Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on alternative sharpening techniques  (Read 2960 times)

NigelC

Advice on alternative sharpening techniques
« on: February 05, 2010, 04:39:34 am »

I've looked aropund the LL site for something on alternative sharpening techniques, but wonder if someone can point me to a practical guide/download/book on sharpening that evaluates pros/cons of different approaches to output sharpening (limited to PS) e.g., unsharp mask, smart sharpen, sharpening in lab colour mode, high pass sharpening? And also getting balance right between capture sharpening and output sharpening

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:00:47 am »

The definitive book on this subject is "Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop; Camera Raw, and Lightroom" by Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

NigelC

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 10:44:14 am »

Quote from: Mark D Segal
The definitive book on this subject is "Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop; Camera Raw, and Lightroom" by Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe.

Thanks

bjanes

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 11:02:32 am »

Quote from: Mark D Segal
I have both editions of the Real World Sharpening books and recommend them highly, but they deal with standard sharpening techniques such as the unsharp mask and high pass filter. Alternative sharpening techniques such as deconvolution (actually image restoration) are hardly discussed. Here are a few links discussing alternatives:

DPReview, Cambridge in Colour, LuLa, ClarkVision
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 11:09:52 am by bjanes »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:57:40 pm »

Quote from: bjanes
Alternative sharpening techniques such as deconvolution (actually image restoration) are hardly discussed.

Hardly discussed, indeed. A major portion (I'm 2/3rds through a copy) of the second edition deals with avoiding Halos. A real pitty, since there is a huge difference between acutance (edge contrast, AKA halo) and actually increased resolution. All those I've pointed to 'real' sharpening (AKA resolution reconstruction) have responded in terms of "my images became alive", "POP without visible halos". There are unfortunately only a few tools to accomodate it.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Gurglamei

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 02:52:48 am »

Quote from: BartvanderWolf
Hardly discussed, indeed. A major portion (I'm 2/3rds through a copy) of the second edition deals with avoiding Halos. A real pitty, since there is a huge difference between acutance (edge contrast, AKA halo) and actually increased resolution. All those I've pointed to 'real' sharpening (AKA resolution reconstruction) have responded in terms of "my images became alive", "POP without visible halos". There are unfortunately only a few tools to accomodate it.

Cheers,
Bart

Sounds interesting. May I ask if you could share which tools you are using, and prehaps a bit on a suggested workflow?

Christopher

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:05:39 am »

Quote from: Gurglamei
Sounds interesting. May I ask if you could share which tools you are using, and prehaps a bit on a suggested workflow?

The preferred workflow depends on what your goal is, and what the quality of your base material is. The above mentioned book gives a good overview of what can be done with the traditional tools in Lightroom and Photoshop, but I have a different opinon about the default use of Capture sharpening and the method used. One can best do noise reduction and removal of chromatic aberration artifacts at this initial state.

I'd made a distinction between upsampling, e.g. for large format output and matching the native PPI resolution of the printer, and downsampling, e.g. for web display. They both benefit from using different methods/tools.

So you have to ask yourself, what is your base material, which system was used to produce the image file? That will already steer how to proceed further. Assuming a digital camera was used, the first step is to use a good Raw converter. A good Raw conversion will produce a better base image to do postprocessing on. Some Raw converters also allow to boost productivity e.g. by integrating tethered shooting and good postprocessing options, so that would already steer the workflow. A program like Capture One Pro also has pretty good sharpening capabilities, including the possibility to correct for sharpness fall-off towards the corners. Some cameras produce files that are more difficult to sharpen, but most cameras use an AA-filter which introduces some additional softness that could be restored with a process called 'deconvolution' restoration (real sharpening instead of edge contrast / acutance boosting).

I prefer to not sharpen before downsampling, not even capture sharpen (it also saves time to skip a non-productive step). You can find some more background info in this thread. I show examples of using FocusMagic as a deconvolution restoration/sharpening tool there.

For enlarged output files one can either (capture) sharpen at the original size (after noise reduction if needed), then enlarge/upsample and do a final sharpening to compensate for the enlargement and output medium losses, and tuned to viewing distance. But one can also do all the sharpening at the final output file size. Depending on one's tools there is a risk of introducing artifacts at a smaller size, and then enlarge those artifacts. On the other hand, depending on one's tools, enlarging itself can also introduce artifacts, and sharpening after enlarging will accentuate those artifacts, so what's best depends on image content and tools used.

In general when using Photoshop it is beneficial to use a sharpening layer (or layers) set to Luminosity blending mode with a "blend if" roll off towards things that are already high contrast to avoid clipping and reduce halo risks. Something like this:
[attachment=20371:Non_clip...arpening.png]
It gives lots of control because one can tweak the blend-if parameters and later add masks for selective sharpening and tweak the opacity of the layer.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:07:58 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Gurglamei

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 03:09:22 pm »

Quote from: BartvanderWolf
The preferred workflow depends on what your goal is,

Cheers,
Bart

Thank you very much Bart,

that gave me quite a bit to digest. I have started to read through the link you suggested.

Christopher
Pages: [1]   Go Up