Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sorting by star rating in LR 3 beta  (Read 1835 times)

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
sorting by star rating in LR 3 beta
« on: February 26, 2010, 06:05:31 pm »

Am I missing something?
How do I sort by start rating in LR 3?
I have a bunch of 1 star rated images, and want to see only those images. How?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 07:04:18 pm »

By using Smart Collections?

Richowens

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 07:19:13 pm »

"\" key brings up library filter, click on attributes and pick your stars.

Or create a smart collection.

Rich

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 02:56:35 pm »

Quote from: soboyle
Am I missing something?
How do I sort by start rating in LR 3?
I have a bunch of 1 star rated images, and want to see only those images. How?

How to sort:
From the Lightroom menu bar:  "View>>Sort>>Rating".  Note that you can sort ascending or descending.
This command is also accessible from the toolbar.  (Press "t" to toggle the toolbar on and off.)  Click the "Sort Criteria" drop-down list and select "Rating".  Note that you can sort ascending or descending.

How to filter in place:
("Sort" and "Filter" describe different operations.)
(Good directions given above.)
Press the backslash key ("\") to show/hide the filtering tool in the viewer.  Click "Attribute" and click the left-most of the five stars.  Note that you can click the operator symbol to change between "This rating and more", "This rating and fewer", and "Only this rating".
This operation is also available from the filmstrip toolbar.  ("F6" shows/hides the filmstrip.)
Note that in both cases you can remove a rating filter by clicking just left of the leftmost star (the star will 'un-illuminate' after you move your mouse cursor).
Note that the filter sometimes ends up right below very similar icons used to apply attributes.

How to filter into a new collection:
Create a Smart Collection.

Additional notes:
. You can save any filter.  From the filter drop-down list (which will show "Custom Filter"), select "Save current settings as new preset".
. You can toggle the entire filter on and off by clicking the 'light switch' control at the end of the filmstrip toolbar.  You filter settings are saved even when the filter is off.
. The filter is source-sensitive.  By default the filter will be turned off when you change sources (e.g.: select another collection).  This can be over-ridden by clicking the 'lock' icon on the far left of the viewer filter control.
. Clicking "None" in the Library Filter seems to be exactly the same as selecting "Filter Off" from the drop-down which seems to be the same as clicking the 'light switch' on the filmstrip toolbar.

Bonus Q:
Anyone know if it is possible to save a custom filter as a Smart Collection?  This should be straightforward.

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 03:02:44 pm »

Thank you, I did discover how it worked shortly after posting this rather hasty message.
I will be purchasing Michael's LR tutorial once they update it for LR3.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 03:09:46 pm »

Quote from: soboyle
Thank you, I did discover how it worked shortly after posting this rather hasty message.
I will be purchasing Michael's LR tutorial once they update it for LR3.
I purchased it a few weeks ago, and I'm glad I did.  I was new to LR (I've never even seen LR2), and it builds a reasonable familiarity from which I was able to move outwards.

Here is Michael's note on using the tutorials w. LR3b:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/LR2.shtml#1

Note too that Michael is working on a video tutorial for Capture One.  Not sure when the LR3 video is coming out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up