them?

Like them all, though lean towards Capture One, but wish the backs had better LCD screens (I know, picky but.....)

The advise you offer is great.  To be clear, my real needs are for something along the lines of 1d MKIV or 3DX; most of my stuff is fast, quick, spontaneous people/lifestyle/portrait shooting, where the need for accurate quick focus and high ISO is a huge plus.  HOWEVER, I realize the place for MF backs, and much of my other work suits a slower, higher quality  output, hence looking at the CF-22.

rhsu

Hasselblad CF-22
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 12:15:30 am »

The advise you offer is great.  To be clear, my real needs are for something along the lines of 1d MKIV or 3DX; most of my stuff is fast, quick, spontaneous people/lifestyle/portrait shooting, where the need for accurate quick focus and high ISO is a huge plus.  HOWEVER, I realize the place for MF backs, and much of my other work suits a slower, higher quality  output, hence looking at the CF-22.

Hands on experience (not rumours)... stick with the said Canon or Nikon upgrade - (at least they are weather proof)!    

If using MF DB as a "DSLR", both Phase and "others" are okay (no perfect system).  However, the NEW Phase LF lenses from Scheider have amazing specs (have not tested myself - trying to sell my CF39 so I can get one!).  If using MF with technical cameras/lenses, CF is far better choice to the H series DB.

Check with them whether FW upgrade is still available for CF-22.  I have read interesting frustrations on Hasselblad Forum (Nick T may enlighten you here) about CF22 support.

I use my Nikon for photo-journalism - ave 1,000 clicks per brief.  I use MF DB with technical camera for critical landscape work - where I have all morning to compose a shot.

NOTE:  The 22mp sensor is a 9 micron pixel CCD.  The said Canon and Nikon CMOS are "deemed" sharper with 4microns (?).  Both Canon and Nikon lenses have caught up with their high resolution CMOS sensors.  At least Canon has!

Confusing?  You bet!  At least I am giving you my first hand encounter and NOT rumours.

vandevanterSH

Hasselblad CF-22
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:22:23 am »

To be clear, my real needs are for something along the lines of 1d MKIV or 3DX; most of my stuff is fast, quick, spontaneous people/lifestyle/portrait shooting, where the need for accurate quick focus and high ISO is a huge plus.
You answered your own questions...one of those two systems.  IMHO, for your shooting style,  MFD would be trying to ram a very square peg into a round hole...

Steve

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad CF-22
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 02:46:12 am »

The CF22 is in many aspects similar to the CF39 however with the latest firmware the CF39 got ISO800 and CF22 did not. It is limited to ISO400 and the usability of that is limited.

Output of the back is great and the adapterplate system allows you to use it on a wide variety of systems.

As you already mentioned it is not suitable for the majority of your work, being fast lifestyle with occassional higher ISO. For working slowly, low ISO with high quality output it will be fine.

I use CF39 & CF39MS.

Jason Denning

• http://www.jasondenning.co.uk
Hasselblad CF-22
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 03:08:02 pm »

How much are you trying to sell your cf-39 for? I may be interested? How useable is 800 iso on it?

Thanks

Jason

Quote from: rhsu
Hands on experience (not rumours)... stick with the said Canon or Nikon upgrade - (at least they are weather proof)!    

If using MF DB as a "DSLR", both Phase and "others" are okay (no perfect system).  However, the NEW Phase LF lenses from Scheider have amazing specs (have not tested myself - trying to sell my CF39 so I can get one!).  If using MF with technical cameras/lenses, CF is far better choice to the H series DB.

Check with them whether FW upgrade is still available for CF-22.  I have read interesting frustrations on Hasselblad Forum (Nick T may enlighten you here) about CF22 support.

I use my Nikon for photo-journalism - ave 1,000 clicks per brief.  I use MF DB with technical camera for critical landscape work - where I have all morning to compose a shot.

NOTE:  The 22mp sensor is a 9 micron pixel CCD.  The said Canon and Nikon CMOS are "deemed" sharper with 4microns (?).  Both Canon and Nikon lenses have caught up with their high resolution CMOS sensors.  At least Canon has!

Confusing?  You bet!  At least I am giving you my first hand encounter and NOT rumours.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 03:10:39 pm by Jason Denning »
Pages: [1]   Go Up